Mask Flooding Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the question about mask prep . . . and also that a smile shouldn't flood your mask. A wild, ear-to-ear grin or manic laughter, yes, but just a simple smile? If I couldn't smile without flooding my mask, I wouldn't go a dive without doing it.

Thanks for the replies! This is the ONLY mask that fits me (black Mares i3 Liquidskin) lol I evidently have a misshapen face! I tried out 10-12 masks at my LDS and this is the only one that wouldn't leak by my eyes. My fiance is a divemaster and she prepped my mask for me she did the toothpaste cleaning inside and out 4 times. Maybe 5 or 6 would do the trick! I'll give it another try tonight. And yea it's a great problem to have lol I just wanted to see if there was a well known fix that I just didn't know, but this is a problem I can learn to live with!

One additional thought- flooding PLUS fogging suggest possible nose breathing is occurring as you smile (or laugh). It is not a "scuba sin" to enjoy diving. Mask clearing skills are taught for a reason. I'll bet yours are excellent from so much practice. Happy ( and by that I mean smile a lot) diving!
DivemasterDennis

Make sure you don't have your mask too tight. Many new divers crank it down too tight which actually causes lots of leaking. It should really just set on your face with the strap, sealing with water pressure, not the strap. The strap is to avoid loss, not to make a seal.

I always had a fogging issue. Finally broke down and cleaned it - McNett "Sea Buff" is excellent product for this. I also got a defog called "500 psi" - the toothpaste style, not the liquid. I have not had a problem in 2 years now with a fogged mask. YMMV.

I have 5 masks and all flood when I smile as well. I just deal with it. I am always smiling. Not a small smile, but more of a maniacal I just turned off your air and punctured your BC laugh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom