maybe this just isn't for me? (sorta long, sorry)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm not even sure why I'm posting this. I've lurked a lot here and read a lot of good opinions and advice here, and I guess I'm looking for some direction considering my situation.

I started taking SCUBA lessons a few weeks ago. It's the second to last week of class, 3 classes and pool sessions left, and we are scheduled to do our first OW dives this weekend.

From the start I really wasn't sure whether diving was "for me", but thought I would give it the good ol' college try. I have no problems with the classroom stuff, but the pool sessions have been iffy all along. I'm not the most comfortable person in the water; it just isn't natural to me at all. I struggle with (but can manage to do with concentration) basic skills like mask clearing. The idea of having the air available to me being restricted in any way or having my air passages blocked (water in nose, etc) really, really bothers me. I get a little panicked each time I have to prepare myself to do the drills underwater. But I've managed myself so far. Of course, all in a nice warm, safe, relatively shallow pool -- I am well aware of this.

Last class, I was chugging along pretty well in the pool session, I thought. Doing all the drills, although as per usual, lots of trouble with bouyancy. Frustrating but I can deal with that. Without much warning, I ran out of air in my tank. I immediately freaked out. I did have the wherewithal to signal to my instructor that I was OOA (completely ignoring my buddy) but became like a caged animal and just had to get the hell out of there; I rejected the air that was offered to me, and bolted to the surface. Once I got back to the shallow end and realized what had happened, I started sobbing. I just wanted to run from the class and never come back. In my head over and over I was saying, "that's it. I'm done with this."

I am still very concerned about the absolute terror I felt knowing there was no air in my tank -- and knowing that I felt so terrified in such a supposedly easy, comfortable, safe environment. I can't imagine reacting any more reasonably in the cold, murky ocean. In fact, I'm afraid I now won't get in the cold, murky ocean. I'm also afraid of trusting my equipment. I was sure I had recently (though I really don't know "how" recently -- I wasn't wearing a watch and don't have any clue about my average air consumption at this point) checked my guage, and was OK. And now I think, why the heck would I ever choose to put myself in any position where running out of air would be even a possibility -- which to me means, why the heck would I ever SCUBA dive? I don't think I'm ready for OW dives. I don't feel comfortable enough. But will I ever? I am certainly not comfortable with being responsible for a buddy in an emergency situation. I can't even handle myself properly, as I exhibited quite clearly in this situation.

I'm not sure what I'm asking here. I guess I'm concerned that I am overly anxious, that I'm more apprehensive than most newbies at this, and that I'm just not cut out for it. Is there a line between "normal" fear, and something more that should be a sign that you're just not ready for SCUBA?

What makes this all worse for me is I feel like I have to make some quit/continue decision *now*...due to the timing of the OW dives. I just don't know what to do.

SCUBA is supposed to be fun, I thought. It just doesn't feel that way for me. Not now.
:confused:

I stress to all my buddies and all my students - Anyone can call a dive at any time and for any reason.

If you don't feel ready for your dives, don't go.

Diving isn't for everyone and tennis might be your sport. OTOH, you might just need more time in the pool building your confidence.

Where do you live? If you're interested, I might be able to locate a nearby instructor with patience and the skills to actually teach you to have confidence in yourself.

Keep a better eye on your gauges and practice sharing air. If you are better prepared you will be better able to deal with an OOA situation if it happens (107 dives and I have never breathed a tank dry but still regularly practice sharing air on safety stop). Then dive in the Caribbean where the water is neither cold nor murky. I dove Columbia Deep this morning in Cozumel. The water temp was 82 F and the visibility was 100 feet plus. Don't give up on yourself!! You can do it. If after several more tries you are still not comfortable you can leave it behind. But don't give up before you are sure it is not for you.

Ok, 1st off, good for you for having the guts to come right out and say your concerens. Have you told this to the instructor? If they are any good, they will understand. They SHOULD be able to talk to you about this and reassure you, or if you decide to bail on the OW dives, should make you feel that you are making the right choice - like I’m never going to jump out of an airplane again…it wasn’t my thing. They should also offer to have you come to the next classes pool session before going to the ocean if you want, just to help you get more comfortable.
One of the most important things you can do as a diver is to know your limits, and know that you can ALWAYS call the dive if you don’t feel right about it-NO QUESTIONS ASKED! I’ve bailed on dives and my buddy, although bummed, understands. I’ve had people bail on me, and I never say a word. There are always going to me other days to dive.
Second. Uneasy beginners, if they get over it, usually make the best new divers – for me anyway. I helped with a class that had a girl that just didn’t think she could do it. She wanted to dive, but had always thought of herself as the girly-girl. I told her that she didn’t have to do this if she wasn’t up for it, but also I told her that I’d be right there, never more than arms reach away from her. She was super nervous, held my had the entire time, almost broke my fingers on the 1st descent. She had problems equalizing and on her own, gave the signal, and went back up a bit and re-tried until she was ok. Her mask also leaked like crazy so we had to stop every few minutes and clear. When she did the mask clearing for the instructor, I kept both hands on her shoulders so she wouldn’t bolt, but more importantly, so she knew I was right there with her. She has so many problems with it leaking, she aced it the first time. By the end of the last dive, I was handing her starfish so that she’d let go of me. It worked and although she was still nervous, she didn’t NEED to hold onto me the whole time. The funny thing is, she really was a fish, she just didn’t trust herself enough. She was spot-on for buoyancy and hand signals.
At the end, when the instructor was filling out the temp cards, he asked her if she thought she passed. She said “I hope so. I need a lot of practice, but I really liked it and want to try it again, we saw some really neat things out there.” He started to laugh and said something like yeah, you do, I told you you’d dig it, and since you realize that, you get the blue card. I told her that anytime she wanted to go, let me know, she can tag along with me and my friends anytime.

The first thing you should do is talk to your instructor and explain your concerns. More time in the pool will give you a chance to gain more confidence in your abilities - you were able to perform the skills and that's a huge step in the right direction, now you just need more practice to get comfortable with those skills. You also will gain confidence in your equipment as well. Bouyancy will come with time and practice.

Another thing - you can do your OW dives any time you want, it is not generally required that you do those dives immediately after your class. Spend more time in the pool with the instructor (some will let you be in the pool with subsequent classes) and do your OW when you feel comfortable.

Good luck!

with the others, stick with it. Maybe you need another instructor or just more time? Maybe some swimming lessons to help you be more comfortable in the water? Maybe one on one instruction would be best?

You stated your concerns very clearly-- I think that would help you work through this. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, and of course feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I think you should stick with it.

Talk to your Instructor and express your concerns. He should be able to offer you some good advice to help you get back in the game.

Confidence in the water comes from sound dive planning, gas management and PRACTICE. Work on the basic skills until you get them down perfect. Practice...then go practice some more.

If need be, put checkout dives off until you have a bit more time to practice and get comfortable in the water. Any good Instructor will work with you until you have the hang of it.

Seriously, don't quit...you will regret it if you did and will always wonder if you could have done it with a bit more practice.

Dive Safe

I'll say it..... diving isn't for everyone. It's been said before and it will be said again. This can be a dangerous sport if it's not taken seriously and if the prospective diver doesn't have the confidence to perform the necessary skills to keep it safe.

That said, I would definitely postpone your open water dives until you are able to do the skills effortlessly in the pool. I've been comfortable in the water my whole life, but the person I did my open water training with was not as fortunate. He had to spend a little more time working on all the skills required to become comfortable and one day it all just kind of clicked.

If you think that you want to continue, and by no means do I think you should give up yet, I would concentrate on being comfortable in the pool. During my confined water classes we spent time just hanging out in the pool, shooting torpedos at each other and just playing around. That in addition to doing the skills ad nauseum made the whole class comfortable with the gear, the skills, and how to just relax in the water.

You can do it, but know when you're ready to move to the next step, the open water phase. Don't let anyone rush you to finish, you won't be happy even if you get through it. When you're comfortable in the water and comfortable with the skills, then you'll be able to relax and enjoy the dive!!

Good luck to you!!

Rachel

It always sounds strange to me when someone is taking SCUBA and lacks water skills. I think you should first get familiar with water. Swim, snorkel, dive, play, swim some more .... Try to feel good while in water. I have a friend who takes part in white water kayaking and he says: "I have no fear of water. Water didn't hurt anyone. Rocks did. Lack of air did. But water - no". I know this is not completely true, but it serves as a guideline.
Build up your water skills. They are essential to have fun while on SCUBA. If you know that you can spend a minute or two without air, than your buddy has enough time to swim to you even from as far as 50m (150 ft) (and I don't think that it is a good idea to be that far apart).

SUBA is supposed to be fun, but it takes some time and some skill for it to become fun.

Enjoy, that's the key!

nooneyouknow_
my dear friend this is a very hard decission for you to make , but hear is some comforting advice, first allmost all students have fear , anixiety , and to be honest lack of skills at first , I would go to the instructor ask him to aisist you some more with more pool time maybe one on one and work at it , this is like driving a car at first its not that easy but as you proactice and practice the easier it does get after while becomed second nature .
as some others stated most scared to death diver that over come it become the better divers as they are more self concious and aware of what going on !!
I guess best part of your post you know how you feel and are willing to admit it !!!!!!!!!
some try to hide how they feel and then later on it hits them hard most instructors will work with you , if nothing else ask and see if you can keep practicing and do skills ect with next class .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom