Maybe DEMA should thumb their upcoming Dive Fest in Ft Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys, I've had a few people point me to this thread, and I appreciate everyone that wanted to make me aware. For those that don't know, I put on "The Blue Wild" dive show at the Ft. Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center. I started a separate thread on it, as I don't want to cause confusion here.

For those that are wondering where I stand, I will admit that it's a bit intimidating to be in the same city, same venue, and almost same time of year as the new "DEMA consumer show". On the other hand, I feel confident that we've developed a loyal following for The Blue Wild, and it's the enthusiam of the crowd that keeps us going (into our 6th year now). I believe the good energy at this Expo is due to some of the unique things we have to offer. We strive to make it a good experience for everyone....exhibitors and attendees alike. For the exhibitors, we keep it simple and low cost, without all the hidden costs that can creep up at Convention Centers. For the attendees, we offer not only an impressive array of exhibitors, but a world class collection of marine artists, speakers with more interesting topics than the norm, practical workshops, an exicting raffle with proceeds to charity, etc. We're working on a Happy Hour where the crowd can mingle with celebrities and a juried photography/videography contest.

In other words, we intend to have as much fun as ever and hope you'll join us! Good luck to all.

Hey Guys, I've had a few people point me to this thread, and I appreciate everyone that wanted to make me aware. For those that don't know, I put on "The Blue Wild" dive show at the Ft. Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center. I started a separate thread on it, as I don't want to cause confusion here.

Threads she's talking about

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shows-events/422070-announcing-blue-wild-feb-23-24-2013-a.html

Another recent thread about that show also...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shows-events/419409-blue-wild-fort-lauderdale-fl.html

In other words, we intend to have as much fun as ever and hope you'll join us! Good luck to all.
Count me IN!!! :D

As an avid diver and consumer who does not work in the dive industry, I thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding this ever-so-controversial DEMA show that would be open to consumers. When I first heard of the possibility of a consumer dive show (or adventure show that includes scuba) I got excited and made a point to follow up on the date, so I could possibly attend. As a consumer, I think it would be great to see the latest and greatest from all of the manufacturers in addition to meeting local dive operators and get information on where they go and their pricing. If such a show exists, where I would be able to make a few purchases and possibly book a day trip or two with a few dive operators, I would most likely attend.

When I heard that a few individuals in the dive industry were against DEMA putting on such a show, I thought it was pretty crazy, and I still do, even after reading a number of threads on this post. For those concerned about the manufacturers cannibalizing the local dive retailers, would one weekend per year of sales at an expo show be any worse than brand name stores at an outlet mall competing with with the retail stores selling the same brands down the street? Or even eBay? Even if a consumer doesn't make any purchases at the show, wouldn't a brand want to have the opportunity to show their product directly to the consumer, so they could purchase it from a retailer later on? "Sure Sir, we understand if you want to think about it before buying this $500 BC. However if and when you decide to, here is a list of retailers in your area that carry our products. If they do not have it in stock, they can order it and we'll ship it to them ASAP." With the exception of a large chain retailer such as Diver's Direct, most dive shops are very small and have very little selection and more often than not, only specific brands. Such a show would allow cosumers to see the wide array of products available and would also give manufacturers the ability to direct consumers to their retailers.

As far as the politics of DEMA go, I don't care to get involved in them, however if members are upset with DEMA, I suggest they not join the organization and spend their membership fees on ways they see better fit to promote their business.

In any event, I certainly hope DEMA is able to put on a show for consumers. I have heard great things about the annual DEMA shows in Orlando and Vegas, however I am unable to attend as I do not work in the dive industry. For those manufacturers that choose not to attend the consumer show out of protest, this is a free market economy that is their choice. However, they will certainly lose out on the business of myself and others by not attending. As far as I'm concerned, the more manufacturers and dive operators that attend, the better, and the bigger the crowd of spending consumers will attend.

As an avid diver and consumer who does not work in the dive industry, I thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding this ever-so-controversial DEMA show that would be open to consumers. When I first heard of the possibility of a consumer dive show (or adventure show that includes scuba) I got excited and made a point to follow up on the date, so I could possibly attend. As a consumer, I think it would be great to see the latest and greatest from all of the manufacturers in addition to meeting local dive operators and get information on where they go and their pricing. If such a show exists, where I would be able to make a few purchases and possibly book a day trip or two with a few dive operators, I would most likely attend.

When I heard that a few individuals in the dive industry were against DEMA putting on such a show, I thought it was pretty crazy, and I still do, even after reading a number of threads on this post. For those concerned about the manufacturers cannibalizing the local dive retailers, would one weekend per year of sales at an expo show be any worse than brand name stores at an outlet mall competing with with the retail stores selling the same brands down the street? Or even eBay? Even if a consumer doesn't make any purchases at the show, wouldn't a brand want to have the opportunity to show their product directly to the consumer, so they could purchase it from a retailer later on? "Sure Sir, we understand if you want to think about it before buying this $500 BC. However if and when you decide to, here is a list of retailers in your area that carry our products. If they do not have it in stock, they can order it and we'll ship it to them ASAP." With the exception of a large chain retailer such as Diver's Direct, most dive shops are very small and have very little selection and more often than not, only specific brands. Such a show would allow cosumers to see the wide array of products available and would also give manufacturers the ability to direct consumers to their retailers.

As far as the politics of DEMA go, I don't care to get involved in them, however if members are upset with DEMA, I suggest they not join the organization and spend their membership fees on ways they see better fit to promote their business.

In any event, I certainly hope DEMA is able to put on a show for consumers. I have heard great things about the annual DEMA shows in Orlando and Vegas, however I am unable to attend as I do not work in the dive industry. For those manufacturers that choose not to attend the consumer show out of protest, this is a free market economy that is their choice. However, they will certainly lose out on the business of myself and others by not attending. As far as I'm concerned, the more manufacturers and dive operators that attend, the better, and the bigger the crowd of spending consumers will attend.

You do realize that Consumer dive shows like this already exist, right? They're actually doing quite well, far better than DEMA's annual show. DEMA isn't proposing anything new, they simply want the additional revenue stream which also happens to be in direct conflict with their stated reason for existing at all. As a non-dive-professional (I was a Divemaster, but being a DM in Indiana hardly counts!), I fully support the call to boycott DEMA's misguided foray.

It should be pointed out (again) that there IS a dive show happening just two months prior to this in the same location.

To the best of my knowledge, the two biggest shows are in Chicago in February and Jersey March. Most divers in FL (where I live, and I'm guessing the state that has one of the highest concentrations of active divers) probably don't care to spend the time or the money to travel to either of those two places, especially at those times of the years. I have never been to the Blue Wild, and I am certainly not bashing it as I'm sure it's a great show, but when I look over the list of manufacturers that attend the Blue Wild, it isn't nearly as extensive as the list that attends the DEMA show. If there's already a dive show in the area, then what's the problem with having another one? Shouldn't an industry that has taken a beating over the past several years, welcome the opportunity to be promoted and get more consumers enaged?

Per the DEMA website: Mission Statement: To promote sustainable growth in safe recreational diving and snorkeling while protecting the underwater environment.

I'd say holding a dive show that is open to the public, in a large city of a state that is a diving hotbed, promotes growth in the industry. If I were a local retailer, I would welcome the opportunity to get more local people involved in diving as new divers make many return trips to dive shops to spend a fortune on dive gear. If I were a manufacturer, I would welcome the opportunity to show the end consumer, first hand, all of the products that my company produces; this is not an opportunity that consumers have in most dive shops.

But, like I said, this is a free market economy and if you are in the dive industry, you have the option to attend such a show. If you choose not to, simply because you are trying to protest DEMA or because you are trying to corner the market with your particular store or goods......lemme know how that works out for ya!

Interesting the passion this issue elicits. ehoffman81 has been a member of SB for two years, and this thread is the first one in which they have posted.

In any industry, the opportunity for a consumer to attend a normally "trade-only" event is exciting - a chance to see behind the curtain. I think this is the appeal of consumer admission at a DEMA show.

The Ft. Lauderdale Dive Fest is NOT a DEMA "trade-only" event, and from the initial public announcements from a few manufacturers, it appears it will not have the same exhibits/exhibitors as DEMA shows of the past. The legitimate question of whether the Dive Fest is within DEMA's bylaws remains unanswered - although the opinion that it is outside of DEMA's bylaws has been expressed.

Given that Blue Wild is held in the same venue, targeting the same consumers as Dive Fest, why would anyone expect the exhibitors to be significantly different?

If there's already a dive show in the area, then what's the problem with having another one?
Out of courtesy, they should be 4-6 months apart. It's hard to get manufacturers to do ONE show in the same state per year, much less two in the same city. Then there's the question about where do they draw the line in competing with their members? Should I expect a scuba forum to pop up from DEMA, because that WOULD promote diving. Maybe they should start a Dive Shop in Ft Lauderdale which would also promote diving. Why can't DEMA get behind a show that already exists and help to make it BIGGER? You keep suggesting that this is a free market economy, and you're right. If DEMA is starting to promote consumer Dive Shows, I can imagine that the consumer Dive Shows will feel obliged to have their own trade show.

BTW, for not being "in the industry", you have a good command of insider knowledge. :wink:

If you choose not to, simply because you are trying to protest DEMA !

how about because we are supporting a local show already? How about because we feel that DEMA is competing with it's members? IMHO, this has NOTHING to do with DEMA working to help the dive industry by running a show. It's a money grab and more so to my mind (and many others in the dive industry) the entire "Dive Festival" stinks to high heaven. On the one hand when announced we have the Executive director of DEMA telling people that one particular then BOD member was not involved because of conflict of interest, on the other I have had it reported to me by people I trust that the ex BOD member has been telling stakeholders what a great deal he got for DEMA. Heck, there's even a family connection with the ex board member and the whole Lauderdale aspect of this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom