Master Liveabord Fuel surcharge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KTDB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In January I booked a 5 night liveaboard, when I paid my 2nd payment i noticed the new confirmation stated that I would be charged a further $20 per night due to the cost of fuel. I checked T&C’s are they do reserve the right to do this if supplier costs go up. So I took it on the chin, until……

I noticed new bookings were about $450 dollars less than I paid (checking the price today and that’s still the case)

I raised the issue as I feel it’s unfair to ask more from me stating costs have risen yet the new booking price has fallen considerably. It’s clear that there Is enough profit in my booking to cover the additional charge and the costs going up haven’t impacted the supplier for my booking or they wouldn’t be offering it at so much less now. Even after those who booked from March to May have paid their $20 per night their bookings will have cost $350 per person less than mine. it feels wrong my booking price should increase by $100 per person due to costs incurred by the company when they are selling the trip at significantly less.

The response was that they will review closer to the time and if the crisis has ended they won’t charge. Which isn’t really the point.

My buddy went to citizens advice who advised that we may be able to report to trading standards as the company could be taking advantage out of a crisis.

im not sure what to do, it certainly doesn’t seem fair. part of me thinks it’s $200 total just pay, but it doesn’t sit right I’m being treated like that

That isn't fair at all, in fact, it is a very low class thing to do to you. I'd complain very loudly and file complaints with the appropriate authorities. Do NOT wait until the last minute, they will have your hand behind your back and you won't be able to cancel or arrange for a different company. Do it now.

Even airlines do not ask fuel surcharge in advance. This is SUCK.
As for the discrepancy on the cost of the trip. The operator could be looking for quick sale of the remaining slot.
After buying something from the shop and then found out the price has dropped few days later.

TBH, airlines fuel surcharge is bollocks. Unless flight is 5 years from now, fuel price is already determined via futures and that should be calculated in ticket price. I have never heard of airlines giving some money back when fuel prices drop.
OP, I do agree with others saying that you should raise hell for this.

TBH, airlines fuel surcharge is bollocks. Unless flight is 5 years from now, fuel price is already determined via futures and that should be calculated in ticket price. I have never heard of airlines giving some money back when fuel prices drop.
OP, I do agree with others saying that you should raise hell for this.

Future is very uncertain for fossil fuel.

Future is very uncertain for fossil fuel.
Agree, but if airlines want to keep money flow by selling tickets in advance and they take my money at the time of purchase-that's it. I bought a ticket, I paid for it. Fuel went down- they take the profit. Fuel goes up- they should take the loss.

Agree, but if airlines want to keep money flow by selling tickets in advance and they take my money at the time of purchase-that's it. I bought a ticket, I paid for it. Fuel went down- they take the profit. Fuel goes up- they should take the loss.
They took your money but never ever suggested that there may be additional surcharge in the future.

I do not think there is an easy solution eg. who could have foreseen the invasion of Ukraine few months ago.

But the OP may be required to pay surcharge even after full payment! This is certainly not acceptable.

Having experience running a liveaboard, fuel is a minor expense, and one that should easily be accounted for in the trip fee, which changes annually.

Remember, if fuel was planned for at $4 a gallon and goes to $5 a gallon, and the boat burns 1000 gallons on a trip with revenue of $40-50,000, that is a drop in the bucket.

They add the fuel surcharge because they can, not because they need to.

Pay it, and then take it out of whatever tip you might have given, which is probably more than $200. Two can play the game.

Thanks for the responses.

Its not especially the fuel charge that’s annoying, in fairness that was in the T&C, nor the fact the holiday went down in price, that’s just one of those annoying things.

It’s more that they are saying I need to pay more for a fuel as they have been impacted by the fuel crisis (as we all have), but it makes no sense when the holiday is being sold at a considerable discount, therefore it’s safe to assume that it’s viable at that price plus $20 per night. it’s a bit one way, I don’t get a refund due to the base cost being reduced but I pm expected to pay more for the new surcharge.

I asked why the cost was less & why they are able to sell for less as their T&C in relation to this also state
“Should the price of your holiday go down due to the changes mentioned above, then any refund due will be paid to you less an administrative fee of $15.” I didn’t get an answer to that question either

for info the majority of the boat hasn’t been sold so it’s not that their trying to fill the
last couple of places.

good point about airlines, my airlines haven’t come and asked for more.

it’s back to you find out how good a company you deal with or work for when the s*** hits the fan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom