Maui trip report end of Jan / beg of Feb 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was the Covid regulations entry and exit experience like at the airport? We are supposed to go to the Big Island in May, and are concerned about getting tested before we go and then also being tested on arrival. Curious to know how things flowed for you.

have not booked a hotel yet - would want to book one that is near shore diving
I'd suggest getting advice from the folks at Maui Mantas, as they know far better than me. I think you will have an issue with getting tanks however without a car. Honestly, you will see very little of the island without a car.

What was the Covid regulations entry and exit experience like at the airport? We are supposed to go to the Big Island in May, and are concerned about getting tested before we go and then also being tested on arrival. Curious to know how things flowed for you.
Okay, that part was a super unpleasant experience. I followed all the rules. My wife and I got tested through a lab via Alaska Airlines two days prior to departure (within the required 72 hours). Got the results the next morning, uploaded to the state of Hawaii website for my wife and I. Status for both of us was "uploaded." What I didn't realize is that wasn't enough. There's the verification of results by the state. Alaska Airlines screwed up by clearing us from quarantine (you get an wrist band to indicate such when you reach your destination), as when we checked into our hotel, reception wanted to see the website report that we were both cleared from quarantine. My test results were verified, but my wife's was "pending verification." So, instant 10-day quarantine for both of us. I spent 6 hours on the phone and multiple emails to get that fixed. No idea why mine was checked and hers wasn't. I think the state of Hawaii is screwed up as a couple days later, my wife received an email clearing her from quarantine from her flight from LA (we flew from Seattle) to Honolulu (wrong island). We were the first people at the hotel who got out of quarantine. Other people just flew back. The state of Hawaii doesn't screw around despite being screwed up. If you are in quarantine, you cannot leave your room. If you do, the hotel has to notify the police who put an APB out for you. And they will arrest you even if you have negative results. Governor's mandate.

I was incredibly angry when this went down, as we followed the rules, but we suffered the consequences of other people screwing up. It was incredibly stressful, so whatever you do, check with everyone you have to deal with (airline, car rental, hotel) and make sure you have what they require. DO NOT GET ON THE PLANE WITHOUT HAVING WHAT IS NEEDED TO BE CLEARED EVERY STEP OF THE WAY! It DOES NOT matter that your test results are negative. Our hotel required verbal release from quarantine from the state, something the people who helped me didn't understand as they said the updated website results should be sufficient. I just walked down to the reception desk with them on the phone.

DO NOT GET ON THE PLANE WITHOUT HAVING WHAT IS NEEDED TO BE CLEARED EVERY STEP OF THE WAY! It DOES NOT matter that your test results are negative.

Wow! Sorry to hear you had such a bad and strange experience. Thanks for sharing the details.

We had exactly the opposite experience. We flew to the Big Island on December 28 and stayed in Kona.

Testing at the airport before the trip was a snap, and although we were also given an antigen test on arrival, it went very smoothly. During our stay, the Covid positive test rate on the Big Island was about 1.5%, apparently 0% from howlie's

Except for a Manta dive, and a pelagic night dive, I'd rate the diving as a big "meh". Although I've never dived in Maui, I have dived on Oahu, Kaua'i and now Hawai'i. I guess it is what experiences you're coming from. If local diving is a quarry,
then Hawai'i (the state) will paradise. If your experiences are the Caribbean or SE Asia, at least you're getting wet, but the fish variety and colors are very subdued.

A couple points coming from someone that was a dive boat captain and dive guide on Maui for 4 years.

The difference in shore diving between Hawaii and someplace like Bonaire, is primarily going to be with water temp and the power of the waves. Water temp will range from about 72-78, depending on when you go. No mid-80's diving like the Carribean. The waves will also be WAY more powerful than an equivalent sized wave in the Caribbean. If your comfort level for surf entries on Bonaire is 2 foot waves, just know that a 2 foot wave on Maui will knock you on your butt. Also, if you are watching the surf report in Hawaii, they measure the wave height from the back, not the front. So a "2 foot wave" would have a 4 foot face.

I would consider surf strength closer to west coast conditions than Carribean conditions. The nice thing about being on an island is most of the time you can find some place with little to no surf with lots of protected bays. You just might have to drive to the other side of the island!

As far as the diving being "meh," I can completely understand that. Hawaii doesn't wow you with soft corals, and super bright fish or coral colors. It takes some time and guidance to appreciate it. The cool thing is that about 25% of the fish there are endemic to Hawaii. They may not be as bright or flashy, but you won't see them anywhere else in the world!

In terms of car-free: I was in Maui a few years ago. Maui Dreams is in a block of apartments with a park and beach across the street. They are restricted in where they can guide you. But apparently, you personally can dive wherever you want. I do not know what the diving is like off that bit of shore though. Various hotels are up the street as well within a modest walk. You might be able to leave your gear with Maui Dreams and get tanks from them for daily dives across the street. A car would be easier though. Taxi fare from the airport might be steep.

Taxi fare from the airport might be steep.
I'd go for a bus into Kihei then figure out the rest from there. Taxi or uber.

But Maui isn't cheap. Won't be saving that much, as a car rental is one of the smallest expenses.

As far as the diving being "meh," I can completely understand that. Hawaii doesn't wow you with soft corals, and super bright fish or coral colors. It takes some time and guidance to appreciate it. The cool thing is that about 25% of the fish there are endemic to Hawaii. They may not be as bright or flashy, but you won't see them anywhere else in the world!

Our first trip to the Big Island, we left thinking "meh" too. I'm not sure why we returned for a second time - but our second trip there was SO wonderful. We discovered a different kind of diving, a different way to appreciate the hard coral and the critters. We loved it and we really want to return. But after reading how difficult it was to navigate the covid stuff ... we may be canceling or postponing our trip (I wonder how much of our money the airlines have at this point?!). :(

View attachment 641222
I hope this pic clarifies where to go, how to enter, where to descend.
[...]

Let me know of any further questions. I'd like this post to be a datapoint/resource for others.

Thanks, yes, that’s definitely clear. I know that tiny lot and have parked in one of those few spots. You had a reasonable surface swim there.

About diving in Hawaii, I’d say that it’s certainly true that the hard corals are not colorful, and the differences in color and texture are much more subtle than for, say, the soft corals of the Caribbean. No question. I enjoy the endemic fish, the nudibranchs, and the whale song. It’s a more subtle experience than the Caribbean.

Ok, not the whale song. That’s not subtle off west Maui. Continuous calls in the winter season. Our first trip in whale season we did multiple dives at Kahekili doing nothing other than floating underwater, breathing slowly, listening to the whales calling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom