Masks and glasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been diving once in Hawaii with my dad. I am planning on getting my own diving licence and I was wondering if it is possible to wear glass while wearing a mask. or are they special masks for glasses? I used to wear contacts but they started bugging my eyes so I stopped. thanks in advance.:D

Dun't think there is a mask that you can wear with glasses.
But you can get perscription glasses for most masks.

Hope it helps.:)

darn.. how much would prescription glasses cost? I would expect them to be a bit costly.. shucks..

I saw a mask in a shop that looked like this:

31Ls3%2BxugxL._AA280_.jpg

that could fit glasses inside. The shop owner demonstrated with his glasses, you take off the arms and the glasses slot into the sides. I don't wear glasses so no idea if it is comfortable or not but there is at least one mask that will take glasses! :)

A prescription mask will cost less than a typical pair of eye glasses. Generally the frame (mask) will be around $60 give or take and the script overlays will vary with your prescription. More here and here.

Look online at any of the mask manufactures directly and see what they have. I am sure your local LDS or online shops such as scubatoays.com can hook you up. Were contacts that bad? Go what works for you, but contacts have worked well for me.

AZ

It depends on your prescription. My prescription mask was close to $300. However, I have to say that it is my single most important piece of equipment. Do not try to skimp here. You will need it to see gauges and detail.

If you are nearsighted, you may be able to use a mask with pre-made prescription lenses. I gave up my contacts a few years ago and now dive with one of these.

They cost less than $150. Your local dive store should be able to help you. Also, here a few online places:
DiveRiteExpress.com
ScubaToys.com (already posted above, but misspelled)

Sorry I can't post full URLs since I don't have enough posts on Scubaboard.

I used prescription dive masks too and have been very happy. I can now see my wrist computer again!!! The cost of the prescription mask was covered by my HSA (Healthcare spending account) similar to my reading glasses etc. True you are still paying for them, but at least it is pretax dollars. Cost for 2 masks with bifocals. (gasp, me, really) ... was about $420. (I provided the masks)

There are adhesive bifocal inserts that you can apply to your current mask - I don't know how that would work as I believe the position of those would be critical.

You can get "gage reader" masks that have different magnification lenses inserted like bifocals, but the folks that run the local dive shop have reported that these inserts are prone to popping off -

There are also some bifocals that are actually ground into the mask lens. I would think that would be a bit more pricey.

Then there are full prescription ground masks available with every enhancement available as there are for reg eyeglasses (e.g. anti-glare coatings, scratch layers, etc...)

in short, you have options....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom