Maui - diving with snorkelers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erichbaum

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are going to Maui in the next 3.5 weeks with a group of 12 people, with only my son and I that dive. Is anyone aware of a dive shop that takes both divers and snorkelers? What would be a good spot to go to for this? Thanks

Some options I know of, there are certainly others.

In South Maui - Maui Diamond II out of Ma'alea should be able to accommodate all of you. Maui Diamond Sea Sports - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling at Molokini Crater, Turtle Town - Maui

They'll go to Molokini Crater - likely the best place to do both. Some of the other operators might offer snorkeling on a space available basis but 10 seems unlikely since many of the boats are 12-16 divers total. They all launch from the Kihei ramp so tend to be smaller in size.

Do you both shore dive? Most of the South Maui beaches are good for both. Personally I like Wailea but I've heard from friends with a place there that Polo is better for both. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands lists other options also.

If you're not comfortable diving alone from shore, rent a guide. They're not going to care about the others as long as they don't have to help them also. Maui Dreams Dive Co or Shaka Divers in South Maui are options - Tiny Bubbles in West Maui.

In West Maui the Sheraton Black Rock is a shallow dive with snorkeling - in fact they'll be 20-30' above you the whole time. Maybe try Old Airport Beach (Kahekili) also - the reef starts pretty near the beach there. To the far north, one of the nicest snorkel beaches is Kapalua, you can also dive there but it won't exceed about 40'. Get tanks/gear at the Maui Dive Shop in Kahana - you won't find anything in Kapalua since Kapalua Divers closed.

For combination boat dives it's likely Lahaina Divers in that area. They offer a snorkel trip every single day plus diving at either Lana'i or Molokini also - since they only have two boats they're obviously doing both on one of them every morning or afternoon. They do discover dives in the afternoons so those sites are probably 40' or less. They'd have the capacity for your group also if anyone does - two 45' Newton dive boats with large upper decks also. Scuba Dive Lanai, Molokini, Molokai, and Maui | Lahaina Divers

There's also the snorkel catamarans. Some offer diving but it's more expensive. They're generally out of Ma'alea also - Pride of Maui is one option, I believe the Trilogy sailing cats also offer diving still. That's more fun as well if no one suffers from seasickness. Sail Trilogy

Another factor in your plans is it's almost an hour drive between Ka'anapali and Kihei in morning traffic so factor that in for those 6-7am departures.

Last edited:
You might consider contacting one of the dive operators and ask about chartering the entire boat. One thing going against you for doing that, however, is that you're looking at the middle of spring break season and you might have trouble finding an empty boat to book, but it might be worth checking out

So glad you asked this as we are going in Sept and have 4 people ...2 NEW divers and 2 snorkelers!!! so looking for something very similar

Curious on the below between the black rock beach and kapalua would they be about the same depth and snorkelers right with you?

And if we wanted a guide with us would you recommend the same companies? Shore dive or boat dive?

Hopefully the one who started the post is ok with me asking?

(is there a big difference in the morning vs afternoon dives as far as one being better)

Also,
We are going to monokini but were just going to snorkel to go on one of the rafts..like redline rafting.

Some options I know of, there are certainly others.

If you're not comfortable diving alone from shore, rent a guide. They're not going to care about the others as long as they don't have to help them also. Maui Dreams Dive Co or Shaka Divers in South Maui are options - Tiny Bubbles in West Maui.

In West Maui the Sheraton Black Rock is a shallow dive with snorkeling - in fact they'll be 20-30' above you the whole time. Maybe try Old Airport Beach (Kahekili) also - the reef starts pretty near the beach there. To the far north, one of the nicest snorkel beaches is Kapalua, you can also dive there but it won't exceed about 40'. Get tanks/gear at the Maui Dive Shop in Kahana - you won't find anything in Kapalua since Kapalua Divers closed.

I'm not this Steven but here's one of the best Black Rock descriptions I've found:
Scuba Diving Maui - Black Rock - Steven W Smeltzer Blog

At Black Rock when you look up you'll often see snorkelers above you. In the shallower parts the better ones might swim down and join you briefly. IIRC the deepest part there is 35' - some of it closer to 20'. From the Sheraton side it's a fairly decent surface swim out to the cove. Might be a little current b4 you get inside but then it's benign.

Kapalua is about 45' deep max. Part of what makes it such a nice beach is the lava outcroppings extend farther out than at some other beaches. The north one is the better diving/snorkeling. Extended Horizons - the other boat operator in Lahaina - also guides there. They mostly only go to Lana'i on their morning boat dives. Shore Diving Maui with Extended Horizons Scuba - Top Eco Dive Company - Lahaina, Hawaii

Really, I doubt there's a shop in the area that doesn't guide at both locations. If you want to try either on your own, the Maui Dive shop in Kahana is fairly convenient for tanks in that area - just off the main road and on the way to Kapalua. Maui Dive Shop Locations | Dive Shops on Maui | Maui Dive Stores | Surf Stores on Maui

Back
Top Bottom