Max size for Compact Flash Card for the 5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erik.p

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've searched the web and this and other forums...

Is there a built in maximum size for the CF-card that the Olympus 5050 can handle?

erik.p:
I've searched the web and this and other forums...

Is there a built in maximum size for the CF-card that the Olympus 5050 can handle?

I am using a 1gb CF card and have been told that 5050 wil go to maximum of 2gb. I prefer Lexar because of speed.

The oly 5050 uses fat 16 for format. Fat 16 is limited to 2gb. So in short max card size is 2GB.

Fat 32 will allow much larger but most electronics still dont use it my mp3 player is the same way so my 2gb cf card is as large as it will go. plus its nice to format it and use it for my oly 5050 also.... lots of pics and unless you are taking nonstop pics more than you will get on a single dive. also if that is a problem you can switch to your xd card for a few more.

According to information I've got from Olympus, The C5050 will take only up to 1GB Microdrives. Not sure whether it is true since I'm using a 1GB CF card. Not sure about the size of the CF cards it would accept either though.

In my limited experience, I've found that carrying several 256 or 512 CF cards in addition to a large xd card yields greater flexibility and the cards seem to record faster than the monster ones.

Just my .02

Back
Top Bottom