max distance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba fan

Reaction score
When I want to increase underwater time with one tank, I have to relax and swim slow. What I have to do When I want to increase underwater swim distance with one tank? What fins kick I have to use? How often I have to breathe per kick?

You get a scooter...

scuba fan once bubbled...
When I want to increase underwater time with one tank, I have to relax and swim slow. What I have to do When I want to increase underwater swim distance with one tank? What fins kick I have to use? How often I have to breathe per kick?
Let's use an automobile as an example. As you move at higher speed, your range per tank of gas will increase, up to a point, after which it will rapidly decrease again. For most "standard" cars that speed is somewhere between 40 and 70 mph. The same thing applies to swimming to get max distance out of a tank. Too slow or too fast wastes gas. For me, the level of effort for max range (in a no current situation) is about the same as a brisk walking pace.
As for kicks, it depends a bit on the fins, but in general a moderately wide, moderately slow flutter is most efficient. Again, there may be other considerations or conditions that dictate a different kick, but for pure efficiency the flutter's the best.
To find your own best speed, you just have to get in the water and dive.
---------------------
Currents - when going into a current max range will be at a higher speed than no current, when going with the current a more relaxed pace will get you farther on the same gas.
Rick

... to the first question.

However concerning fins and kicks...

Maximum distance in my experience is obtain by using paddle fins and the frog kick~n~glide technique. The frog kick is very efficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom