Maui Molokini Back Wall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMGinger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I'll be off to Maui at the start of April and plan to dive either Lanai Cathedrals or Molokini Back Wall. I've seen a recent thread with everyones input on which to do, but what I would like to get some more info on is how difficult the back wall is since most operators indicate it is an advanced dive.

A little bit about my experience:
  • I have my open water certification
  • I have logged just over 30 dives
  • I have not done any drift certification/specialization
  • I have experience boarding the dive boat in some fairly rough seas (off Brisbane and Julian Rocks and in New Caledonia)
  • I have done a safety stop with no reference point during a strong current dive (also Julian Rocks)
  • Most of my dives are around 20m/66ft with max depth of 90ft
I am a pretty strong swimmer and have solid buoyancy control, just wondering what to expect if I dive the back wall (lets assume that the conditions are favorable enough for a responsible operator to give the green light to dive). Any info on currents, surges etc would be helpful. Also, if I am diving between 70-80 ft is that sufficient to see the highlights of the dive?

I'd say it would be within your experience. Molokini is a slow, relaxed drift. I hope you are able to hear whalesong on all your dives. If I'm not mistaken, that is towards the end of humpback season. Lots to see even at 60 feet.. No need to go deeper in my opinion. Carry a good dive light to light up the fish back in cracks.

I haven't dived the Lanai Cathedrals.

You'll be fine on the backwall. It's considered an advanced dive because it's a live dive and reboarding the boat can be rough, you have to do a midwater safety stop with no line, and it's a no bottom depth (meaning you need to be able to dive without the bottom as a reference or stopping point). You'll be more than fine.

We're also there the first part of April and will be diving with Ed Robinson's for our charters, which typically include a dive at Molokini.

The back side of Molokini interesting because of the geology and the white tip sharks. I've done the Cathedrals a couple of times each and they are well worth the trip.

Never miss an opportunity to do the backwall of Molokini when you are in Maui. Its usually my first go to boat dive. You can check out my blog photos from a double back wall dive here. But I always tell people that in Maui, there are the "Big 3" dives, that you can't go wrong with. Cathedrals is one of them. Find out what the third one is here...Capturing the Moment: Best Dive Sites of Maui: The Big Three

Thanks for he input everyone, I couldn't decide on which to do, so I did both. Visibility on the back wall was awesome and we came back and did some snorkelling on the front side later on in the week and that was pretty amazing as well.

We dove two sites off Lanai; Monolith and 2nd Cathedral and both were great. Visibility wasnt quite as good on Lanai but was still pretty spectacular (seems like it's hard to beat the vis at Molokini). The structures off Lanai are pretty interesting, the caverns are massive and really quite fun to explore!

Never miss an opportunity to do the backwall of Molokini when you are in Maui. Its usually my first go to boat dive.

Very cool video Dai Mar, and great shots of the back wall, I'm glad I got to both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom