Maximum wave height for scuba diving in SE Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The prediction for Wednesday actually got better, no more occasional 5 footers :)

We got some weather coming through now, it could have made it here early and it could clear up our schedule :cheers:

I just checked and the waves at the local spring are 0ft to 0ft, with occasional 0ft. I can't dive today due to other issues, but that shall pass. :D :D :D

I just checked and the waves at the local spring are 0ft to 0ft, with occasional 0ft. I can't dive today due to other issues, but that shall pass. :D :D :D

But if you go to Devil's there is a 100% of a pink flamingo inflatable.

So in your experience 4-6' seas is ok? We are booked with JDC on Friday morning.

As long as there isn't a ton of wind chop, I used to do okay in 4-6 ft waves with long-ish intervals. But many people don't. Also, the timing of the tide will be important. The Jupiter Inlet can be somewhat treacherous with high seas and an incoming tide

I ive in Orlando and dive in Jupiter and West Palm frequently. My personal line of demarcation is forecast 6' or higher. Was diving in Jupiter Friday and Saturday; the marine forecast moved around a bit as I watched several days prior to the trip, but the worst forecast for Friday and Saturday was 2 to 4', occasional 5'. Friday was good; on the morning the forecast had settled to 2 to 3' and that was about what we experienced. On Saturday with the forecast back up to "occasional 5', the trip out was pretty sporty...going out the Jupiter inlet especially. As expected, outside the inlet it was a little better; did two dives; was much better on the way back in.

For my own decision about whether to cancel beforehand, as I said, if the forecast on the day before has 6' or higher in it, even "occasional 6', then I generally cancel. Once I'm enroute or in Jupiter / West Palm I trust the Captain/operator. Most of the time our decisions align.

Jupiter Dive Center generally cancels the late afternoon before and lets everyone know. It gives me time to line up something in West Palm. If JDC does not cancel the day before, they almost always give it shot unless things have really deteriorated. Only once, we could not get out of the inlet, and once we turned back because everyone was really getting beat up and we had students and beginners on board. It was the right thing to do.

Then there was that fateful trip on the Minnow. A three hour tour they said... :D :D :D

There was actually a boat operating out of Phil Foster Park called the Minnow and I learned to not trust her. Horrible diesel smells so even 2 foot seas saw my students wretching. Then there was the day the forcast looked grim, but she said it was exagerated. Drove from Orlando with 4 students. We were the only paying customers on that boat, and she again assured me that the seas were "doable" even for newbies.

They weren't and we ended up with one student breaking a finger when a tank went awry during switch over. I demanded that she take us back, to which she declared there would be no refunds. THEN she stops to fuel and my kids had had enough. THEN she complained that someone puked on her deck. She also had a non-paying customer (friend) on board who started to complain to me that she didn't want to go in. Toughie Kaboombas. Crossed her and the Minnow off my Christmas Card list.The boat and captain are no longer there... and I hopefully will never know where they went.

Second rule of diving: You can call a dive at any time, for any reason with no questions asked and no repercussions. There's nothing down there worth getting hurt over.

I just checked and the waves at the local spring are 0ft to 0ft, with occasional 0ft. I

I was considering Ginnie Springs and Blue Grotto as backups if we lose a day or two of diving but that's over 4 hours from where we will be staying in West Palm. Are there closer inland dive sites?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom