Mask cleaning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After diving, I rinse my mask and let it dry. Recently I have noticed that i am getting a green growth inside the mask at the corners.

What can I use to clean my mask that will not destroy the mask, but will prevent the growth.

Perhaps try a little bit of baking soda mixed into a fine paste. Rub it in with your fingers or brush with a soft tooth brush then rinse with clean water.

Use this on my mask periodically and it seems to work, with no damage to the mask or skirt. :crafty:

Divegoose

I don't just rinse mine, I soak it well after every dive day. If I see it getting the tiniest bit grotty, it gets the good wash. The other thing is that my mask is stored in its case, which is almost only closed when mask is dry . . . but just in case, I keep some desiccants in the mask case. Like these: 1 Gram Silica Gel Canister Food Grade - SilicaGelPackets.com

Haven't had to buy any, they just seem to turn up in vitamin and/or prescription bottles.

If you travel to dive in tropical areas, it should be noted that cockroaches like to chew on the skirts of some masks . . . another reason to keep them in their case when not in use and another reason to need a desiccant.

Last edited:
I am guessing that you leave it in the case with the lid on. Always keep it stored in the case without the cover unless there are skits eating cockroaches.

I am guessing that you leave it in the case with the lid on. Always keep it stored in the case without the cover unless there are skits eating cockroaches.

I always use a hot nail and burn a hole in each corner of the case, it's too small to allow cockroaches in but allows some air in. I always rinse and soak my mask after use and give it a good clean with warm soapy water if its going to be stored for any length of time. I've never had any "growth" on it.

I think it was chickdiver who gave me the dishwasher tip -- it works a treat, but make sure you have the dishwasher set on air dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom