Mayaguana trip report, Nekton Rorqual 3/20-3/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see your points, I guess that the other liveaboards are cutting back in ways that still don't hurt my liveaboard experience. I think that it makes sense to do it that way. If a liveaboard company is having financial difficulty, I appreciate if they don't take it out on me by charging me the same amount, while not taking care of the boat, or going to cheaper dive locals that don't have as good diving. If you are loosing business due to the economy, it does not seem to make good sense that you would poop on the customers that are still using you.

Last edited:
I see your points, I guess that the other liveaboards are cutting back in ways that still don't hurt my liveaboard experience. I think that it makes sense to do it that way. I a liveaboard company is having financial difficulty, I appreciate if they don't take it out on me by charging me the same amount, while not taking care of the boat, or going to cheaper dive locals that don't have as good diving. If you are loosing business due to the economy, it does not seem to make good sense that you would poop on the customers that are still using you.

You hit it on the head.... All the folks I went on the trip with were repeat customers...now ex-customers until we read or see some big improvements.

Pretty telling that there doesn't appear to be any intention of putting the Pilot back in service. <sigh>

It seems like Nekton Diving Cruises LLC may have reached critical mass with respect to "going on the cheap" versus loyal return customers. Go to the well too many times (with respect to screwing over the customers, and not reinvesting funds into your operation) and it will come back to bite you. I hope that company sees the light, and puts some money back into their boat/boats. Or I hope they go totaly belly up, and a new operator fills the niche for divers who want a stable dive platform that is comfortable. The Nekton folks like to lament that 9/11/2001 was their downfall, and that they had to cut back to survive. I see plently of other liveaboards that are full to capacity, who have recovered from any downturn from 9/11. I think Nekton overextended themselves when they put the Rorqual in the water, and it has been downhill since that time. Vacationing on a liveaboard is a luxury. It is ok to try to provide that experience at a lower price point BUT your customers will not accept being repeatedly thrown under the bus with respect to quality of the product you are providing. Thanks for reading my rant, boy that feels good to get off my chest!

911 and the introduction of the Rorqual happened at the same time (within a month). I believe in some respects you are correct. During my time on the Pilot (1995-2003) we were always booked to capacity during the summer Bahamas season (May-September), and mostly full when we did the Southern Bahamas out of Exuma and the Belize itinerary. Tips were great because of high bookings. Once the Rorqual hit the water, many of the repeat guests started going on the Rorqual because it was the "new and improved" boat (sarcasm intended). From the time the Rorqual hit the water, the Pilot's bookings dropped significantly.

911 and the introduction of the Rorqual happened at the same time (within a month). I believe in some respects you are correct. During my time on the Pilot (1995-2003) we were always booked to capacity during the summer Bahamas season (May-September), and mostly full when we did the Southern Bahamas out of Exuma and the Belize itinerary. Tips were great because of high bookings. Once the Rorqual hit the water, many of the repeat guests started going on the Rorqual because it was the "new and improved" boat (sarcasm intended). From the time the Rorqual hit the water, the Pilot's bookings dropped significantly.

Jon, you said you might be going to Mayaguana if you could get coverage for your dive op. Are you going?

I'm heartbroken, I made one of the last Cay Sal runs on the Pilot last year and I had a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom