maui in 1 week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Aloha all,
My wife and I are headed to Maui on Saturday the 23rd for 8 days in paradise. We have a two tank shore dive booked with maui dream dives and a 2 tank boat dive with Ed Robinson. Any advice for a newbie for diving and general vacation tips as I have never been to Hawaii? We are planning on bringing 3 mil full wet suits as neither of us get cold very easily.

What are some other must do activities in Maui? Our plans include a day trip to Oahu, Haleakala, Road to Hana, Whale watching, Maui Sunset Luau.

Mahalo (I hope I spelled that right)

I used a 5 mil in Maui and I was still cold, But I get cold easy. We dove with Shaka Divers and LOVED it. we are new'ish to diving and He points EVERYTHING out to you.

As for vacation tips; Road to Hana get the CD or a travel book so you know where to stop and a jeep or convertable is a must it just makes it so much better. DO NOT go if it is raining that day. We got stuck up there for 5 hrs on the way home because a tree fell do to the rain. You have to stop along the way for it to be fun, there is NOTHING to do in Hana (well except to get a i survived the road to hana t-shirt) and dont worry about thinking that you have to get down before dark. It is actually easier to drive down in the dark because you can see the headlights of the cars coming around the corners vs. during the day they just kind of surprise you.

As for Whale watching if you are going on boat dives there is a really good chance you will see some and they usually stop and let you look at them so bring a camera. but if you dont see any then book on.

Haleakala try to go the first day. Get up at 2 AM so you can see the sunrise. You will be up early that day anyway. But call up top and get a weather update before you drive all the way there. DO NOT GO on the same day you dive its at 10,000 ft

Drive the north Sore. There are some hikes and GREAT views. My fav was the a hike to a Blow Hole I forget the name. Wear good walking shoes not flip flops. I learned the hard way :)

Lots of sunscreen, even if it is cloudy!

Message me if you have any questions, We just went last week and we LOVED IT!

sounds like we have planned everything you suggested. We might have to check out west maui, we did not have that on the plans

For non-diving things to do get a copy of "Maui Revealed", it's an excellent guide book, covers lots of thing to do that I'd never have found without it..
here's a link to the Wizard publication site:
Maui Revealed - The Ultimate Guidebook

3mil is fine for me there, but I don't get cold very easy.

Have fun, I'm jealous because I have to wait till September!

Hope you have a great trip. If you are into shore diving, there are a lot of places to go. I'd have to recommend Mala Ramp for sure. Very neat dive. You can stop into any Maui Dive Shop and pickup a free dive guide that shows most of the shore diving spots.

I've never been over in Winter, (only Summer and Fall) 3MM wet suit has always been plenty for me. My bro-in-law only uses a skin.

I won't dive in less than a 5mm in Maui, and even layered a 3mm vest under it this year. My husband who is usually find in a 3mm, found himself cold even with a 3mm vest under it. The water was colder this year than previous years (according to our computers), and we heard it was because of the storms they had rolling through in December.

Have a wonderful trip!

Back
Top Bottom