MAVs for sidemount...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I got my sidemount kit for my SF2. It was easy enough to put together, but I really don't like a few things. Mainly, there seem to be hoses sticking out all over the place. No, not much, but enough to ruin the qi. The thing I like the least is the oxygen MAV. You have to pull out the MAV port and install the button into the side of the unit. I don't like this for a few reasons. First, you have to excessively reconfigure the unit between back and side mount units. Second, I don't like the idea of that oxy MAV button there.

So, what do you use? Tell us about it and show us pics. I'm going to make a few dives configured this way, but I can see myself changing things sooner rather than later.

Why is sidemount important on an SF2? That's a pretty small rebreather as it is. (I'm not being my typical sidemount self, it's just a question)

It's important for me to be able to switch back and forth as I see fit. Sidemounting in caves just works for me. I keep banging my unit on ceilings because I am so used to the clearance I have with sidemounting. With a pair of LP 45s for bail out and din and an AL19 for oxygen, I can do pretty much everything I want to do without being overly negative.

In the Keys, I will probably just stick with back mount, the two 3L steel bottles and a single AL40 bailout. Use the right tool for the job at hand.

Pete, have you looked at the Chris Kennedy dual MAV's? They're pretty slick and not that expensive. Lot's of guys using them on the sidekicks right now. He has provisions for CMF and needle valves on them for O2 as well if you want to make it hCCR. I've also seen people using the Revo Triple MAV's, but they're a bit big...

Links??? I searched for hours for "MAV" and "Manual Add Valve" as well as other combinations and didn't get much. A dual/triple MAV kind of scares me. On back mount, left is dil and right is oxygen. Pretty easy to not hit the wrong one.

rEvo Manual Gas Addition Block

So that's the Revo block where the O2 is recessed, colored blue, and smooth topped. One is on-board, one is off-board, and both are black, with raised stars on the tops. Can be had with or without CMF.

First mod for my Defender
this is the Chris Kennedy needle valve for O2. You get needle leaky valve, and a normal MAV function out of the same block. I believe this can be had with a CMF as well.
Needle Valve My rEvoII
Old thread, but here is the first prototype of his dual add. Normal O2 with needle valve *he likes those quite a bit*, and then a swivel for some sort of off board. I couldn't find the picture of his new dual MAV that was a bit more refined than that, but you'd have to contact him directly to check on what he is offering. Odds are if he doesn't have it, he can make it for you very quickly.

pictures for those that aren't on the rebreather forums, or those that have been banned, which is apparently becoming a rather distinguished list for RBW. The dual MAV is a prototype from years ago, I know Chris has a more refined one out, but couldn't easily find a picture

So, where does one buy these? The pictures are nice to finally see, but I would love to know who I could buy them from.

You will need to contact Chris. He makes them to order and ships them when finished. I reached out to him via facebbok to get mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom