Mask clearing as the first skill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm particularly confused about the static breath hold since we're taught not to hold our breath - do you mean keeping our airway open but not moving our diaphragm on that one?

Since I'm already expecting flames I'll step in here as well. Equalizing Ears is also one of the pages of the Flipchart, and it says "pinch your nose and blow" a couple pages after telling us to "never hold our breath." I make every body laugh by having them copy me pinching and blowing, without holding our breath. Plenty of air comes out our mouths and none goes in our ears when we pinch and blow without holding our breath, especially when you are laughing as well. Then I tell them it's the lawyers and insurance companies that "make" agencies say things like "never hold your breath" but in fact beginners have to hold their breath every time we equalize while descending.

Before my Intro divers get near the pool they know every one who says "never hold your breath" is just parroting a stupid liability slogan!

It is not an agency requirement. But it is a good skill to have new people do. One of the best ways to see if scuba is for them. Some will get it right off, other will have minor issues, once in a while one will totally freak. This is the one who should take up tennis.

As I read the PADI Standards, mask clearing is a required skill before moving past Confined Water #1 or the Intro Confined Water session.

I have never had a problem with any would be tennis players. Marathoners and midwestern wrestlers are my most common nose breathers that cant handle masks. I've seen both those sports coaches hammering not to breath through the mouth; wrestling coaches are the worst about that (never let 'em see that your tired!).

There are a number of things PADI teaches that are of debatable value, but I don't think mask clearing is one of them. Masks sometimes get flooded under water and if you can't clear it, then you can't effectively read your gauges, computer or compass and could have a difficult time safely resurfacing.

It seems to me that if you can't handle a little water in your face during training that you don't have any business diving. It is a potentially dangerous sport and while prospective divers shouldn't have to be navy SEAL candidates, they should at least be prepared to deal with the potential hazards they might have to face under water.

at what point do you teach a student to clear their mask?
First time they're in the water.

It is not an agency requirement.

Actually, for most agencies (including all of the RSTC agencies) it is a required skill. Are you saying that SEI doesn't require divers know how to clear their mask?

Wow, thanks for these informative posts. I think I'm coming over to do a refresher course of some basics with you guys: you sound like fantastic instructors!

First time they're in the water.

Actually, for most agencies (including all of the RSTC agencies) it is a required skill. Are you saying that SEI doesn't require divers know how to clear their mask?

It is a required skill for certification and if going into OW with a discover. It is not required on an intro experience where all you are doing is getting in the pool for a few minutes and swimming around. It is explained and I demo it but the person is not required to perform it. If there is an OW dive planned as part of the experience then yes, mask clearing must be performed prior to the OW dive.

We are also required to have them swim and snorkel first to observe their comfort in the water before putting them on scuba. There may be SEI instructors who have suitable OW locations to conduct OW discovers. I do not. The lakes/quarries here are too far, vis too low(usually), and there is not much to see. I'd also have to charge 75 bucks a person or more for an intro where they would not see much except mud and a few fish.

It should be noted that some discover scuba, intros, etc around here regardless of agency are many times done with no fins. I use them in mine but the intro's done in western pa usually involve putting a bc on someone with with a mask, going over the basic safety protocols and slowly intorducing them to the water. They have a discover at the zoo every year where PADI provides a portable pool, a PADI shop provides the gear, and they do a brief overview and let people get in the water for 15 minutes or so on scuba. They do not watch a video go over a flipchart, etc and they'll put 50-100 people thru in a day for their 10-15 minutes underwater.

My intro's are an hour underwater where I do show them mask clear and have them try it(they are not required to get it perfect), reg recovery, buoyancy control, and neutral swimming. All of the skills are done horizontal and we then toss a torpedo, frisbee, etc. Before going under we do no mask breathing with regs in and faces in the water. This is more than most do around here. I have worked with a couple PADI instructors and a NAUI instructor while a DM and none of them REQUIRED the participants to clear a mask if they did not want to try to. We are not putting anyone in OW around here on discovers. It is just not done. OW on scuba comes when they are doing their checkout dives after a full course.

There is also no such thing as a "Scuba Diver" cert in the SEI system requiring a pro to be with the diver in OW. A diver is a diver. They need to complete the full class to receive any kind of cert. Ratios for intro are max 4:1 in pool and 2:1 in OW. 25 yd swim test required. If ow is being done then 50 yd swim and 3 minute tread float without aids. Min age 12. 30 ft max depth.

... Second I teach independent control of the nose and mouth.

Very interesting, I find that this is the first "skill" that starts to slip with lack of practice. I can easily keep ahead of it by no-mask swimming etc. -but always feel a moment of apprehension until I get back in synch.

How do you teach this skill to the completely uninitiated?

One of the things that may be going on with the instructor in his defense( very weak one but still), is he under a shop's timetable......

The tough time schedule might be the reason, so I would suggest to change the dive shop and go somewhere else to take the course.

It can be a problem, but if presented correctly, it's a pretty easy skill to learn. Most problems clearning a mask is because the skill was not taught well............

Agree 100% with this. I was able to teach my wife how to do it and she would never put her head under water before.

Back
Top Bottom