MAUI: I only have two dives to choose, help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, Molokai diving is usually group diving so the first low on air brings the entire group up. It's also live boat diving and reboarding may be under rough conditions, so you'd want to be experienced in live boat diving (which includes mid-water safety stops without holding onto a line).

Thanks, good info. The experience isn't the problem but I would be a bit disappointed to come up with the first diver. I had that experience in the Bahamas and we were up with almost 2k psi after 20 minutes!

Extended Horizons will also do 4 different sites off Lanai if you go both trips with them, conditions permitting. While I do not doubt LD's Molokai trips go 90% of the time, I do doubt that 90% are fun for most passengers. :)

I can understand that. A "doable" isn't neccessarily the goal.

Seems like I'm hearing Lanai as a definite choice with Hawaiian Rafting Adventures or Extended Horizons. If you HAD to choose, which of these would you go with for a day at Lanai?

Thanks, good info. The experience isn't the problem but I would be a bit disappointed to come up with the first diver. I had that experience in the Bahamas and we were up with almost 2k psi after 20 minutes!

I can understand that. A "doable" isn't neccessarily the goal.

Seems like I'm hearing Lanai as a definite choice with Hawaiian Rafting Adventures or Extended Horizons. If you HAD to choose, which of these would you go with for a day at Lanai?
Having been out with both, I can tell you that both crews are exceptional, they both take good care of you with food, and you'll have a great time.

The question becomes which is the better boat for that crossing.

When I've been out with XH, the boat seems to take more of a beating and passes it along to the passengers. Several people were queasy and every wave was hit with a bone-jarring "bump".

With HRA, however, the ride was smooth, with the inflatable "catching" the boat on every wave, cushioning the blow... and that was the rare incident that the boat didn't just stay on top of the swell.

My wife and i were there in Oct. and dove with Lahaina Divers to Molokini and Lanai. The Cathedrals were amazing. The boats were full but plenty big enough to never feel crowded. I know that they are really particular about diving the back wall of molokini and the molokai dives. they wanted at least 25 dives or more if i remember right. off Lanai we did one of there dives that was a conical shaped reef that was really a cool. i will definately dive with them again when we go back. Very good charters! anyways, i cant say enough about Lanai. thats my vote! oh and on our way back the pod of 400 spinner dolphins were well worth the trip too. that was amazing too. they were everywhere.:cool2:

No use doing boat dives on Maui if you are shore diving. I agree that Lanai and the backwall of Molokini should be your first choice. The Molakai dive a close third and possibly second if you like looking for sharks.

Dang the torpedoes and waves, they'll make more Bonine!

I dove with Hawaiian Rafting Adventures last Aug and thought they did a great job... Great crew and the boat is fast and stable.... I will dive with them again in a heartbeat..

Adam

I'm doing Lanai, Molokini Backwall, and Molokai when I'm there in April with Lahaina Divers. I'll let you know how they were....

Going in May -- Molokini Crater, Molokini Backwall, Lanai, and Molokai are all planned.

All will be with Lahaina Divers. I dived with them in '07 and look forward with diving with them again.

I spoke to them yesterday and leaned that they are having around 90% success rate seeing hammerheads on the Molokai trip. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom