Mask mount for back up light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Kruse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know where I could buy the rubber mounts that allow you to attach a back up light to your mask strap?
thanks Jeff

Which rubber mounts are you talking about? You can tie two pieces of bungee to get the same effect which is what I have on mine. A really small one in the back middle for the clip and a bigger one up by the ratchet mechanism to hold it in place. Works fine and is out of the way when you don't need it.

I acknowledge Edd loves it, but it’s really a suboptimal solution outside of a survey light. A pair of cylinder o-rings or a snorkel keeper and zip ties will get you close if that’s what you’re attempting.

I acknowledge Edd loves it, but it’s really a suboptimal solution outside of a survey light. A pair of cylinder o-rings or a snorkel keeper and zip ties will get you close if that’s what you’re attempting.
This is also true. I mentioned "when you don't need it" because I really only have mine turned on when I'm going to be doing a LOT of reel work or when surveying where I do it invaluable. When I'm in a cave in sidemount I leave one up there as a backup light since it's quick and easy to get to vs. my normal sidemount backup light placement but outside of sidemount/survey cave diving I don't ever have it up there. Too much backscatter to be useful in most diving conditions plus it blinds your buddy anytime you look at him.

No rubber/bungie for me. Although I do duct tape the world's tiniest AAA LED light onto my mask strap if I am planning on surveying a cave. My primary lights are way too bright and I can't see my own handwriting in the page from the reflected light otherwise. If you use a crayon sized pencil you can of course see it, my survey notes use a 0.5mm lead popit pencil though.

I keep one of the little Orca single AA lights on my mask, it is nice for reel work.

I saw a video with Edd and it looked like there is a flat mount that lays up against his hood, in between the strap. I would guess to hold it steady. I just thought it might be good instead of wearing a helmet all the time. I sent him a email but didn't hear anything back. Just thought you guys would have some info.
Jeff

Perhaps this would work for you. We sell a pair at a small discount. These lights have shown to be very robust and reliable for our customers.

I saw a video with Edd and it looked like there is a flat mount that lays up against his hood, in between the strap. I would guess to hold it steady. I just thought it might be good instead of wearing a helmet all the time. I sent him a email but didn't hear anything back. Just thought you guys would have some info.
Jeff
Post the specific video, if it's one I don't recognize I'll text him and put the link/pic up tomorrow for you. That said, I'm 99% sure he's still just using bungee loops on his mask for his backup light which he usually has on the left side of his head. If it's on the right then you're looking at the Paralenz mount.

Perhaps this would work for you. We sell a pair at a small discount. These lights have shown to be very robust and reliable for our customers.
This is the one I use, except I duct tape it to my mask strap. The supplied clip with too wiggly for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom