Mask for Photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCatgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, so I'm just an amature photographer, but still, I want to see more, lol. The problem is I'm having problems finding a mask that fits with my specifications. Of course I want the black skirt, I also want the largest field of view possible, so I've been trying out mask's with the teardrop lenses. I love the field of view, only problem is they hit the bridge of the nose. I thought it would be just the 2 lense mask's that were hitting the bridge of the nose but I just ordered a single lens one & it hits as well. I certainly don't need a mask uncomfortable at depth & since I'm ordering these masks over the internet I'm really racking up some shipping fees. Can someone help? Btw, I love the suction on the Tusa masks, but the Visulator which I ordered is one that hits my nose, but it sure does have a great field of view.

no dive shops nearby ? sounds like you really need to try on a few and find one that fits you well - thats not going to be so easy on-line.

i recently went for the atomic frameless (with black skirt)- i like it...before that i had a real cheap no-name brand and it served me well for about 7 years - loved it too (but eventually it broke)

I'd look into the Mares Liquidskin mask. They have a black/grey version that I saw in my LDS that has a black skirt, its got the teardrop shape, and its hands down the most comfortable mask I've ever worn. I also used to have problems with the bridge of my nose being hit, but with this mask it has been eliminated.

I was skeptical about spending a hundred bucks on a mask at first, but after trying it on it was well worth it. I'm going back to buy another one as a backup.

Hi ScubaCatgirl,

Many photographers around the world use our revolutionary Double-Dome mask.

You'll find many postings here on ScubaBoard with pro/con opinions.

All that said, if you are using an SLR in a housing with no viewfinder magnification, and you need absolutely minimal eye-relief, then a conventional mask is preferred. But if you're framing with an LCD screen, you'll love the view.

However if you're 20/20, you'll have to brace yourself for the "crazy" notion of wearing contact lenses to become temporarily nearsighted -- hundreds of 20/20 divers around the world are doing so.

I found the Oceanic Shadow to be a great mask... I've just begun using one after some time in a Mares X-Vision.

Ok, so I'm just an amature photographer, but still, I want to see more, lol. The problem is I'm having problems finding a mask that fits with my specifications. Of course I want the black skirt, I also want the largest field of view possible, so I've been trying out mask's with the teardrop lenses. I love the field of view, only problem is they hit the bridge of the nose. I thought it would be just the 2 lense mask's that were hitting the bridge of the nose but I just ordered a single lens one & it hits as well. I certainly don't need a mask uncomfortable at depth & since I'm ordering these masks over the internet I'm really racking up some shipping fees. Can someone help? Btw, I love the suction on the Tusa masks, but the Visulator which I ordered is one that hits my nose, but it sure does have a great field of view.

=======================================

Take a look at the Oceanic Shaddow/Mini Shaddow. I own several masks and finally landed on the Mini Shaddow. Frameless, black skirt and skirt material is really soft and comfortable.

I have had the same issues with low volume mask hitting the bridge of my nose. I have used the mares x-vision and though it worked well, but lost it on a dive. based on other reccomendations I replaced it with an Atomic subframe which is the best mask I've used to date.

I shoot a DSLR and find that it seals my smaller face well, has very low volume and it overall quite confortable.

Just my 2cents...
John

I've looked into the Mares LiquidSkin, unfortunately, I'm one of those lucky folks with a really small, thin face. The Liquid Skin just falls right off, lol. Gosh darn it, cuz I'd really like to get one of those. Anyone know when they may come out with a Mid version?

I'll check out the Oceanic Shadow & the Automic Subframe. I did try on the Automic framless & hit the glass with a thunk, :rofl3: oops, although I liked the looks of it & the clear glass feature, that glass hitting me in the face, just not a go.

Btw, I did try the Mare's Mid X Vision. It fit well, not perfect, but ok. It hit the brow bone a little bit. Hubby convinced me that if it hit at the surface, that it would really hurt at 90 feet, but with Visulator hitting so hard on the nose on the surface, I think worst case scenerio I can handle a little mask pinch on the brow from the Mare's mask.

Anywho, thanks for the advice guys & l'll look at the Oceanic & Automic mask you mentioned.

JonKranhouse....sorry, but hubby tried that & got such a bad mask pinch after one dive that he looked like a prize fighter....of course had he purged occasionally, he could have avoided the whole red eye effect, but.........:11:

I would also recommend the Oceanic Shadow, its really one of the more comfortable masks that I have used. Mares LiquidSkin MID should be out sometime within the next few months (Vague, I know), but if that doesn't fit well it isn't an option anyways. Have you tried the Scubapro Frameless?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom