Maui dive suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

55rag

Reaction score
Hello,
I have booked a trip to Maui in October and would like to get in as much diving as possible. I will be traveling with my wife who doesn't dive so I will be limited to three days of diving at best. I would like to get advice from the experts on what sights can't be missed and what dive operators have good reps.

I would love to see some rays, whale sharks, reef sharks if that helps with deciding on dive sites. I was thinking of one day at Lanai, one day at Molokini and have no idea on the third day. I will most likely be staying in South Kihei pretty close to the boat ramp.

Also, will a 5mil full suit be overkill in Oct?

Thanks for you help,
Jason

I just got back from Maui this morning. I went to Molokini with Ed Robinson Dive Company, and he runs a great operation! I tried Mike Severns, but they stay pretty booked up...you can try them, and you can call them every evening to see if they have cancellations. Ed Robinson...no problem brah!

Molokini, definitely!

I dived in a 2 mm shortie with no problem at all. Then again, I'm from California, where the water temps are consistently 55-60º F...temps in Maui are between 75 and 80º F right now. Most people are diving in full wetsuits, but I think only 2 or 3 mil, no hood nor gloves.

I did a lot of snorkeling, too...didn't even wear my wetsuit...just shorts. Again, no problems. Got some great photos of sea turtles, surgeon fish, etc. without going deep...better light, actually, but there are quite a few amateurs stirring up the bottom, and the surf/surge can be a problem.

Have fun and hang loose,
Doug

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm from California also so I have a choice of bring a full 9/6/5 suit with built in hood or my summer suit which is 5mil. I just bought the 5mil for a resent trip to Cabo. I guess I'll take it and I can always leave it unzipped if I get hot.

I know alot of the dive boats leave from Lihei boat ramp but do they have shops there were I can sign up for a trip.

Thanks again,
Jason

Molikini is a must do. The back wall in particular. I dive with Ed Robinsons every year and they do a great job. There is some very good shore diving as well. Just drop by a Maui Dive Shop and pick up a free map. That is really the only reason I go to the Maui Dive shop. I rent tanks and weights from Maui Dreams, they are a first class little shop in Kehei.

B&B is a great op for me. 2 boat dives and back by 10:00. It's a short ride to to Molokini from their launch in Kihei.

a 5mil will work fine - lots of locals wear 5mils. Most visitors are happy in a 3mil shorty, but if you get hot, let a little water in to cool off.

I'd second B&B - drop by their shop in Kihei (azeka II shopping plaza - south kihei rd.) http://www.bbscuba.com

You can make reservations over the phone or at the shop.

Aloha, Tim

Wildcard and I did the Maui Ocean Center shark tank and we loved it. Probably your best opportunity to get good up close photos of sharks. They even had a tiger shark in the tank when we dove it last fall. But definitely do the back wall of Molokini.

Thanks for all the great information. I was looking at B&B because it seems like they leave earlier than the rest of the boats. Are they good for longer dives? I've hate it when the divemaster ends the dive and I still have over 1000 psi in the tank.

Also, B&B doesn't go to Lanai. Does anyone have a recomendation for a dive shop that will go to Lanai from Kehei?

Katekicks, Do you have a link for Maui Ocean Centers? That sounds like it would be fun.

Thanks again for your help,
Jason

55rag:
Thanks for all the great information. I was looking at B&B because it seems like they leave earlier than the rest of the boats. Are they good for longer dives? I've hate it when the divemaster ends the dive and I still have over 1000 psi in the tank.
..........Thanks again for your help,
Jason
Jason,
B&B has always tried to ensure long bottom times on every dive I've done with them. Only problem is IF you get saturated on your first dive (like at Molokini), you can plan on a short 2nd dive as the surface interval is pretty short. None of the Maui ops do a long SI - almost always 40 min or so. This is less of an issue for a 40 ft. 2nd dive at Turtle Town or Red Hill - but a big issue in 60-70 ft @ the St. Anthony or 80 ft reef. The only solution to this is NITROX. Anyway, unless your SAC rate is really good, you'll run low on air before they terminate the dive anyway. My last time out with them, I did 50 mins or so @ 90fsw max on 32% at Molokini and another 50 mins or so @ 70 fsw on 36% at St Anthony. Can't complain about that.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom