Maui and Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excited for you and your upcoming trip. If I can help you with any information or arrangements I'd love to do so. January is a great time for diving in Hawaii on any of the islands. Maui has AWESOME dives both off of the boat and shore. Your determinations may come from where you are staying. I agree with the suggestion for Ed Robinson's operation as an operator. My personal favorite is Mike Severns though you really can't go wrong with either. They are located south Maui and very close to the great diving at Molokini. In my opinion the shore dive at Makena Landing (also south) can often rival any boat diving as well when the conditions are right. The critters there (sharks, turtles, octopus, nudibranchs, etc... are amazing. Should you go with Mike Severns I would highly suggest setting up a dive with Pauline. She is simply amazing and one of the most respected, knowledgable and passionate divemasters in the Hawaiian islands. It's simply a CANT GO WRONG. To be fair ALL of her staff is incredible as well and I look up to them for their professionalism and overall operations. If you end up near to Lahaina I've had good experiences up there with Extended Horizons out of Mala Wharf. Mala Wharf is an incredible dive as well if you are interested in a CRAZY loaded critter dive. I "think" it can still be done from shore.

Kauai is entirely different underwater and you'll be lucky to see the variations in reef ecology in such a short distance between islands. All the diving will be done off the south shore at this time of year if that factors in to where you stay. There are several different operators that all run very good operations. The shore dive at Koloa Landing is amazing and a must do in my opinion. I've been diving here for over 12 years and I still dive the site on my days off. Currently there are Harlequin Shrimp, 4 adult and one baby frogfish, endemic lion fish, leaf and devil scorpions, freckled snake eels, turtles (of course) and many more great critters. It's a shallow dive maxing out at 45 ft which assures long bottom times. It's entrance is also fairly user friendly. It can be subject to lower vis at times but when it's fair to great - it's awesome. The whales are also coming back home this time of year so you can expect fantastic surface intervals watching these amazing Humpback Whales! It's also great to listen to vocalizations and song while you are underwater. Two of my personal favorites as dives from the boat are Sheraton Caverns (turtles/lava tube dive) and Turtle Bluffs (Whitetip reef sharks, moray eels, octopus, lobsters, nudibranchs and more).

I personally work for Fathom Five divers in Koloa/Poipu but think you'd find great passion and professionalism from any of the operators here.

Let me know if I can provide answers to any specific questions as you plans come together. I'm also very happy to but you in touch with any other company that may catch your eye and at least offer a suggestion on a divemaster to request.

Happy Holidays and best of wishes as you get ready for an awesome dive trip.

A
Aquaman - Can you shed a little light on shore diving v. Boat diving on Kauai? I'll be down there with my family in mid August and will want to dive, but the rest of my family doesn't dive so I will probably only get to dive a few times while I'm there and want to get the biggest bang possible. Also - would you recommend bringing personal gear with or would renting make more sense if only diving 2-3 days? - Thanks for your advice!

For Maui, who you go with may depend on where you are staying (or how far you wish to drive/how early you want to get up in the morning). I dove once with Lahaina Divers out of Lahaina. A good op that I would dive again. I dove with Ed Robinson mostly as I was staying in Kihei. Another good op, except one of the DM's dug an octopus out of a hole. I don't like sea life being harassed, so for that reason, next time I'm there, I'll be going with a different operation. Mike Severns comes highly recommended, so I will try them next. I did go once with Maui Dive Scooters (dot com). That was fun. They provided Apollo AV-2 (the ones you ride, leaving your arms hands free). A real plus if you have a camera in your hand. Greg's a great guy.

I would highly recommend doing some shore diving at night on Maui. I only did it twice, but it was a lot of fun.

Oh, and I'd recommend doing Mala Wharf from shore. I think doing it from a boat is a bit of a waste of money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom