Mask/Snorkel Clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.D.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm sure this has been posted many a time, but I'll post it again. I'm quite new to diving, I've only had two lessons so far. Although I've discussed this with my instructor, it never hurts to have more advice. I've been having problems with the whole mask/snorkel clearing process. I can usually get my mask cleared, but I have problems when I surface and have to clear my snorkel. I feel as if I don't have enough air to clear it fully and I get sort of freaked out. My instructor ensures me it is basically nerves/psychological. It is doubled when we drill on clearing the mask, putting on the fins, and then ascending to the surface to clear the snorkel, while wearing a weight belt. I've only been able to successfully complete that drill a handful of times. It can get frustrating and quite discouraging when I can't get it. I guess the trick is to take it a step at a time and become more confident with each skill. Any more advice??

M.D.:
I'm sure this has been posted many a time, but I'll post it again. I'm quite new to diving, I've only had two lessons so far. Although I've discussed this with my instructor, it never hurts to have more advice. I've been having problems with the whole mask/snorkel clearing process. I can usually get my mask cleared, but I have problems when I surface and have to clear my snorkel. I feel as if I don't have enough air to clear it fully and I get sort of freaked out. My instructor ensures me it is basically nerves/psychological. It is doubled when we drill on clearing the mask, putting on the fins, and then ascending to the surface to clear the snorkel, while wearing a weight belt. I've only been able to successfully complete that drill a handful of times. It can get frustrating and quite discouraging when I can't get it. I guess the trick is to take it a step at a time and become more confident with each skill. Any more advice??

M.D.,

Are you saying you are doing this drill on a breath hold? An when you surface you are afraid you don't have enough air to clear it?

Snorkel clearing can be troublesome for beginners. With that said, all you have to do is exhale through the snorkel as you approach the surface....then a quick burst of air or two once you are on the surface to clear any remaining water from the tube, if necessary.

Definately take things one step at a time. The mask clearing and underwater donning and doffing are definately important skills to master. Take your time, and practice, practice, practice....

good luck!

M.D.:

To help with the actual clearing try facing so you snorkel is closer to horizontal as opposed to vertical as you surface and clear it. That way you don't have to lift the water as much.

This is another time when I'll say go skin diving between classes if you're not experinced doing sot you can build up a world of basic skills and enjoy the water before you're certified. You can do mask clears (though it's easier on a regulator), mask off swims and build you confidence in your basic gear. You will get accustomed to your fins and tone your legs so you will be much less likely to cramp on your first dives. All in all it's stuff you need to be proficient in and it will improve your diving skills.

If I think about what you are doing in this drill (one I'm glad I didn't get) you must exhale to vent excess pressure as you surface while and maintaining enough volume to clear the snorkel. If the drill allows try to get a few deep breaths before you start. The deep breaths will purge some carbon dioxide from your lungs and that is the trigger for the need to breath and perhaps some of your anxiety. Second make that last breath deep, you need to let the pressure escape but if you start with full lung voluime you will have more to work with when you surface.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom