Mask clearing-finding out the hard way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cookenup

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, thought I would post this helpful hint following a bad experience with my OW dives. Let me begin with my bad learning experience, which led to a cure

Just a short 2 months ago, I took a local 2 day PADI class, which included 2 pool sessions each day. My instructors name was Sarah, who had over 400 dives under her belt. Well on my 2nd dive, we had to remove our mask for 1 minute, then replace it...WHAT? take my mask off, swim across the pool, then replace it? YIKES!! well, i got as far as filling the mask 1/2 full before panic set in, and water was in my nose, I went to the top (15 feet) after choking a second, my young instructor said to me, relax and try again. With heart racing, and everone (10 people) watching on the bottom, I tried again,... and again...finally, she said to come 1 hour early for class the second day, and we'd practice.

I showed up the next day, and went into the pool, after working in the shallow end with a new, better fitting mask, I was able to clear, remove mask, and then join the others and complete the task without any problems.

2 weeks later was the ow checkoffs in 55 degree water, wearing a 7mm wet suit at 20 feet, with 5 foot, yes, 5 foot visibility in a quarry in Kentucky. We got to the 20 foot platform, barely able to see each other, and we went for a "fun dive" that's what padi calls the first dive...well, my buddy went in front of me, and after about 10 seconds, all I could see was his white fin dissapear into the ozone, GONE! I became disoriented and for a second, couldn't tell up from down, it was soooo weird. Anyway, I decided to go to the surfacve instead of risking getting caught in something.

After rejoining my group at the surface, we again desended to then 20 foot platform, where we all kneeled down for the dreaded mask removal. I was already freaked out, so when that really cold water hit my nose...I immediately shot for the surface, choking on water, thought I was going to drown!!! My instructor told me to come the next day and practice with the divemaster before doing the skill.

The next day it was raining and colder, but I was certain I was going to do this! Before I ever went into the water, my Instructor walked up to me and said "you have to get this, if you don't get it today, you might consider not becoming a scuba diver"....Yes, she actually said that, there, in the rain, first thing in the morning. At that moment, I failed, in my head, I failed....so...when I went into 8 foot of water with the divemaster, with bluegills biting at my mask, and tried to clear, all I could hear were those words, and I could not go on........why did I tell you all this before getting to the point???!!!!

2 weeks after this, I called another dive shop, and told them my sob story, the instructor said, "that instructor should not teach" and said we would have a fun, good experience in Alabama. Now... the visibility was a little better, not much though, about 15 feet, and I still wore a 7mm wet suit, but I was able to go down 18 feet and easily do a partial fill, then a full mask clear and removal, with no trouble AT ALL!!! well what made the difference you ask...and this brings us to what I learned about mask clearing the hard way....

1. Find a school with kind, patient, knowledgable instructors

2. Be sure you are going to do OW checkoffs in an environment with a relatively comfortable water temperature, with visibiblity at or greater than 20 feet. (this greatly decreases the chance of claustrophobia)

3. when practicing mask clearing, let water in SLOWLY, FROM THE TOP of the mask, not the side or bottom!...this way, if the water is not really warm, it will warm slowly as it fills, not hitting your nose first with a cold blast, taking your breath away, and causing panic.

4. I cannot stress this step enough...I went to a local pool just a few days before checkoffs, with my snorkel and mask. I swam first with my snorkle and no mask, letting the water cover my nose just up to my eyes, keeping eyes dry above the water, with snorkel in mouth, I walked or swam around until I was completely ok with my nose under the water, breathing slowly in and out of my mouth...then, I would put my mask on, snorkel in mouth, and holding onto the ladder in the deeper end, I would practice clearing my mask, starting with letting water in from the top 1/2 way, then clear, then fill it, clear, repeating until it felt fine, then I swam without snorkel or mask, to feel comfortable with the water on my whole face while swimming a short distance underwater, then I would fill mask slowly, gently remove it, then put it back on...after this pool time, about 1 1/2-2 hours...I had no trouble at all doing this, and on a recent dive in cozumel, I cleared my mask at 38 feet, just to clear my mask!!!!

5. Your thinking is your worst enemy in mask clearing, proven to me by the heartless instructor who almost succeeded in sabotaging my love for the diving, which has now become one of te loves of my life. Relax, make it fun, not a chore, if the situation feels wrong, stop and relax. I do not recommend breathing out of your nose at all, because I think that could cause panic if water enters your mask at 70 feet, and you inhale it, if you get comfortable with breathing sllowly in and out of your mouth, as ion the pool practice, you will not even care about water in your mask. Just practice in a YMCA or other pool on your own till you clear effortlessly, then go get certified....

6. When removing your mask, try slowly letting water in from the top till full, then gently remove the mask. To replace it, put the mask to your face first, getting it into position on your face, the gently slip the strap over your head. For ease of strap placement, I use the neoprene strap, it easily glides off and on for easy placement.

Hope this helps prevent a bad experience similar to what I am reading is so common among new divers....feel free to email with questions, and...HAPPY DIVING

Wow, interesting how different people feel comfortable in different environments. I'm just the opposite about letting water in from the top vice the bottom. I'd much rather have the water hit my nose before my eyes because under water I'm more likely to want to see things than try to breath through my nose.

I think the key is practicing and finding out what you are most comfortable with in a given environment. I did my open water dives in 40ish degree water and kept water in my mask most of the time to prevent fogging. When my body warmed the water up to the point I started fogging, I'd mostly clear and then seep a little "fresh" (cold) water in again. I found keeping my face horizontal kept the water out of my nose and I had no problems.

Visibility is another issue. I'd like to have done my dives in a place with high visibility, but we had about 7 feet the first day and maybe 10-12 feet the second day. I guess you work with what you've got at the time.

Good instruction is definitely a big factor though.

One point to clarify: Was the girl that showed up an hour early to help you, the same one that made the rude comment about not being a scuba diver? I'm thinking no?

Just to commiserate with you. I'm a very self-confident, in shape, military man that is not scared of much. Have literally flown low level in Iraq laughing my butt off while tracer rounds zipped by my wind screen. I was absolutely terrified of the no-mask swim.

To further help others that may be fearing that skill, here's what I did to overcome the issue.

Practice breathing (out of the water - at your desk, in bed, wherever) in through your mouth and out through your nose. This allows you to get proficient at closing off the canal that connects your nose to your throat.

When you do this skill in the water, do not be in a hurry to breath. Take a moment to flex the muscles that close this opening before you take your first breath. When you exhale the first time, pause just a moment to reset again. Once you do it successfully a couple of times, you'll wonder why it ever bothered you to begin with.

The same sort of process works well with full mask removal and replacement and clearing. Before you take it off, get a good breath. When you replace the mask and go to clear it, make a nice controlled exhalation through your nose but don't let all of your air out so that you don't feel like you just have to inhale immediately. Then take a second, as you did in the process above, to switch your breathing over to mouth only by closing off that same passage. Then inhale. Again, you'll wonder why it ever gave you trouble.

The big problem people have with full mask clearing is that they try to inhale to fast after just using their nose to exhale. You naturally want to use your nose to breath and you are going to get water up it. Stop, switch, THEN breath. Problem gone! Go SCUBA!

I think it's important to understand why mask clearing and mask removal and replacement are important skills. If you dive long enough, your mask will get knocked off.
You don't get to choose how or howfast the water hits your face, it just does.

These types of tips are fine for getting a C Card, but this is a skill you will need one day if you keep diving, so it's worth spending some time and getting it right.

I'll be honest I had no problem with the no mask swim, and it took me a fair number of practice attempts after a got my C Card to be able to remove the mask and replace it in cold water while retaining any semblance of bouyancy control. You have to be able to remain calm when it happens.

I think it's important to understand why mask clearing and mask removal and replacement are important skills. If you dive long enough, your mask will get knocked off.
You don't get to choose how or howfast the water hits your face, it just does.

These types of tips are fine for getting a C Card, but this is a skill you will need one day if you keep diving, so it's worth spending some time and getting it right.

I'll be honest I had no problem with the no mask swim, and it took me a fair number of practice attempts after a got my C Card to be able to remove the mask and replace it in cold water while retaining any semblance of bouyancy control. You have to be able to remain calm when it happens.

Yes, Yes, and YES!!! We were feeding some fish in a quarry, and there were so many, one slammed into my mask and it flooded. People talk all the time about charters and inexperienced divers all crowding around a reef, but it can truely happen anywhere.

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a hard time clearing your mask but it's common for new divers to panic when the mask is removed. However, the purpose of the mask clearance isn't done for the fun of it.

Its for 2 things, foggy mask where you need a bit of water to clear it up n the other more serious issue is getting your mask knocked off. You need to find it again n replace your mask.

Under the 2nd situation, you won't have the luxury of letting water in through the top or bottom.

Just you wait till you get further in your dives n you'll experience training where your mask gets ripped off while your tank valves are shut off...

SangP

Hi, thought I would post this helpful hint following a bad experience with my OW dives. Let me begin with my bad learning experience, which led to a cure

4. I cannot stress this step enough...I went to a local pool just a few days before checkoffs, with my snorkel and mask. I swam first with my snorkle and no mask, letting the water cover my nose just up to my eyes, keeping eyes dry above the water, with snorkel in mouth, I walked or swam around until I was completely ok with my nose under the water, breathing slowly in and out of my mouth...then, I would put my mask on, snorkel in mouth, and holding onto the ladder in the deeper end, I would practice clearing my mask, starting with letting water in from the top 1/2 way, then clear, then fill it, clear, repeating until it felt fine, then I swam without snorkel or mask, to feel comfortable with the water on my whole face while swimming a short distance underwater, then I would fill mask slowly, gently remove it, then put it back on...after this pool time, about 1 1/2-2 hours...I had no trouble at all doing this, and on a recent dive in cozumel, I cleared my mask at 38 feet, just to clear my mask!!!!

<snip>

Just to follow up, this is one of the reasons I think all scuba divers should be comfortable, confident swimmers before they take scuba, and why allowing people to swim any stroke (including dog paddling, which isn't really a stroke) is inadequate preparation. If you know how to do freestyle properly, you're already comfortable with your face in the water while keeping water out of your nose and breathing out through it, and mask removal/replacement/maskless swim is a non-event. I think it was only after swimming for about 5 years (including lots of swimming underwater) that I got my first mask, so being without it was no more than what I was used to. It improved my vision but not my comfort (back then, with a rubber skirt it was considerably less comfortable than nothing).

So before you take that scuba class, please take swimming lessons first. It will make you far more confident, competent and efficient in the water, and scuba will be much easier.

Guy

I agree with Guy.

I can't imagine even wanting to learn to scuba dive if I wasn't proficient in the water. I'm sorry you had so much trouble having water on your face, but I think swimming lessons would be really helpful for your confidence. There will be a time when you lose your mask, regulator, snorkel, or fins, and you really should be comfortable enough in the water to be able to save yourself without relying on a mask.

During my tenth dive my mask popped off my head in 40 feet of 55 degree salt water in Puget Sound with low visibility, and I didn't have any idea where it was. Nor could I tell if anyone else saw where it went. I started swimming up and for a few seconds, I don't think anyone noticed my problem: until they saw me ascending. But I was fine swimming up by myself. I had to surface without my mask since I couldn't see anyone and didn't know how close they were ( a spare mask in a pocket would have been great! Or someone grabbing me... ) Eventually, on the surface, I got the mask back; one of the other divers found it. He handed it to me and said, laughing, "You don't see that every day!"

I have no idea why it popped off.

Last edited:
Congratulations on making good progress on a difficult skill. I have found that the snorkel/no mask exercise is very helpful. You should also try some pool work with a regulator and no mask. Starting a session with no mask, then descending, is often easier than being underwater and taking your mask off.

It's very easy to blame an instructor when you have a problem. Although your first instructor may not have been as nice as you would have liked, it sounds like she made an effort to help you. The mask removal issue is a very common source of anxiety for many OW students.

Good job.

You know, we spend so much money on regulators, BC, lights...yet it seems like very few people carry more than one mask. Maybe carrying a spare mask (frameless of course) should be taught in open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom