Mask Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but I was wondering what the DIR standing is on this.

Mask strap over hood or under hood? Why?

this is not a DIR answer, but when I tried mask under the hood once - it did not work for me or my buddy Izzy for the reason that it would open up the hood on the sides (where the strap goes in) and flush the water in and out... the result is that we aborted the dive half way due to getting really cold. it's was like not wearing the right hood. Basically, it prevents your hood to seal properly against your face.

Also, my other guess is that anything could happen to a mask (broken strap, broken frame, shattered glass), at which point you would need to replace it with a backup mask right away, and having the strap tucked under the hood will only make it more difficult.

BTW, it is recommended to replace the rubber strap with Neoprene Strap , such as this FifthD sells, for example.

Yeah I've heard that before, also heard it can cause the mask to leak. I'm guessing you second example is probably the DIR standing on this.

Why didnt you just take off the hood and mask and put it on right? Instead of aborting the dive? Not a flame---Just seems silly to me, you must have been really cold if you did not think of that at the begining when you felt the cold water going in and out!

JPBECK:
Why didnt you just take off the hood and mask and put it on right? Instead of aborting the dive? Not a flame---Just seems silly to me, you must have been really cold if you did not think of that at the begining when you felt the cold water going in and out!

being very cold impairs your judgment... :wink:

The DIR way is to have the mask on top of the hood. This makes it easier for your instructor to steal your mask. :D
It also makes it easier to switch to you backup, etc..

The trick to putting the mask under the hood is to have the proper hood fit for that setup. It is NOT the same. The hood in this case is better if it comes more forward and covers a fair amount of the mask skirt. This stops the water flowing in and out but makes mask changes much harder.

For most sport divers the DIR way is probably the better choice.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom