maybe this just isn't for me? (sorta long, sorry)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're getting lots of good advice here and I commend you for searching out people to talk to about your fears and concerns.

I was only certified last September so the experience is fairly fresh in my mind. I'll tell you...I was in a class with two guys and myself. They both panicked, so don't fell you are alone. The feelings you have are natural and do go away with practice and taking it slow as others have said.

My concern is this part...
nooneyouknow_ once bubbled...
Without much warning, I ran out of air in my tank. I immediately freaked out. I did have the wherewithal to signal to my instructor that I was OOA (completely ignoring my buddy) but became like a caged animal and just had to get the hell out of there; I rejected the air that was offered to me, and bolted to the surface. Once I got back to the shallow end and realized what had happened, I started sobbing. I just wanted to run from the class and never come back. In my head over and over I was saying, "that's it. I'm done with this."

My concern is about your instuctor and the divemasters you were with, not you. Just for them to allow this to happen in the first place says allot to me. They should have been watching you closer than that and planned the 'dive' better. You must have been in the pool for quite a while to drain a tank! Being able to deal with an OOA situation is vital but skills are usually introduced in a more gradual way than that. Most people with the experience level you have would have reacted the same way. You haven't had time to practice the skills and become comfortable with them. This shouldn't have happened.

I personally would talk to my instructor about it, he/she should give you some extra pool sessions which would help allot. My instuctor spent allot of extra time with the peolpe who needed it. If they don't, I would find a new one. Most definately.

All good advices! Remember the first and foremost reasons we're diving is to have fun.

Of course, some people have fun going to military boot camps while some others are happy turning on the TV to watch "Friends".

I think any great hobby/sport requires some form of sacrifice. If you like skiing, well, it's hard to learn, it takes time, and carrying the gear or waiting in line is not fun. But some find the rush you get going down the slopes worth all the troubles. Some others, well, just don't.

Diving is somewhat similar (especially when it comes to carrying your gear!). If you have no interest exploring the big blue, if you don't enjoy the amazing feeling of being weightless, maybe diving is not for you. OTOH, if all you need is a little more practice, don't give up!

When I started, I wasn't too comfortable on the surface. I experienced panic attacks. This was obviously a major problem. With time and practice, I worked it out. And to me, it was worth it. Diving is one of the more rewarding activities I know.

I am curious to know why you want to dive in the first place. Is it a desire to explore the underwater world or is someone pressuring you because they want to do it? Because if it is for the right reasons stick with it. Even in the murky Atlantic it is an excellent experience.

We evolved to breath air, we don't have gills so we are out of our element and of course it may take some getting used to, to go against nature... That's what the classes are for. You experienced one of the worse things that can happen and you didn't react properly but that is why you practice in the pool. You didn't state the circumstances as to why you ran out of air, faulty equipment, lack of attention to gauges? Either way, you can evaluate your reaction and be prepared to handle it correctly next time. I am newly certified myself. The first couple dives I was scared, my buddies were experienced and knew my apprehension, but the more I dive the more confident I become.

Diving isn't for everyone, 2 students left the classes because they just weren't comfortable and didn't have the desire to pursue, but that is ok too. But apprehension is a natural response to leaving your normal environment. Yeah, some people are "fish" but just because you may be new to the water, doesn't mean you won't grown fins (mine are pink).

Weigh the pros and cons, decide if your desire to dive will get you past your fears, once more comfortable the experience will be well worth it, as well as the sense of accomplishment!

Hi. One of the things which struck me from your post was that you said you weren't the most comfortable person in water. To me, that is one of the key things that you have to be when you take up diving. When I was doing my certification, my husband friend did it with me but didn't pursue the open water dives because he just wasn't that comfortable with it. O, on the other hand, have always been comfortable in water and had always wanted to dive. He is not comfortable and had never thought about it. Someone else asked why you want to dive and that might be interesting to ask yourself. You have recognised that there is a difference between normal anxiety and actually not being cut out for diving. Look inside yourself and you'll know what it is you're feeling.

You don't have to do the OW dives right now - do more in the pool and see if you become more comfortable. Much though I am a bit of a fish, after the first half of my pool work, I had doubts about carrying on. But. boy, am I glad I did now. And on my first few OW dives, I was anxious. But there is a difference between that and really feeling it isn;t for you.

Take care and keep us posted.

I think you should trust your instinct and 1. get more pool time/underwater time before doing your checkout or if you really hate being underwater 2. don't finish the checkout, you'll be out a couple hundred bucks, oh well.

Someone posted before that "where were the instructors when you were bolting to the surface". I'm wondering the same, because if you had done that in the open ocean you would most likely be dead or badly injured. I've just read enough stories about crappy divemasters, etc....on some of these dive trips that people go on that I've come to believe that you'd better be able to take care of your own emergencies, first and foremost, and if your don't ever get comfortable enough in the water you won't be able to do that.

I don't have a lot of diving experience, btw, but it seems like there are enough scary dive stories out there that you want to err on the side of caution.

:mean:

Because of a near drowning incident when I was younger, I developed a tremendous fear of the water. Before that I was a fish and fearless. Guess it was nature trying to tell me to wise up. But I still loved the water and I was determined to get back into it.

I started swimming and free diving (in shallow water in a pool) to get comfortable. Then I began to snorkle and free dive (in shallow water off the beach), gradually increasing the depth as I gained confidence. The entire time I never forgot my accident, but I was determined to regain my comfort in the water.

When I tried scuba for the first time, I was really nervous. However, I was amazed at what I experienced. I decided that would take the same step by step process to gain confidence. I continually practiced my skills (in shallow water at first) to gain confidence.

I was certified 2 years ago and passed my OW dives with flying colours. I still practice my skills today at various points in the dive. I also carry the ghost of my accident with me, but now it's a reminder to remember respect for the environment. If you really love diving, I know you can do it. Anyone can if I did.

Best of luck

Enjoy the ride

One might say the same about driving a car, but going into it you have to be responsible for educating yourself, learning the skills that can aid you in emergencies.

To me diving offers a sense of adventure, sure there is risk, but also thrill. If I quit doing something every time there was an element of risk, I wouldn't have learned to ride my bicycle. Come on... diving does have danger, but once you learn skills, overcome your fear, know your equipment, you realized that it is a relatively safe activity. Scary dive stories are generally from people who either take unnessary risks, dive outside their skill level or genuine accidents. An element of fear can be a good thing, it keeps your mind sharp and you remain focused, but if you are fearful to the point of paralysis, then you aren't ready, but don't give up... diving is really fun once you gain confidence in yourself!

wednesday once bubbled...

I don't have a lot of diving experience, btw, but it seems like there are enough scary dive stories out there that you want to err on the side of caution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom