Mayaguana trip report, Nekton Rorqual 3/20-3/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe someone will buy it and fix it up! There would be plenty of old Nekton junkies ready for a fix from a refurbished Pilot!

Jon, you said you might be going to Mayaguana if you could get coverage for your dive op. Are you going?

Unfortunately it looks like I am stuck in the shop for the better part of the rest of my life. It is hard to find good help these days.

Unfortunately it looks like I am stuck in the shop for the better part of the rest of my life. It is hard to find good help these days.

Hard to feel sorry for you being trapped in paradise!

yeah, I said several years ago that they needed to put a Nekton boat is several new locations! My suggestions:

1. up in NC during summer, like May-Oct, diving all the wrecks for long weekend trips (Fri, Sa, Sun). I bet it would do really well as the dive sites are 2+ hours off-shore which means people only get in 2 dives per day on day boats. With a liveaboard like the Nekton there, they could do the dive, sit topside and relax and eat, do another dive same site, move to a new wreck, repeat... It would be easy to do 4 dives there and with all the fantastic wrecks it would make money! There are lots of tech divers there too who would benefit from something like that.

2. another Nekton boat in Maui doing Molokini, Lanai, and some of the other areas that the day boats can't get to regularly. It would be cheaper than doing land-based dive trip there, too.

okay, that is my ideas of where they should have put the boats in order to keep making money. Where would you put your Nekton boat?

robin:D

yeah, I said several years ago that they needed to put a Nekton boat is several new locations!

at one time, they were selling "franchises" for some huge amount of money. If you're interested? :D (to my knowledge, none were sold...)

okay, that is my ideas of where they should have put the boats in order to keep making money. Where would you put your Nekton boat?

since they depart from Ft Lauderdale, I think occassionally they should do a "Keys Wreck & Reef" week. That way you can hit 5 dive sites a day in the Keys and not have to lug gear and tanks to boats every day, worry about meals, etc.

we did that a couple years ago on another liveaboard and it was nice to be able to do long dives on wrecks at your leisure. I think it's something they could sell on Nekton trips several times a year instead of going to the Bahamas. shouldn't cost anymore either since you don't have to pay Bahamian custom fees and no gulf stream crossing.

Where would you put your Nekton boat?
San Diego's Wreck Alley, somewhere between the Ruby E and the Yukon.

"It would be easy to do 4 dives" That would be somewhat difficult as most NC off shore dives are rather deep. Going on week long trips on the Olympus years ago Capt. George always limited to two day dives and one night dive.

at one time, they were selling "franchises" for some huge amount of money. If you're interested? :D (to my knowledge, none were sold...)

since they depart from Ft Lauderdale, I think occassionally they should do a "Keys Wreck & Reef" week. That way you can hit 5 dive sites a day in the Keys and not have to lug gear and tanks to boats every day, worry about meals, etc.

we did that a couple years ago on another liveaboard and it was nice to be able to do long dives on wrecks at your leisure. I think it's something they could sell on Nekton trips several times a year instead of going to the Bahamas. shouldn't cost anymore either since you don't have to pay Bahamian custom fees and no gulf stream crossing.

no way! There was another liveaboard boat that was for sale a couple of years ago that we actually thought twice about... but at this time in our lives, we couldn't afford the lifestyle. It was very tempting idea though... Running the numbers on costs, Ron getting his capt's license, whether we would have to hire a DM, how many days out at sea vs one of us staying back on land to do reservations, financial stuff for boat, .... it just didn't seem like something we would do right now. I would rather buy the boat and live on it myself, dive when I wanted. :D

Also, I think part of the problem with the Nekton is that they are based out of South Florida. There are too many other dive boats, dive operations in the area and the reefs aren't the healthiest to begin with. Ditto the Keys.

I would put one in Belize, one in Caymans, and one going to the cay Sal out of Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom