Mask pushes up against my nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LocalDiver

Reaction score
When I dive my mask tends to push up on my face and the silicone skirt ends up pushing up against the bottom of my nose which, after an hour dive, can end up being pretty sore.

I'm just curious if this is common or an indication that my mask is a bad fit. On the surface, it's just fine, only once I get underwater does it tend to want to rise, resulting in pressure on my nose.

Thanks,
Jeff

Couple things...

Make sure your mask is not too tight.....on the surface you should easily be able to pull the mask away from your face a good couple inches. Too tight is no good.

Also, make sure you exhale a little bit everyone now and then into your mask to prevent mask squeeze. This will push the mask off of your face a little and should feel comforting.

Make sure the mask is positioning below your nose, and the strap on the back of your head is towards the higher point of your head, not straight back.

Also, during the dive if you find it riding up on you...exhale out of your nose and at the same time repositioning your mask a little lower, all while exhaling. This should keep water out and let you easily adjust your mask.

Hope this helps.

Jason

The usual cause for a sore nose is the mask strap being too high on the back of your head, pulling the bottom of the mask up. If severe enough this can cause leaking from the top of the mask as well.

Make sure the mask strap is pulled well down.

Roak

I find sometimes if I'm clearing my mask a fair bit, air will end up in my hood causing the classic "cone head" look. This air bubble in also sometimes causes the hood and mask strap to move around a bit and results in exactly what you describe here. I find if I push down on the top of my hood to force the air bubble out the vent in the hood it relieves the problem.

Steve

Thank you for the advice. After reading the posts, I admit I do tend to where my mask strip somewhat high on the back of my head. I'll try moving it down next time and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

is the mouth piece on the regulator.

Try looking in the mirror with the regulator in your mouth. Is it pushing your lip up? Try a different style mouth piece see if that changes things.

Hallmac

two choices..... mask is too tight (more then likely the case) or your nose it too low. If it is the mask it is an easy fix if it is the nose just as easy but a little more painful LOL.

Pete

I had the same problem and once I loosened my mask, the problem disappeared. Also remember (as been said) to exhale out of your mouth. Remember that as you descend, the mask will squeeze onto your face, so it shouldn't be too tight at the surface.
:guitar:

PEIDiver once bubbled...
I find sometimes if I'm clearing my mask a fair bit, air will end up in my hood causing the classic "cone head" look. This air bubble in also sometimes causes the hood and mask strap to move around a bit and results in exactly what you describe here. I find if I push down on the top of my hood to force the air bubble out the vent in the hood it relieves the problem.

Steve

Hi Steve

This might also cause problems with your bouynacy control. =-) Try making a small hole in the hood. It is very eacy if you use a hot nail.

Hallmac once bubbled...
is the mouth piece on the regulator.

Try looking in the mirror with the regulator in your mouth. Is it pushing your lip up? Try a different style mouth piece see if that changes things.

Hallmac
If the mouthpiece is the cause, are you wearing a hood? I had to trim my hood (basically exposing my chin), because the hood would cause the reg to push up, which would cause the mask to push up, which in turn...

A lot of people have hoods that basically come up to under their bottom lip. Take a look at my profile photo and you can see how much I've cut away - works fine down to 50F.

Most hoods have trimmable material around the face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom