Mask skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whats funny about this skill test is that its something that you would RARELY encounter in real life diving, but theres a sliver of a chance it could happen. i often let water into my mask to do a quick rinse to clear out lingering fog, or some left over saliva. its done casually and almost without thought. whether you let in a 1/2 ounce or fill it up, the reaction is the same.

practice practice practice.
It's one of those skills that nobody likes but a very necessary skill.
I've overheard students saying to each other "Man, I hope I never have to do that again!"
They should have the attitude of "I need to get really good at that skill because if I lose a mask at 100 feet I don't want to freak".

I think the agencies should adopt a mask switch skill in their OW regardless if the student carries a spare mask or not later, I think it would be an excellent excercise, and not any harder than a full mask off drill. But at least it would give them a task to do while they are breathing with no mask on and help develop the skill under stress.

I had difficulty with this when I was starting. I actually bolted to the surface of the pool (yet somehow I timed it perfectly since everyone else was already at the surface because of a storm :p I never got caught!)

My suggestion is to not rush into the mask clearing but to acclimate to the setting first. THEN go into the mask clear. It's much easier if you are calm and collected.

I was really worried about that one also, since I have NEVER been able to go under water without plugging my nose. I always got water up it, no matter what. But our instructor told us to lean slightly forward an tilt your head just a tiny bit to the side. That way, the bubbles coming out of your reg don't push water up your nose, but go harmlessly up your cheek. Worked like a charm for me!

Well... I did it. I figured it out. Since I could no mask breathe fine I practiced putting my mask on a few times by going under with no mask in the shallow end of the pool. I then practiced flooding it completely a few times. I then started slowly taking it off, regaining my breathing, then putting it back on. After a lot of practice I figured it out. I don't know if this had anything to do with it but practicing this weekend I accidentally forgot my mask and borrowed one from my dad. I was using a low profile scubapro. This was a cressi big eye. For some reason it was much much easier for me. I was able to do my skills.no problem. Dads my instructor but he cuts no corners. He stuck to the shallow in the pool with me until I was confident and able to without choking. Next trip will be to the lake. I feel more at ease and confident in my diving now that I know I can do it. He even gave me his big eyes. Now to head to my optometrist Tuesday for some contacts because I can't read my dive computer. I wear glasses normally. Lol

Well... I did it. I figured it out. Since I could no mask breathe fine I practiced putting my mask on a few times by going under with no mask in the shallow end of the pool. I then practiced flooding it completely a few times. I then started slowly taking it off, regaining my breathing, then putting it back on. After a lot of practice I figured it out. I don't know if this had anything to do with it but practicing this weekend I accidentally forgot my mask and borrowed one from my dad. I was using a low profile scubapro. This was a cressi big eye. For some reason it was much much easier for me. I was able to do my skills.no problem. Dads my instructor but he cuts no corners. He stuck to the shallow in the pool with me until I was confident and able to without choking. Next trip will be to the lake. I feel more at ease and confident in my diving now that I know I can do it. He even gave me his big eyes. Now to head to my optometrist Tuesday for some contacts because I can't read my dive computer. I wear glasses normally. Lol
Congratulations!
I knew you could do it.

whats funny about this skill test is that its something that you would RARELY encounter in real life diving, but theres a sliver of a chance it could happen.

Actually it's not that uncommon. A strap breaks, someone kicks you with an errant fin, something gets caught in your mask, maybe you want to wipe some snot out of your nose, or my personal favorite, you forget to pull your hood on. My mask has been completely off on many occasions.

Congrads OP! Sometimes this isn't an easy skill to learn. I recall having some trouble clearing the mask with one breath. Practice and practice some more, it is a skill worth mastering and one you will use if you dive often and / or in low vis. Here in NE it's not unheard of for buddies to be so close but not seen that one kicks the mask off another. I have a spare mask in a mesh bag on my B/P just for this occasion if I can't find my mask.

Some divers here wear their hood over their mask strap so they don't lose their mask, it would just get flooded, it's also a good way not to get the mask seal over the hood. Safe diving at the lake and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom