Maui Madness, part 2, B&B Rocks again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oside Jimc

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I just got home from my bonus trip to Maui, just a short 6 days, but I got 3 more days of diving with B&B.

Firsy day was a bit windy, we dove middle reef at Molokini for the first tank, yat another gem. Sharks, big Ulua, garden eels, just a great time. I left my Nikonos home on this trip and used Brad's digital, so one again lot's of fish butts and fuzzy shots. I can tell the move to digital is going to take some adjustment! But sill got a couple of passable shots:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The second dive was Red Hill, probably my favorite dive on the shoreline, lots of diverse life. Eels, Frogfish, Turtles, and multiple eagle rays. And as a bonus an appearance by a huge school of Barracuda, very cool! As a photo trip this one was a bust, just 1 keeper.

attachment.php

The next morning the wind had blown all night and it was whitecapped just outside the ramp at 6:00am. For the sake of safety Brad mad the call the Molokini was off so we did 1 tank at Red Hill, the second at White Rock. More fun diving! The Morays were out on the prowl in force, we saw 6 different Zebra Morays, a couple of Snowflakes, and the usual parade of white mouth. Highlight of the day was an eagle ray feeding in the sand, oblivious to us watching him for a good 5 minutes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

66548d1255823802-maui-madness-part-2-b-b-rocks-again-eel2.jpg

What the hell is this????? I forgot to ask on the boat :dork2:

attachment.php

The last day was the highlight of both trips to the Island, weather was perfect so we did the back wall, what a spectacular dive, not as much fish and coral as inside the crater, but for my money an awe inspiring dive.

attachment.php

Amazing, Fish really do have heads!

attachment.php

The final dive of the trip was back to Red Hill, amazing as usual, but I am a little appalled at what the shore fishermen are doing the the area, at the start of the dive the bottom was a mess of line and weights, I filled by thigh pocket in no time.
attachment.php

Very Cool!
attachment.php

Alas all good things must come to an end so for the next 5 moths I'll be back in the dry suit until my spring Mexico trip.

Until then here is a short video from the different dives of this trip (A BIG plus for digital!):

Attachments

• shark.JPG
    shark.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 121
  • shark2.JPG
    shark2.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 122
  • fish3.JPG
    fish3.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 133
  • fish4.JPG
    fish4.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 115
  • shrimp.JPG
    shrimp.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 110
  • ray.JPG
    ray.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 123
  • eel2.JPG
    eel2.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 114
  • wall1.JPG
    wall1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 118
  • fish1.JPG
    fish1.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 153
  • fish2.JPG
    fish2.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 130
  • eel1.JPG
    eel1.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 141
  • fish1a.JPG
    fish1a.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 100
  • fish2a.JPG
    fish2a.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 99
  • eel1b.JPG
    eel1b.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 95
  • fish1b.JPG
    fish1b.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi Jim,

Your "what the hell is this" question is between two photos, and I'm not sure which you're referring to.

The photo before the question is a Zebra Moray, the one after is a parrotfish -- my bet is on a Palenose Parrotfish (though it could also be a Redlip -- hard to tell with the overexposure/motion blur around the mouth area).

BTW: your photos turned out great! You may find that upgrading to a really good digital camera system (e.g. dSLR such as Nikon D90/D300) will produce the shots your used to and fewer "fish butts" -- the shutter is much quicker on the dSLR's than the P&S.

I'm sorry I couldn't have joined you again this year -- a week's difference would have made it all possible! I'm glad you had a great trip, though!

Hi Jim,

Your "what the hell is this" question is between two photos, and I'm not sure which you're referring to.

Photos have been fixed, I'm wondering about the skinny red fishy thing.

BTW: your photos turned out great! You may find that upgrading to a really good digital camera system (e.g. dSLR such as Nikon D90/D300) will produce the shots your used to and fewer "fish butts" -- the shutter is much quicker on the dSLR's than the P&S.

Just as soon as I find a money tree. But I will buy my own P&S so I can get used one system.

I'm sorry I couldn't have joined you again this year -- a week's difference would have made it all possible! I'm glad you had a great trip, though!

Well maybe next year! Hope school has been going great for you!

Back
Top Bottom