Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In answer to your question, yes I knew (either off the top of my head or pulling it of the lower regions) that Freud had coined that phrase and the name of the article, I read it my sophomore year at university. That permitted me to look up the year it was published which I could not remember.

I had the advantage of both a good liberal arts education and a first class science education and I had, at least in my younger days, almost total recall, it made cramming for finals really easy. Today, I can still remember facts and concepts, but I can no longer always remember exactly what publication I read something in, what page it was on and where on the page it could be found.

I fear that my memory has been both a blessing and a curse. I was banned from playing Trivial Pursuit when that was a popular game (or I had to only take pop culture questions a category I know almost nothing about since I did not have a TV until I was in my 20s) and they turned me down for two quiz shows.

As far as "smart" is concerned, I don't think of myself as "smart," I just consider myself very well informed. Trust me, it's not all that you might think, there's an awful lot of stuff that I'd pay good money to forget, in fact I am working right now with an Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapist on just some of those issues.

As far as "smart" is concerned, I don't think of myself as "smart," I just consider myself very well informed. Trust me, it's not all that you might think, there's an awful lot of stuff that I'd pay good money to forget, in fact I am working right now with an Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapist on just some of those issues.

OH, I'd have to say you are very smart, Thal - Probably the smartest person on SB. In fact, I would venture to say that's one of the things we agree on.:D

Not to pry, but isn't EMDR primarily a therapy for PTSD?

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, that's fine, if you are interested pry away ... that's how we both learn. EMDR has been show to defrag parts of your brain's memory, breaking loose isolated memory blocks, especially of short term memory and reallocating them into properly processed long term memory (over simplified, I know, and computer similes are not always the best). If you go down the chain from the top you have memory issues, of which one is PTSD and "Battle Fatigue" (which is the form of PTSD getting all the press today) is a smaller sub-component of PTSD. I have an aberrant memory, I have great recall, but I also have things "stick" so that I can't stop chewing on them and when that occurs I have minor recall problems, especially with vocabulary and people's names, I will have a word or name on the tip of my tongue but can't access it without more strain than usual. Oddly enough it is often the same words ("cynical" happens to be one) and the same names, leading me to have serveral "you-know-who" or "whose-a-whats-it" acquaintances (it is interesting that it does not happen with either people I know well or whom I have just met). My concern over these issues has lead me to look into them and to explore various treatment modalities. I got some good results from rather mainstream Cognitive Therapy (not the more fringe) approaches. A psychiatrist, whom I've known socially for many years, suggested during a conversation that I should look into EMDR.

As far as being, "he smartest person on SB" I rather doubt that, I'm not as smart as I once once, despite the fact that I know a whole lot more than I did. Back at university I tested in the low 160s, recently all I could muster was in the high 140s.

Last edited:
I haven't read every post in this thread, but my thought is you can be a Master in just about anything you want, if you lay down your Master-Card. :wink:

No, that's fine, if you are interested pry away ... that's how we both learn. EMDR has been show to defrag parts of your brain's memory, breaking loose isolated memory blocks, especially of short term memory and reallocating them into properly processed long term memory (over simplified, I know, and computer similes are not always the best). If you go down the chain from the top you have memory issues, of which one is PTSD and "Battle Fatigue" (which is the form of PTSD getting all the press today) is a smaller sub-component of PTSD. I have an aberrant memory, I have great recall, but I also have things "stick" so that I can't stop chewing on them and when that occurs I have minor recall problems, especially with vocabulary and people's names, I will have a word or name on the tip of my tongue but can't access it without more strain than usual. Oddly enough it is often the same words ("cynical" happens to be one) and the same names, leading me to have serveral "you-know-who" or "whose-a-whats-it" acquaintances (it is interesting that it does not happen with either people I know well or whom I have just met). My concern over these issues has lead me to look into them and to explore various treatment modalities. I got some good results from rather mainstream Cognitive Therapy (not the more fringe) approaches. A psychiatrist, whom I've known socially for many years, suggested during a conversation that I should look into EMDR.

As far as being, "he smartest person on SB" I rather doubt that, I'm not as smart as I once once, despite the fact that I know a whole lot more than I did. Back at university I tested in the low 160s, recently all I could muster was in the high 140s.

Same with me. There are three words I can never remember. I would tell you what they are, but I can never remember them. I call it "CRS", aka "Oldtimers Syndrome". I figured it was just tee many martoonis for too many years. Funnily enough, I don't have any problems when I am writing, just when I am speaking.

Hope the EMDR works for you - memory problems are annoying.

I haven't read every post in this thread, but my thought is you can be a Master in just about anything you want, if you lay down your Master-Card. :wink:

That's a key issue.

It occurs to me that an agency might want to come out with the Post-Mortem Divemaster card. You can imagine the marketing might be:

"It's never too late to be a Divemaster."

"Do you have a friend or loved one who dreamed of becoming a Divemaster? Keep the Dream alive, get a _____ In Memoriam Divemaster Card."

Heck, it might even count as a certification for the issuing Instructor.

Obviously, I'm joking. But as we watch standards to continually get watered down, the industry puts itself on a slippery slope.

That's a key issue.

It occurs to me that an agency might want to come out with the Post-Mortem Divemaster card. You can imagine the marketing might be:

"It's never too late to be a Divemaster."

Unless my arm heals soon and my Instructor finally gets me some pool time to polish off my skills, that would be me. Getting freakin' old.

Back
Top Bottom