Maui - Need referral for snorkel companies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I've already got my dives setup with B&B, but my wife and another couple want to snorkel.

I've checked out the web sites of a few companies and they all seem to have some things in common....

1) They tend to recommend going in the morning when the water is calm
2) They all serve continental breakfast and BBQ lunch
3) Most go to Molokini and Turtle town

So can anyone steer me to a tried and trued operator? This is a pretty basic service, but still, I'd like to stay away from any turkeys that may be operating.

Thanks,

Beck

We took the Pride of Maui out to Molokini for the "whale watch" while we didnt get too close to whales we did make it out to Molokini and got a great BBQ lunch. They also had a bar that was open for free beer and mai tai's after snorkeling. We were pretty happy with the experience. All those companies do the same exact thing so judging by quality of food alone, I reccommend Pride of Maui.

When I was in Kaua'i for snorkeling, I drove all over and snorkeled where ever I wanted.
No cost.

I took my daughter to Molokini on Trilogy and had a great time. I've also done the Lahaina to Lanai excursion with my wife, and she liked it enough that the next year she took her two sisters on the trip.
We were lucky and got to watch several jacks harrass and eel for several minutes on the shallow side of Reef's End at Molokini, just inshore of "Garbonzo's Lair"

There are also lots of spots to snorkel right close in to shore. Mile Marker 14 or Olowalu (sp?) is a very popular shallow snorkel spot (perhaps TOO shallow at low tide -- you have to stay in the channels or you'll scrape the coral). Ask around once you get on island, or drop by and pick up the free snorkel and dive brochure available at the many Maui Dive Shop stores.

If I just HAD to snorkle (have to buy one of those things) I'd go up to Honolua as it's pretty shallow over those coral reefs on either side.

If you want to see lots of turtles and great fish life, check out the reef south of the Maui Prince in Makena. There is a public access parking lot, turn right at the first road just past the hotel. On our last two trips to Maui we stayed at the Prince and the snorkeling has been great. The far south end of the reef is a guarantee for turtles, especially in the afternoon when they come in to feed. We just got back June 8th, and on that trip I was lucky enough to see a small school of bluefin trevally feeding in the shallows, as well as a peacock flounder and octopus in addition to all of the other species encountere. I would highly recommend this location, especially since this is one of the spots many of the snorkel boats will visit when they come to "Turtle Town" :wink: . Here are some of the picts I took while snorkeling at this reef.

Tim

I'd go and buy Maui Revealed, snorkel their suggest sights, and skip the boat all together. Thats what I did anyway when it came to snorkling. Its just something about going at my own pace that I prefer to a pushy boat crew.

lackingcreativity:
I'd go and buy Maui Revealed, snorkel their suggest sights, and skip the boat all together. Thats what I did anyway when it came to snorkling. Its just something about going at my own pace that I prefer to a pushy boat crew.
There's advantages to both. Sailing out to Molokini is something that you really ought to try at least once.

I found the Trilogy crew very friendly, and they were very good at working with people that had never snorkled and getting them comfortable in the water.

Going out to Molokini is a fun excursion, complete with BBQ. Trilogy's Lanai excursion is a fun sail, whale watching (Dec-Apr season), BBQ, snorkeling, van tour of Lanai, and a sunset cruise back.

The whole Trilogy (or other excursion boat) thing is an "event" quite different than you and another person from your party hopping in the water to snorkel a bit. Both are fun, but they are different.

Charlie99:
There's advantages to both. Sailing out to Molokini is something that you really ought to try at least once.

I found the Trilogy crew very friendly, and they were very good at working with people that had never snorkled and getting them comfortable in the water.

Going out to Molokini is a fun excursion, complete with BBQ. Trilogy's Lanai excursion is a fun sail, whale watching (Dec-Apr season), BBQ, snorkeling, van tour of Lanai, and a sunset cruise back.

The whole Trilogy (or other excursion boat) thing is an "event" quite different than you and another person from your party hopping in the water to snorkel a bit. Both are fun, but they are different.

Molokini was a pretty neat dive, but from the bottom I could see all of the snorkelers going up and down in 3 foot seas. Maui is in the open ocean and because of this it frequently becomes rough. Thats my reasoning for snorkling on shore and going at my own pace. Plus then my diving money didn't go to snorkling. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom