Maximum wave height for scuba diving in SE Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was considering Ginnie Springs and Blue Grotto as backups if we lose a day or two of diving but that's over 4 hours from where we will be staying in West Palm. Are there closer inland dive sites?

Paradise is a little closer, there is also Blue Springs up near Daytona.

But if the weather is looking bad for a couple of days I would spend two days (with driving) going to Paradise, Ginnie, and Devil's Den. Those are probably the best ones you can go to without any sort of overhead cert.

.....There was actually a boat operating out of Phil Foster Park called the Minnow and I learned to not trust her.....

@guyharrisonphoto and @sportxlh may have been around WPB 20 years ago when it was Captain Renee who owned the Minnow. She was hardcore and would jump 7 foot waves in that bucket of fiberglass, LOL. She sold it to some friends of mine and move to Texas to be a safety diver for NASA's underwater training tank. Haven't heard what happened to her after that. That was well before Facebook reviews. Now a days, if the sun isn't shining and dolphins leaping infront of the bow for selfie's, the captain gets blamed on the internet. There's so much competition from WPB to the Keys, that bad dive boats are out of business in less than a year.

Now a days, if the sun isn't shining and dolphins leaping infront of the bow for selfie's, the captain gets blamed on the internet.
Few try that here on SB. Divers help introduce them to reality PDQ! :D :D

But yeah, that's her. I wasn't going to name names, other than the boat. You call it "hard core" and I call it irresponsible. Someone told me that the Minnow moved to the Keys, where boats and dreams go to die.

Paradise is a little closer, there is also Blue Springs up near Daytona.
Blue Spring State Park is actually in Orange City and there's also Alexander Springs a bit to the West. Blue Spring, on a week day is AWESOME. Not so much on the weekend as there are too many bathers whipping up the silt. Alexander is the prettiest spring in our state, but it's only 20 feet deep. A slow Scuba around the edges will allow you to see all sorts of cool stuff. Stay out of the roped off areas and don't forget the eel grass. Lots of invasive tropicals like Neon Tetras, Fancy Tailed Guppies and the like.

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I'll miss you. Hope the conditions cooperate, let me know how you do in BB

Will do... so far magic seaweed says were gtg.... maybe not so much friday... but it's too soon to tell.

Blue Spring State Park is actually in Orange City and there's also Alexander Springs a bit to the West. Blue Spring, on a week day is AWESOME. Not so much on the weekend as there are too many bathers whipping up the silt. Alexander is the prettiest spring in our state, but it's only 20 feet deep. A slow Scuba around the edges will allow you to see all sorts of cool stuff. Stay out of the roped off areas and don't forget the eel grass. Lots of invasive tropicals like Neon Tetras, Fancy Tailed Guppies and the like.

Yeah bathers are a little annoying. I was sitting over by Devil's waiting for my dive buddy, and I hear "Oh cool there is a string leading into the cave."

Well Wednesday is still looking good at 2-3 footers. Thursday may be a little dicey but I think manageable. I was supposed to head down to Key Largo Thursday night and dive the Bibb and the Spiegel on Friday, but the winds are going to be well over 20 knots so I just canceled with them.

Not that I think it is unsafe, its just not enjoyable. Anything over 20 knots and I don't go out.

Keep in mind the weather can still change and it can end up being more favorable, just wanted to give you the heads up.

Any engineers out there want to design a shock absorber for dive ladders?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom