May roll call! ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m back and had a great trip. Won’t rehash Coz ‘cause there are lots of posts/threads about what it is and isn’t (if you really want more info from me, feel free to PM). Here’s the high points:

Dived with 3Ps and the shop was great as always . Thanks Steve for running a “diver’s” dive shop. Don’t mean to cheerlead. Lot’s of good outfits in Coz, but in IMHO, if you find one you like run by an active diver that loves to dive, hang onto it.

Villa Escondida is my home in Coz and will remain so. Magda & David are so accommodating and their place is perfect for me. It’s such a nice mix of quiet “me time,” camaraderie around the pool with our hosts & other guests, and location (as well as Magda’s awesome breakfasts).

Perfect weather, great viz, and warm water (80’s F) made for nice dives. Great dive at Delilah with virtually no current. Could really get up into all the nooks and crannies with lots of wildlife…turtles, eels, nurse sharks, toadfish, etc. Made friends with a little 4 ft. reef shark on Columbia Deep. I had slid on the opposite side of one of the pinnacles from the rest of the group (not in new or basic divers so no flame please :gas:) and saw him/her. I lightly tapped my tank with a clip for any other divers, if they were around, and the little guy turned and came right over to me. We circled each other for a few minutes and he swam off. Nice encounter. Only not so great moment on another Columbia deep dive. About 2/3 through the dive, two cattle boat vomited a hoard of flailing divers on top of us :banghead:. We made like “sharks” (and the rest of the wildlife) and quickly crossed over to another shelf and continued our dive. Oh well, everybody gets to have their fun…:) Oh, BTW, Edgar found us the frogfish. It's the only one I've seen in Coz (earlier in the thread I was being sarcastic since I got to see one :eyebrow:)

Now to what really made the trip…diving with the “usual suspects.” It’s such a joy to “dive your tank” with a group of experienced, no drama divers. Adding to the fun is lunch and dinner outings with the same fun group. They know who they are and they are the real reason that while I really enjoy diving other places; I’ll keep coming back to Coz. It’s not a planned group and different faces float in and out each trip, but in May & Nov some of the group will be around and it’s pretty special. New food standouts for me this trip...Benito's (Italian) and Pescaderia San Carlos (great fish for lunch).

All in all a fun trip and if I can swing it, I’ll be back in November. Hope to see some of the “usual faces” and some new ones. :bounce::bounce::bounce: All IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
pre-TD Alberto 24-25? just passing thru enroute to a holiday weekend on the gulf coast:(
upload_2018-5-24_6-30-45.png

upload_2018-5-24_6-31-44.png
upload_2018-5-24_6-40-39.png

Last edited:
Yeah, that storm is starting to look like it's going to screw up my plans... flying into Cozumel this Saturday....

That weather report doesn't look bad. Winds look to be in the wrong direction for port closures too correct?

That weather report doesn't look bad. Winds look to be in the wrong direction for port closures too correct?

Turned out to be great weather the whole week... most nights I went to bed with 70%+ chance of thunderstorms to wake up to a beautiful day :D

Dove with Aldora for 3 days, had a good time except for the last day that was all rain. Kept expecting it to clear up, but it rained from 8am through the afternoon. Had to cancel my night dive because I just wasn't going to enjoy it. Went down to Xcalak a couple of days early and found some great weather. Finally got to dive Banco Chinchorro.

Back
Top Bottom