Maximum wave height for scuba diving in SE Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caruso

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're diving next week in Jupiter, West Palm down to Boynton and finishing up in Fort Lauderdale.

Watching the forecasts which predict heights 4.5' with periods of about 8' by the end of the week. Does anyone know when the Dive Ops start canceling due to the conditions? Or when it simply gets too miserable to sit on the boat between dives as well as difficulty getting on the ladder?

There's always inland dive sites but they're a bit of a drive, gotta start thinking contingencies.

I haven't dove out that way but for me around 5' is about my max. 5' seas on a 40' boat is still a rough ride and has the ladder coming out the water which makes getting on the boat a challege. A lot of people are usually sea sick as well. I dive a lot out of gulf shores and when it's 3-5' or higher they usually take a vote on how many people want to go out. Sure you can dive rougher seas but the point is to have fun and I personally feel bigger than 5' is not worth it.

Probably best to call the individual operations.

I wouldn't go out if the Seas are 3 feet.

But some operations will because if you cancel on them, they keep your money if they cancel on you, they refund the money...

some operations will because if you cancel on them, they keep your money if they cancel on you, they refund the money...

I'd like to think the Dive Ops I am scheduled with would not treat their customers that way.

I'd like to think the Dive Ops I am scheduled with would not treat their customers that way.
It prevents last-minute cancelations. Especially in smaller boats, 6packs etc. They need a minimum number of divers to pay for the gas out and back.

They aren't doing it to be dicks, it's just business.

I may have misunderstood your post. To me it sounded like the Dive Op intentionally didn't cancel no matter how bad it was so they'd be able to charge the divers full price since they'd be the ones to cancel.

I may have misunderstood your post. To me it sounded like the Dive Op intentionally didn't cancel no matter how bad it was so they'd be able to charge the divers full price since they'd be the ones to cancel.
I can see how you might have read that. No worries.

None of the boat captains I know of would risk their boat, ie lively hood to go out.

Some of the inlets down here are sporty in a good day. Going out some in bad weather is deadly.

I think it was hust a few years ago a boat out of Pompano capsized in the inlet when it came in and got caught at a strange angle.

Depends on the boat, and the composition of the divers on the boat.

For example tech and advanced sites they might go out to 5-6 feet, but won't go to more basic sites in those conditions. Of course there are exceptions, for example PDC went out some shallower sites in conditions that they normally would cancel on, but because the divers on the boat were all tech or advanced that went out on the morning trip.

Keep in mind wave predictions are the averages of the highest 1/3 of waves. However it's not uncommon for waves of twice the predicted height to be mixed in. 5 foot seas, 8 seconds apart on a 40 ft. boat is doable.

I recall last year we went out with a 2-3' wave forecast and 10 knot wind, 25 ft. boat. Nothing uncommon about that, except we were surprised to find about every 7th wave was a five footer. In the Gulf we have a tight wave interval, so that day ended up pretty sporty 25-30 miles offshore.

National Weather Service Marine Forecasts - FAQ

Waves are measured from trough to crest. Seas are the combination of both locally generated wind waves and distantly generated swell waves. Specifically, seas may be derived using the following formula where S is the height of the swell waves and W is the height of the wind waves.
SEAS =
seasformula.gif

Seas and waves are expressed in the terms of the significant wave height, the mean or average height of the highest one third of all waves in a swell train or in a wave generating region. It approximates the value an experienced observer would report if visually estimating sea height. When expressed as a range (e.g. seas 3-5 ft), this indicates a degree of uncertainty in the forecast and/or expected changing conditions (not that all waves are between 3-5 ft). Generally, it is assumed that individual wave heights can be described using a Rayleigh distribution.

Example: Significant Wave Height = 10 ft
1 in 10 waves will be larger than 11 ft
1 in 100 waves will be larger than 16 ft
1 in 1000 waves will larger than 19 ft
There are occasional reports of "rogue" waves of an even greater ratio

Therefore, assuming a wave period of 8 seconds, for a significant wave height of 10 feet, a wave 19 feet or higher will occur every 8,000 seconds (2.2 hours).

Wave heights increase dramatically as waves begin to "feel" the bottom near shore or any in shallow water. Wave-current interaction will also dramatically impact wave heights such as in the area of the Gulf Stream or around jetties.

"The seventh wave of the seventh set" An old fisherman's tale? Perhaps, but it does serve to highlight that wave and surf conditions are not always constant. In open waters, the occasional wave may be twice that of the surrounding sea. There are occasional reports of "rogue" waves of an even greater ratio. Near shore waves are even less predictable. So-called "sneaker waves" can grab the unwary who venture too close to the unpredictable sea. Mariners may be drawn too close to the surf zone during periods of relative calm. Proceed cautiously and always be wary of this not uncommon phenomenon, especially in areas where breaking surf is known to occur or appears likely. From the scientific point of view, this phenomena is more likely to occur when several swell systems combine.

The danger presented to a vessel is a function of wave steepness as well as wave height and is unique to each vessel. For small vessels at a given wave height, the danger increases as the wave period decreases. Below is a table used as guidance within the National Weather Service to assist forecasters in identifying sea conditions which may require the issuance of a Small Craft Advisory. See FAQ 13 for definitions of a Small Craft Advisory.

The table was developed for coastal waters (within 60 nm of shore) off the Western US coast from Washington south to southern California and indicates potential danger to vessels with a closed cockpit configuration of ~100 feet or less. The specific values and conditions for the potential danger threats of the table cannot be applied to other waters such as the Gulf Of Mexico, Atlantic Ocean, Alaskan coastal waters or inland waters. However, an important message indicated by the table applies to all waters. That message is... for small vessels, danger increases when the wave period decreases (for a given wave height). The table is intended to be used as forecaster guidance only and not to directly correlate danger to a specific vessel. The danger presented by waves to your own vessel may be quite different.

steep.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom