Martin Duran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roooter

Registered
Reaction score
has anyone here had any experience diving with Martin Duran out of Playa del Carmen, Mexico? this man's name keeps popping up on a travel board. apparently he's a master diver who takes divers over to Cozumel. it worries me that new divers (one's who are either doing a discover scuba course or referrals) are being told to go out with a master diver. is he actually a dive master or instructor???

If he is a proffessional he will be listed on the PADI Members webpage. As I am only rescue I do not have access to the database - however if you know a padi pro. they should be able to find out what qualifcation he does or doesnt have!

I share your concern that people who are underqualified are taking people out such as this - its a problem in the diving industry that would be a hard one to tackle :(

about Martin, I have dove in Playa quite a bit and never heard his name, but there are ALOT of dive operators there so that means very little. I am in no way discouraging you from using Martin (since I know nothing about him), but if you want a great DiveMaster that is extremely safety conscious and great with new divers as well look up Niko Fountas at Beach Divers. Beach Divers is right down near the ferry pier in Playa. They are two doors down from Burger King on the corner, you can't miss them. Niko's protege Susan is also excellent and very safety/new diver aware.

Also, you can probably go over to Cozumel and dive some with them if you want to dive Coz as well. They would likely want to dive with you in Playa at an easy dive to see how you dive before comitting to take you over to Cozumel, however.

btw-my wife and I did our first dive trip ever with them and have been back to Playa/Coz several times since and used other operators as well and find Beach Divers to be excellent (mainly due to Susan and Niko). As a new diver avoid AquaWorld at all costs. We dove with them at the beginning of said first dive trip and I will never do business with them ever again for several reasons.

thanks for the info!
I have since found out that Martin is a Master Diver who will take experienced divers over to Cozumel. my concern was that he was recommended to a person who is planning on taking a discover scuba course once they get to Playa. from what I've learned, Martin won't take anyone with him that is not certified. that's good to know.
Narced, I agree with you about Aqua World. my brother-in-law dealt with them once & got screwed. we dive with Phantom Divers while we're there. the dive masters/instructors are fantastic. VERY safety conscience, patient, & a lot of fun to dive with.

Glad to hear you found someone good to deal with. It seems that both some the best and worst dive ops in the world are in that area...

I am interested to hear what trouble your relative had with AquaWorld, I am writing a letter to PADI about them and my experience with them after hearing from another diver in my area about their terrible experience with them as well. With AquaWorld on site at many hotels in and near Playa they are in a position to attract new divers to whom I feel they (AquaWorld) are the worst danger.

Our bad experience with them ranged from the simple lack of caring and response to our experience levels to giving other divers substandard equipment (we had our own) at the dive site in the jungle and then demanding they either use the crappy equipment or lose their money, to just plain terrible customer service and also trying to overcharge us siginificantly to the point I had to have my CC company intervene and deny payment.

The reall wonderful thing about trying to resolve an issue with the rude punks working at the counter in our hotel was that they would just tell us to complain to the hotel if we were upset. The hotel would then inform us that AquaWorld simply rented the booth and that they had no control over their business practices. To the hotel's defense, one manager did go and demand to speak to an AquaWorld manager on our behalf after heariong part of our story. He was put off by them as well but did raise quite a stink on our behalf and was blatantly surprised ay AquaWorld's attitude as well. He told us this was not the first time they had had trouble with AquaWorld treating guests like this and actually suggested a couple of dive opps off site and promised to make sure the hotel owners were made aware as well.

Excuse my spelling above, I was typing a bit too fast. To clarify a little, we had purchased a package through them for several days of diving and then they kept overbooking themselves to the point they could not honor taking us out for the dives we had payed for.

After not only our experience at the cenotes with them, but also not being able to dive for several consecutive days because everytime we would report to the booth we were told to take a taxi (at our expense) to Puerto Aventura to meet the boat. Upon arriving we would be told that there was no room for us etc. By the time this has happened and you return to the hotel or Playa it is too late in the day to schedule dives with another op.

Day one, we dove the cenotes. Equipment, discussion, and attention to safety (and cavern diving restrictions) were all non-existent. Day two I get the run around described above. On day two I complain to the booth and it seems they were truly mistaken. I am nonetheless miffed that I receive no apology or offer to make ammends for the taxi money I am out. Day 3, we report to the booth and are this time told we cannot dive that day, they are too busy. This day we managed to get in with Beach Divers (excellent op) and at least get to dive.

Day 4, we get the same run around of taxiing down to Puerto Aventuras and then being told the boat is full. At this point I am furious and let the dive shop there know it. The employess at the AquaWorld shop at Puerto Aventuras tell me they did not book me and I must talk to the booth at the hotel. I discuss with them what it means to provide customer service and be a decent human being in general before paying for my fourth useless cab back to the hotel.

Upon arrival at the hotel I take a few moments to have a drink and in general calm down before going to the booth. My wife and I agree that we have simply had far more than enough of AquaWorld and would much rather schedule as many dives as we can with Beach Divers regardless of if we can get our money bacl from AquaWorld or not.

I then go to the booth and tell them we were denied diving again. The "booth punk" tells me I can see about diving the next day then (still no apology at all).

At this time I ask him if this is how they normally do business. He tells me yes, they are very busy. I tell him that we paid for dives that they are not providing to us and I expect a pro-rated refund for the dives we have not been able to do (I actually asked that he deduct the full normal non-package cost of the cenote dives from my refund).

He tells me we bought a package and if we do not wish to do our remaining dives that is our decision and there will be no refunds. I told him that it was their fault we could not dive, NOT ours. At this point he tells me talk to the hotel then. The hotel manager was appalled at my story and told me he could not force them to remedy the situation but would discuss it with them on my behalf. The manager and "booth punk" spoke too quickly (in spanish) for me to understand, but the manger was getting quite angry.

Finally the manger informed me that AquaWorld would be willing to refund our package minus the cenote dive. The booth had the old run the card over the metal plate and then call it in method for credit cards. I was given a receipt for the refund. Upon returning home we were not surprised to see the refund was never called in. Upon sending my receipt to the cc company they denied payment to AquaWorld and I was not charged.

This was our first dive vacation.

sorry Narced,
I was away a few days. your story is WAY worse than my brother-in-law's. they were there in the fall of 1998 & had booked a snorkel trip. in the meantime hurricane Mitch was barreling down on them & they were evacuated (to Cancun). of course there were rough seas & they were unable to do the trip. when they got home Chris' fiance (who is a travel agent) wrote to Aqua World repeatedly to get either a refund or a voucher they could use on another trip. she never got a response. when they finally got back down there 16mo later, Aqua World would not honor their receipt. they said that too much time had passed for them to do anything about it. there was a big argument & Aqua World won.
this past April, we went back again. Chris' son decided to do the discover scuba course & booked it thru the booth at the hotel...you guessed it...Aqua World. they had to catch a cab to Porto Adventuras, then a boat ride to Cozumel & did their dives over there. Chris said that the instructor was good, the dives were good & a buffet lunch was provided after diving. then they were given a couple of hours for shopping/sight seeing/etc. he just thought it was a big hastle to do a couple of dives & wished that he had gone thru a local shop.
I've heard too many instances like yours where people booked & trip & couldn't get out. or if they did get on the boat, the divers WAY outnumbered the dive masters. & little or no consideration was shown reguarding experience levels.
I would never consider diving with them. & strongly urge others that are thinking about booking any type of trip with them to look elsewhere.

I am glad to hear that no one got hurt you knew, I think it is just a matter of time until something really bad happens with that operation. The attitude that I have either seen myself or heard from others is just a complete lack of caring.

Anyhow, I obviously second your warning to anyone diving in the area to steer clear. There are certainly some great aperators in the area as well. It is sad that the absolutely great operators are struggling to get by but providing excellent service and well maintained equipment while operations like AW seem to be thriving.

with you on that. the operators that we've used, have been extremely safety conscience. then you get one of the biggest ops that just don't care. I just hope that no one that dives with them gets hurt.
good luck with PADI on this issue. we couldn't get Chris to file a complaint (he felt it was a customer service...not a diving...issue) in '98. it sounds to me like you have a valid complaint with documentation.

and please let me say that I hope to God no-one gets hurt with them either. Unfortunately, I think it is probably going to happen sooner or later if they handle things the way I saw on a regular basis.

I was just digging up my CC statments last night to include with the letter. What I am really wishing I had done in retrospect was get names and contact info for the other divers that were bullied into using bad equipment as well as I feel that they were really put in a bad position.

I am still frustrated by the big business mentality and success of operations like this while watching excellent and accomodating operations struggle to compete with the big boys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom