'Maximum' dive depth based on certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm currently diving in the Caymans and there hasn't been any issues (or restrictions) on OW divers diving to full recreational depth. So at least for this trip "depth by cert" hasn't become "defacto standard" even in the Caymans. Hopefully that will remain the case for actual diving in this part of the world and just continue as a lively discussion on SB. All IMHO, YMMV. Safe diving and have fun. :)

IIRC @stuartv figured out how to get a deep cert, not PADI though, without a full AOW. Apparently it's doable if you put your mind to it.

I did all my recreational training in SDI courses. SDI does not require you to have AOW (or the SDI equivalent, which is called Advanced Adventure Diver) in order to do the full Deep Specialty course.

Rather than do a course with a sampler platter of dives (e.g. AOW or equivalent), I did 4 full specialties to, ultimately, get my SDI Advanced Scuba Diver card (which is not the same as Advanced Adventure Diver or PADI's Advance Open Water).

I did the full versions of:

Advanced Buoyancy Control
Nitrox
Deep
Wreck
Drysuit
Rescue

Somewhere along the way in there I had logged 25 dives. At that point, the shop I was training with issued me the SDI Advanced Scuba Diver card (at no charge). Once I had 50 dives logged (plus those full specialty courses), they issued me an SDI Master Scuba Diver card (also at no charge).

Actually (I went and looked), SSI Deep Specialty also lists OWD only as a pre-requisite. So if anyone wants to do deep without full AOW, it's easy: just don't do it with PADI.

Actually (I went and looked), SSI Deep Specialty also lists OWD only as a pre-requisite. So if anyone wants to do deep without full AOW, it's easy: just don't do it with PADI.

I mentioned that earlier along with the same OWD as the only prerequisite for Rescue, similar to SDI.

Bob

I mentioned that earlier along with the same OWD as the only prerequisite for Rescue, similar to SDI.

I missed that in all the screaming and wailing. I'm pretty sure my PADI book lists 40 m as the recreational depth limit too, and anyone claiming otherwise should have failed the multiple-guess exam on reading comprehension score.

Back
Top Bottom