May 19-27 Anyone going to GC SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ben_wilson3301

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be in Grand Cayman in May and were wondering if anyone on here might be there. We're diving with Don Fosters I think, only because they have an amazing special right now. 5-two tank dives for $300 US.

I will be there from May 21 through May29. I am set up for three days of diving with Indigo Divers

Just got back. Dove 9 times. Sorry but we were very dissapointed. Hardly saw any fish.
Used to seeing tons of beautiful fish. Just not there. Whould not recommend GC to anyone.
Had a great time otherwise. Definately dive Stingray City. Been diving in Hawaii, Virgin Ils,
Mexico and always saw lots of fish. Can't see the attraction. The Dive ops were very vague
when we expressed our dissapointment. Seems like things are greatly overfished. Suffering
the effects of Ivan. Maybe divers aren't used to seeing alot of fish anymore. Had not been
diving in 10 yrs. Guess things have changed. Any ideas on where to go next to see alot
of beautiful fish?
Hope you have better luck. All 4 of us felt the same way.
Sandy

What area of GC did you dive? It is not all the same.

unfortunately, pretty much everyplace has changed in 10 years.

Sunny interesting post would you care to elaborate on where you dove and what dive op you used.I have been diving Cayman since the 70's and do at least 4-6 trips there a year for the last 4 years.I have never encoutered anything like you describe.I also dove Hawaii , the Virgin Islands (both Brit. and Amer.),Bahamas,Keys,and Dominica recently so I have things to judge Cayman by.Just curios where you dove.

Since we're staying on SMB does anyone think we will need a car? So far we hadn't planned on it until we talked to a few people locally that said food on SMB was outragious and we would actually save money and eat better if we got a car. Does this sound about right or is there plenty within walking distance?

at a minimum I would rent one for 2-3 days so that you can explore the eastern part. Along SMB there are all kinds of restaurants, ranging from super expensive to affordable. Where/what hotel will you be staying at? There is also a very nice super market (Fosters) that is walking distance from Ritz/Westin/Sunshine suites.

Also, if you are on SMB, getting to Don Fosters without a car will be a bit of a pain. Although its not far, taking a cab all the time will probably not be any fun and be just as expensive as renting a car (unless Don Fosters picks you up everyday...)

M.

Don Fosters does pick us up, we are staying a the Marriot Beach Resort which is about 2 miles from Don Fosters. I think we may rent a car for a few days, it seems pretty inexpensive.

Just got back. Dove 9 times. Sorry but we were very dissapointed. Hardly saw any fish.
Used to seeing tons of beautiful fish. Just not there. Whould not recommend GC to anyone.

That's too bad. I'd be curious too as to where you dove.
I went last summer, and researched the island a fair bit. The overall consensus seemed to be that the East End had the best, and most diverse diving. We loved it.
Great swim throughs, beautiful, colorful reefs, and plenty of fish.
We also hadn't done a lot of diving in the past few years - the most recent being Kona and Maui. From our recollections though, GC EE beat these hands down.
We're going back July 1. I'll be celebrating Canada Day with an afternoon dive and an evening cold one (or two...)

:cheers:

Let me know if you see alot of fish. We just got back did 9 dives. Very dissapointed. Did not see
the tons of fish we are used to seeing diving other places.
Have a great time.
Sandy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom