Maximum wave height for scuba diving in SE Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcosis used to go out in some really sporty conditions when Van ran the boat. It was about the last boat to cancel in northern Palm Beach County. Don't know if that is still the case.

I've been out with JDC in 4-6 seas numerous times. I've been out in worse as well and it really isn't all that much fun. Even if your stomach does fine, you'll likely have people puking all around you.

We are G2G Wed and Thur only 2-4 footers. I can't see Friday yet. Keep in mind this can all change a lot. Monday we will have a much clearer picture of how it will be.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-13-at-5-13-54-PM.png

Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

So in your experience 4-6' seas is ok?

It will be a bit sporty getting back onto the boat, and you probably shouldn't have a heavy breakfast or lunch.

Since my Achilles Tendon issues, I don't do more than 4... especially in shallow seas. I have dove in tens and once in 12s. Sporty indeed. Let your captain be your guide. If they give you any out, like "Are you SURE, you want to go out?" It's there way of saying that you should not. I know you're only in Florida for a bit, but nothing is worth getting hurt over.

Whoops, that last link was the forecast 20-60 miles out. Here is the coastal one, it does look the same though.

Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

It's there way of saying that you should not. I know you're only in Florida for a bit, but nothing is worth getting hurt over.

I don't think I'd be able to give up the opportunity even if it's going to be rough, it's just my nature. Especially when I only do trips like this a few times per year at most.

Here is the coastal one, it does look the same though.

Dustin (Florida Scuba Charters Captain) tells me the forecast is favorable and don't pay too much attention because it will change 4x before we dive next week.Just promise me you won't vomit on my fins.

We dive with Jupiter Dive Center and I believe they won't take boats out if the seas are 6 ft. and over. I'll dive as long as the seas are not over about 3.5 feet. It's just very dangerous getting back on a boat using the ladder when the seas are sporty. You need to look at the wave periods, also. Shorter periods means choppier seas. In SE Florida the weather can change quickly. I remember one time when we were out last year, the seas started out around 3 ft. and by the end of the second dive they were 6 ft. That wasn't very much fun getting back on the boat! But JDC does a fabulous job getting divers safely back on the boat.

Hi @caruso

I've been diving Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter year round for the last 10 years. The chart posted by @CuzzA illustrates the relationship between wave height and wave period very nicely. The 3 inlets are not equal. Boynton Beach is most affected by high seas, Jupiter is intermediate, and West Palm the most forgiving. Depending on tide and other factors going out or coming in might be most treacherous. No wave heights strictly dictate safe or unsafe conditions, the boat captains often go look at conditions, at the inlet for instance, to help make a decision. Trend toward building or decreasing may be important. For Boynton and Jupiter somewhere around 3-5, 4-6, or a little bigger average wave height is often the cutoff. You can often get out in West Palm in somewhat bigger seas.

As others have pointed out, even if you get out, you may get beat up, on the boat, and boarding. There's often folks who are more susceptible to seasickness who will be puking their guts out.

My rule is if the boat goes, I go. I trust the 5 operators I use most often.

....Dustin (Florida Scuba Charters Captain) tells me the forecast is favorable and don't pay too much attention because it will change 4x before we dive next week.......

Dustin is a good captain and he'll run if it's safe. For JDC I'm guessing you are on the Republic 7 for the 2 tanker friday morning. Usually that is Capt Micheal's (not Mike) boat. He'll also go if it's safe. JDC knows divers are sometime driving distances, so usually they will make the Go/Nogo call about dinner time the night before (make sure they have your cell #)

I agree with others. It's not summertime (Jun to Oct) so 7 days out is too far out to have confidence in any forecast. I'd be more confident on Tuesday morning's model runs for a Friday dive.

As to model runs don't look at just one model/website. They all tweek different parameters and different data points which throws them off. What you are REALLY looking for is AGREEMENT among 3-4 models/websites so you have to compare and see what's in agreement. Below are listed the best models/websites that I use.

For 'backup' plans you have Blue Heron bridge which has a 9am high tide on Fri 4/19 and most people dive it 45 mins before thru 45 mins after high tide (90 mins total). But you'll need to get there early & dive flag is required. Remember that's Easter weekend and all the schools are out. Add in a cruddy ocean and EVERY DIVER will be headed to BHB also. If it was me and blown out 4/19, I would dive BHB in the morning, have an awesome breakfast at Johnny Longboats on Singer Island. Then drive west and go to Lion Country Safari in the afternoon which is a 'drive thru' animal park and very cool. Driving north 3 hr to cave country on Easter weekend with the crowds isn't worth it. And the key's wave models are not much better.

The models/websites I use to compare for agreement are:
Look closely at wind speed but also direction hour by hour to compare differences.

Windfinder
Windfinder.com - Wind and weather forecast Lake Worth Pier

NOAA wave 3
NWW3 Product Viewer

NOAA wave 4
National Weather Service - Graphical Forecast

NOAA Text fcst
National Weather Service Marine Forecast

And most important is the webcam. Yes it has pretty pictures and 'real time' video, but that's not the most important part of the webcam's feature. If you scroll down 2/3rd of the webcam page you'll see a little brown link called "Trends". The trends will list both wind speed and direction. This allows you to look back at what was recorded and then compare it to each of the model/websites and see which one was the most accurate for the last 24 hours. That will increase your confidence on which model/website is currently trending as most accurate. There is no such thing as a single website that is accurate all the time, doesn't work that way.

Jupiter Inlet Webcam

Lots of info, but this is what I use/do when I really want to dive on a set day. Again, it will take until Tuesday morning before the models/websites really start to 'lock-in'. In February this year, all the models were running 12 hours early which was really aggravating so compare to the wind history & direction to see who was best in their predictions.

Hope you guys get out and have a great time !!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom