Mazatlan Diving?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be going to Mazatlan next month for a couple of weeks. We inherited a time share so it is an easy vacation to take, and I have done a number of dive trips this year so it is my partners turn to choose the spot and diving is not anywhere near the top of the list for activities:D .

Have searched the board and it would seem that the local diving near the city is marginal. Anyone have a thought re how to get in some interesting diving nearby?

I'll be down there in a week or so looking at a couple development projects, and I'll be checking into the local diving when I'm not tied up with banks, government officials, and lawyers. I'll post a report on my findings when I get back. PM me if you don't see something by the end of January.

Mazatlan has an active night life and some decent clubs--or so I hear.

Wow, "Mazatlan diving," ... that's another one I can add to my list of oxymorons. I'll put it with "airline food" and "jumbo shrimp." Seriously, though, I've never been able to find any diving there. Good luck, maybe you will be able to start something.

Was there a couple of years ago, but diving was not a priority so didn't pay much attention. If it was obvious I would go, but didn't search. My impression at that time was that it was pretty marginal, so didn't bother. Now I am a little more involved with diving so was hoping that there was something interesting nearby that I missed. If there is I can't find it on the net. Thanks for the responses.

From the web:

Along Mazatlan’s coast you’ll find calm and clear waters in which you can scuba dive at a depth of 10 meters (33 feet), allowing you a closer look at some of the diverse marine wildlife. You can also search for the remains of sunken ships off the shores of Las Tres Islas.

Las Tres Islas. Located 3 km (2 mi) west of Mazatlan. An Important symbol of Mazatlan, this group of islands consists of Pajaros, Venados and Lobos. These three islands have calm and crystalline waters, making them an excellent spot for scuba diving. The impressive underwater scenery and beautiful marine wildlife is captivating.

Playa Norte. This beach stretches from the edge of the city to the Zona Dorada, about 60 km (37 mi) west of downtown Mazatlan. This beach forms part of the port’s main bay and it stretches more than 16 km (10 mi). The southern portion of the beach has moderate waves and ideal conditions for swimming or scuba diving; it’s a great spot for observing a wide variety of species.

Across the Sea of Cortez, in Mazatlan, diving is relatively unexploited, but there are excellent diving services at Puerto Vallarta. A favorite site is Los Arcos, a marine refuge. Just outside the bay are the Marieta Islands, with a rocky ocean bottom and larger fish.

The sandy sea bottoms near Ixtapa contain an immense variety of marine life. More than 25 diving sites have been located, including Los Morros del Potosi and La Caleta del Ensueño. Guides are recommended as sharks are not uncommon.

Offshore areas of Isla de Venandos and Isla de los Chivos provide a spectacular display of thousands of brightly colored fish. Some unusual rock formations lie just offshore and make for an interesting afternoon of undersea exploration. Most places that offer water sport equipment can also provide scuba diving and snorkeling equipment as well as excursions.

I got back from Mazatlan last night. Although I took my equipment down, I didn't get into the the water. I had an odd feeling that I really shouldn't try to push a couple dives into a 48 hour trip even though I'd be within DAN's guidelines on flying after diving.

I found a couple dive shops in the phone book, but one had a reference to rescue work, so I really wondered about it. There are apparently a couple of PADI operators down there, but they work primarily through the resorts on request. When I asked the concierge about diving tours, she told me that they could call an instructor who would provide equipment and take me out. Cost was $60 a head, two person minimum. I was told that I could catch a boat at El Cid (a resort) out to Deer Island (just offshore) and could dive to around 30 feet. However, that would be a "bring your own kit" deal.

I also talked to a couple of locals about the diving. We were fortunate that one of the real estate brokers we're dealing with is an avid surfer, so he knows about the waters in the area. He told me that diving was really hit-and-miss. He said that the water around Mazatlan is fairly shallow out to about 22 miles offshore, where it drops off into blue water. That's where they do the marlin and and other sportfishing. He said that the bottom composition near the shore is such that it gets blown out very easily. He said that Monday (which was a little overcast with a very slight breeze) was not a divable day, and that the slightest bit of current or breeze trashes visibility. Therefore, it's extremely difficult for people to plan dives ahead of time--he said divers pretty much look at the weather in the morning and make a decision to dive or pass. His opinion was that Mazatlan is definitely not a diving destination, especially since Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta offer much better conditions.

On the other hand, the snorkeling is supposed to be good. I think the final consensus is to avoid Mazatlan if you're going for the diving. Mazatlan is a charming city that is extremely tourist friendly. If you want a place to hang out for a week and decompress, it's perfect. And it has a good night life. Of course, since there's water, you can dive, but it ain't Bonaire.

Thanks AzAtty - that was pretty much the impression I had managed to get. You can dive, but bring very low expectations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom