Massive mako shark caught off Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Then don't be so quick to jump on Paul, since you are wrong in this case.

Ok.. can you supply me with the link then? I can't respond to concerns about particular areas of the board if I can't see it.

So SB is in the business of posting advertisements for shark parts? Google and SB are too different stories when it comes to advertising that exploits what we supposedly try to protect.

Try again. Google has nothing to do with SB and vice versa.

However, I am trying to find these links you are talking about; so far I haven't found them using the Portal theme either....

Now if we can get back to the thread, that would be great.

hermosadive:
I grew up in Nova Scotia just an hour or so from Yarmouth. My family is mostly commercial fishermen. I can't recall ever seeing shark on the menu in any local resturant on the South Shore. I'm sure there may be a couple establishements that would offer shark, but it is not a popular menu item. I guess we can only assume that most of the shark was used for fertilizer then. I'm sure we have enough fertilizer to go around without using shark.
The buzzword here is "menu item". Remember, in North America we don't have much in the way of commercial shark fisheries. Take is primarily limited to infrequent events like this one, and recreational fishers.

Critters like this therefore don't go on menus, as they're irregular fare. Popularity doesn't factor into it.

The best way to get shark (other than catching it yourself) is to luck into a restaurant offering it as "catch of the day". Oh yeah and seafood festivals.

scottfiji:
By that rational, its ok to kill the last gorilla on earth because you are hungry for a gorilla burger, instead of grabbing an apple. You have a gift, intelligence, which means you can choose what must die. Try to use it, to override the hormones in your brain that tell you to kill whatever you can. That urge might have been important for us to evolve up to this point, but you don't need it any more.

Scott
You've got me thinking....I wonder what gorilla-burgers taste like?

boulderjohn:
If you read Moby Dick, you will find a section in which Melville rationalizes the killing of whales and explains in the science of his day how the efforts of whalers could never threaten the existence of whales.

He was wrong.

If you look at the history of both Europe and America, you will see a history of a wholesale slaughter of wolves, based upon ancient mythology of their supposed ferocity and danger to humans. Although we still have a long way to go, and though the dangerous wolf mythology still persists, we are much more tolerant of wolves, and they are making a comeback.

Where I live in Colorado, we also have a thriving population of mountain lions, something that was not true not long ago. I assure you that if there were an attempt to eradicate the mountain lions, even if they were dissected for scientific purposes, there would be a huge uproar.

The mythology of sharks is extremely strong. Movies like Jaws sadly misinform the public. We get a few news bulletins about some bull shark attacks, and the notion is reinforced. The general public thinks that sharks are dangerous and ferocious predators who routinely attack humans. The general public thinks "Good riddance" when they hear of a shark being killed. The opinion of sharks has only recently begun to change. The earlier references to Cousteau can be explained in part to his living in an even more shark-unfriendly time.

In time, the cycle will move on as it has with whales, wolves, and mountain lions.

In time.

But that is not inevitable. Time would have saved the Dodo bird, too, but there was not enough of it.

I think we have to hasten the cycle. We need to have more TV shows with the same kind of viewpoint that whales enjoy now.

And, yes, I think there needs to be some more outcry on shark derbies, the kind we would have here if people suddenly went after the mountain lions.

My God, you people live such sheltered lives! It was almost unheard of for a Cat to attack a human in Cali untill the BS ban on hunting them went into effect to "protect" a thriving species. Shortly there after, 1987 I think, a woman was killed and eaten in ElDorado county. It have become common place for sightings and attacks now. Why? Becouse hunters are no longer chasing them with dogs. This put the fear of man into them and they stayed in the forests. Why did they learn? Becouse 90% were treed and shot with a camera only...........As far as wolves, ever had your pet or child attacked my wolves? Wolves up, Moose down = attacks on domestic dogs and children. Save the wolves! Save the Cats! Nothing to do with sharks but you just can't know about these things from watching PBS. Join the real world.

MY my my. You all do get riled up easily, don't you? You know, I posted my e-mail address so those with legitimate questions and concerns could write me personally. Not to say that all your opinions are illegitimate, but they are fairly irrational. Archman seems to be one of the few who have posted here to really understand the situation and to think about what he wrote before responding with pure emotion.
On a basic level I agree with all of you who say that killing is wrong and should be stopped at all costs. However we all know that this isn't possible.
The shark in question was a fully mature female who had produced probably 5-6 pups in the course of her 25 years. No, there was nothing in her stomach because she had recently digested a very lage meal, the indistinguishable remains of which we found in her intestine. Please stop saying she was dragged behind a boat and drowned, because that practice is not allowed in this derby. She was pulled aboard the boat, not dragged behnd it for any length of time. If you could have seen how small the boat was, you would understand why pulling her would be impossible. No, shark is not a regular "menu item" in Nova Scotia, but yes- these sharks WERE sold and eaten, as a traditional part of the tourney. You also seem to have overlooked a major part of my previous post- it is illegal to catch and kill sharks with the exception of the 3 annual derbies in Nova Scotian waters. The rules of this tournament clearly stated size limits (over 6 feet) and numbers of animals that were allowed to be caught.This derby would go ahead with or without the participation of scientists and researchers such as myself and my team, so please don't condem us as ruthless, murdering fiends. We merely saw the opportunity to take an existing, rather unfortunate event and turn it into something beneficial.
All I'm trying to get across here is that we can't possibly hope to preseve an animal that we know nothing about. I understand completely those of you who can not see the benefits of our work because before this summer, I was the same way. I, too, posted indignant replies on forums about shark killing. But I can't maintain that stubborn view now- as ethically righteous as it may seem to all of you- because I was there, I saw and smelled and felt these animals, I heard the crowd of spectators and spoke to them about how much sharks can teach us. I truly believe that I changed many people's minds about sharks, children and adults alike.
So until you've been there, please don't judge me so harshly. Thanks.

Good post, thanks.

Becky, how'd the shark get dispatched? I'd be scared to death to leave something like that on my boat deck. Bite my foot off I if got close enough.

25 year old female, huh. How'd they infer she had 5-6 pups, is that an average or something? Dang, I would've thought a specimen that big would have had more babies.

I'm not sure I understand the derby rules. 6 feet is a minimum size? What happens to the smaller animals? How many sharks are allowed to be caught? Is it purely a shark fishing tournament?

Yes, 6-feet is the minimum size. Anything smaller is released unharmed. They were only allowed to catch two shaks per person, with a maximum of five sharks per boat. However, no boat ever brought in more than three sharks. And it is a purely shark tourney.

She was just left on the deck of the boat to die, although I agree that is a rather dangerous option! And the estimate of 5-6 pups was based on how stetched her uterus was, as well as general knowledge about mako reproductice cycles. They produce about one pup every two years, as far as we know, starting from around 16 years old.

Wildcard- I really appreciated your comment- to express my feeling and thoughts on this without having my head bitten off for once is a very nice yet rare ocurrence.

It's so nice to see someone that knows what they are talking about stop the media hype cold in it's tracks with solid cold facts.

BTW. what were they using for bait? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom