max depth with an 80 cuft. tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But have you done a CESA from 100 ft after already having been there for awhile and not gotten bent? :)

No from 70' after about 10 min. The one and only real life CESA I've done. I don't normally get myself into that position. I did at the time blame my dive buddy but in the end it was me that decided to use his spare regulator that failed in a no air condition.

Thanks to all for your input. My take from all you have responded is this:
1.) It's perfectly fine and we all do go below 80' with an 80 but using a larger cylinder would be preferable. Whether its safe or wise is a personal judgement call.
2.) Deep diving requires good gas planning and management. know your rock bottom gas requirement.
3.) When diving below 80', good idea to sling or attach a pony.
4.) Good Dive buddy skills.
5.) Practice Practice and think of all the possible things that could go wrong and be prepared.

Thanks to all for your input. My take from all you have responded is this:
1.) It's perfectly fine and we all do go below 80' with an 80 but using a larger cylinder would be preferable. Whether its safe or wise is a personal judgement call.
2.) Deep diving requires good gas planning and management. know your rock bottom gas requirement.
3.) When diving below 80', good idea to sling or attach a pony.
4.) Good Dive buddy skills.
5.) Practice Practice and think of all the possible things that could go wrong and be prepared.

That's a fair summary.

It depends on your rate of consumption. I have taken an 80cu 140 safely.

Hey I can take an AL80 to the deepest abyss of the ocean safely.. Dont expect me to go down with it and breath from it tho..

Why was it safe in your opinion? Because you lived? :shakehead:

Incident free and safe are two completely different things. You were incident free, not safe.

Incident free and safe are two completely different things. You were incident free, not safe.
Actually, I wouldnt say wether or not it was safe without knowing more about the dive..
Was there ponies involved, buddies, what was the dive plan and the divers consumption rates, what breathing gas was used (on air it would be a pretty useless thing to do IMO given an NDL of something like 8 minutes) and so on and so forth..

Actually, I wouldnt say wether or not it was safe without knowing more about the dive..
Was there ponies involved, buddies, what was the dive plan and the divers consumption rates, what breathing gas was used (on air it would be a pretty useless thing to do IMO given an NDL of something like 8 minutes) and so on and so forth..
I've taken an AL80 3000ft back in a cave...with double HP130's on my back.

I seriously don't think that's what the OP meant here, and I still can't fathom a safe way to take a AL80 to 140ft even if you're slinging a rather large pony bottle. Calculate rock bottom times for safety stops and a minute or two to share air at the bottom to shoot a lift bag and/or settle whatever issues you might have and you realize it's a silly idea.

It's very simple math and logic to prove it's a bad idea, if the OP wants to explain what he did, I'd be glad to explain why mathematically and/or logically it wont work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom