Mask Flooding Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuiltLikeABulldog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the dumbest problem to ever been posted here... but I figured I'd ask for some help. When I'm diving a lot of times (read: Every damn time) I end up smiling and I don't even realize it. My mask floods, Defog goes away, foggy mask for the rest of the dive... I try to make a conscience effort to not to it, but the marine life won't allow it! I was going good yesterday until an arrow crab decided to get an attitude and BOOM flooded mask lol. I feel so stupid about this lol but does anybody have this problem? Any suggestions as to what I can do to rectify it besides try harder not to smile or laugh at the little guys on the reef??

Thorazine might help....but I don't recommend that.

Try getting some mask sealer. It comes in a small vial and you coat the skirt of your mask. Some also say petroleum jelly works too. My mask always would leak a bit due to my mustache and I found the mask sealer helps quite a bit for me. Does not help with the perma-grin aspect but why would you want to stop smiling?

Flooding a mask should not cause fogging. Clean the mask.

And remember, you suck! you are a new diver, your training is terrible, people are watching you dive and looking down on you, you will never be as good as the experts on the internets, you probably don't have a BP/W so not only are your skills deficient, but your gear is worthless too, do you really know how to work the dive tables or plan a dive to reserve enough air? Do you REALLY know what your computer will look like when it goes into deco? Can you REALLY navigate with a compass? I didn't think so...... Does that help? ...

to take the smile away..:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Toothpaste (the white variety and not gels) makes a cheap simple mildly abrasive cleaner. With a good cleaning your problem will go away, and you will not even need the defog. You will need to clean it within 24 hours of the dive since mask skirts tend to generate contaminates continuously.

Oh and that was not a stupid question! We've seen stupid here and that wasn't it.

I don’t have a solution; just wanted to say “what a wonderful problem to have”. You’re certainly diving for the right reason – enjoyment - and you’re obviously getting it. Huzzah !

Maybe you could try to find a new mask that fits while you’re smiling, then never stop smiling. :D

Yea, short of filling your laugh lines with morticians wax I too question your mask prep. Repeated flooding will remove defog and lead to fogging in cold water but BAM - Flood should not happen.

1) Clean your mask AND TEST it as described here.

2) Defog with a commercial product or baby shampoo or even spit if you desire but don't turn around and rinse it out before you start. If my mask is not still damp from a recent dive I will wet it a little and apply defog with J&J Baby Shampoo. This is one of the first things I do when setting up. By splash time it's a bonded haze. As soon as the mask hits the water the sheeting commences and it's a clear view.

Keep enjoying your dives!

Pete

I found that my first mask, which fit great in the store, leaked when I smiled. Since I happen to enjoy most of my dives, I ended up replacing that mask. When trying on replacements, I made sure to smile in the store to check that the seal would stay tight if I was enjoying the dive. The new mask lets me show that I'm enjoying myself.
Good luck!
-c

I found that my first mask, which fit great in the store, leaked when I smiled. Since I happen to enjoy most of my dives, I ended up replacing that mask. When trying on replacements, I made sure to smile in the store to check that the seal would stay tight if I was enjoying the dive. The new mask lets me show that I'm enjoying myself.
Good luck!
-c

That is actually good advice. When trying on a mask, you really should stick a reg in your mouth too, because it can change things. Also, men should shave before diving, that can make a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom