Maui in December 18-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for shore diving and boat diving for December on Maui.
We have 2 new divers with about 30 dives under their belt.
The other 2 are divemaster and instructor.
Looking for a variety of dives due to difference in skills of the divers.
We have the option of splitting up into 2 teams on a few days and
go different directions.

We will be staying in Kihei.

Give me some dive shops and shore and boat dive sites that are a
must see.

Also, should we book in advance? I am not sure how busy they will be in December.
Thank you in advance.

You're going to be there at the start of high season. If you want to dive with a specific operator, you're wise to book at least a couple of months before you arrive.

For shore diving, Shaka Doug is an excellent guide, but if you want to go out on your own, pick up a free magazine at Maui Dive Shop for info on shore diving sites.

In south Maui two easy sites are Makena Landing and Ulua, but keep in mnd they are very popular and you'll want to get there early to get a parking spot. We consider Maui Dreams to be out local dive shop and you can get a 10 tank card for $40 that multiple people can share. They're also a great resource for conditions, and have excellent rental gear.

ScubaHawk27 does scooter dives from shore that many around here swear by and recommend.

For boat diving, Ed Robinsons runs advanced charters on Sundays, Tuesdays, Fridays, and you can dive with Ed on the Wednesday charter. Tuesday is a 3-tank charter, but you don't want to do any of these charters unless you're comfortable doing a mid-water safety stop and reboarding a boat in potentially rough seas. Ed's regular charters are excellent with divers of all skill levels.

B&B leaves earliest in the morning (6am) and does a great job with divers of all levels.

Mike Severns does the most extensive briefing on the marine life, so if you're into that, they're a great choice. They also take divers of all skill levels.

Makena Coast Charters is great for divers of all levels, but their ladder can be tough to climb in rough seas.

Dive & Sea leaves the latest of all, takes only 6-8 divers on a boat that can easily handle 13, provides wonderful personalized service, and does a great job with divers of all skill levels.

Last edited:
Oh, my. You are talking about rough seas. When do the seas pick up? When would be the calmest conditions to dive?

Oh, my. You are talking about rough seas. When do the seas pick up?
Every day about noon.
When would be the calmest conditions to dive?
Before that.

It's why the boats leave from the ramp at 6AM - two dives at Molokini and you're back before 11am. Most of the operators do their afternoon dives along the more protected Maui coast. Since the boats launch from the ramp, they're size limited. I think B&B has the biggest boat (40') in the Kihei area now. And the best brownies...

Often where possible - like Lanai - they'll moor on the south side near shore and let the island shelter the site. You'd have to drive to Lahaina (45mins.) to get on a boat to go there - either Lahaina Divers or Extended Horizons. Lahaina has big 46' Newton dive boats - they're about the best option if that's a concern. Actually the 80' snorkel Cats are but only a couple offer diving and it's pricier. Also they moor at the best snorkel sites inside the crater.

Inside Molokini Crater it's sheltered so it's not as big a problem. The backside can be rougher in Winter, big waves roll in across all the islands and slam into the north sides of whatever they hit first.

On the flipside, you should be there in Humpback season. I'd be surprised if you didn't see some on your daily ride out. On the Backwall you may even hear them sing. But it's potentially (more likely in winter) a live drop and pickup so that may be one for your friends.

Shorediving will be less affected. Many of the bays are protected from one direction or another so just find the right one. Maui Dreams Dive Co.^ will know daily since their staff is out doing that. Or shore dive with Shaka Doug - Shaka Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom