MC wreck divers get together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's going to be a late one friday night for me so I should be there around 12-12:30.
I'm a wetsuit diver so dropping down past the thermocline is not desirable to me. I really like diving on the rock crusher and the back wall, how about you...what do you like to dive out there? 4 dives sounds good to me.

jason

bubble blower:
It's going to be a late one friday night for me so I should be there around 12-12:30.
I'm a wetsuit diver so dropping down past the thermocline is not desirable to me. I really like diving on the rock crusher and the back wall, how about you...what do you like to dive out there? 4 dives sounds good to me.

jason

I made the mistake of staying out all night the last time I dove out there and I'm not doing it again. I could only do 2 dives off of 3 1/2 hours of sleep.

I haven't been down in the rock crusher yet, just sort of peeked in. Have you been in the crusher since the vis has been so bad? We usually go around the left side of the quarry and through the middle toward the right side of the quarry. I have an underwater map somewhere that I hope I can find before Saturday. If you don't have one I'll get you a copy.

How deep have you been in the quarry? What's on the back wall?

The rock crusher is just neat because it was left from the old mining days. I did a dive on it one year on New Years Eve. The vis was unbelievable. You could see from one side of the crusher all the way to the other side...from underneath! I think you may be diving on a part of the wall I'm talking about. We'll see Saturday!
I have one of the maps they pass out there.
Right now they are calling for partly cloudy 77° and 10% chance of rain. Looking good!

jason

medic13:
hey all before the end of OCT lets all try to get together either ocean dive or maybe even quarry dive , what you all think !!!!!
Just got back from diving the second and third with Discovery.The vis was 30 or 40 on the Papoose,same on the Schurz and about 20-30 on the Spar. 79 on th bottom with 74 on top.Found this looking for another trip on the Olympus web site.

"If you’re looking to recover some artifacts and have the opportunity to dive on a virgin ship wreck, join Capt. George aboard the Olympus to try out our new sonar equipment in the hunt for discovering some of the many sunken ship wrecks along our coastline" This is the same guy that looked for and found the U-352.No matter what we do or don't fine it will be fun.

"Wreck Hunt:Sat Nov 6th,2004:$125.00 per diver,extended day,extended day schedule"
Last year I went out on the Olympus the first Sat in Nov to the Lobster wreck .We had 100 ft vis and 80 deg on the botton.I do know that the weather is a crap shoot but I signed up.There were spots open when I booked.
Tom

Hi folks,

Sorry I've been out of touch, but the move from Florida took longer than expected. I'm in Charlotte now, but won't be able to make this weekend. Anybody up for some weekday diving in one of the quarries? (I'm trying to get wet as often as possible while the weather holds!)

I'm going to Lake Norman on Thursday or Friday for some shallow/low viz practice and would welcome the company. I'll be exploring an area near Troutman, where my cousin owns a lake place. I always thought it would be nice to survey the bottom of the area where we swim. Viz is usually around 10' but can degrade pretty quickly. It's good for training though. (Think Cooper River or Venice, FL.) Depths max out at around 20-25'.

As far as a Florida Springs trip goes, I'm definitely on. I've dived Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Rainbow River, Crystal River/King's Spring and Homosassa River and will be glad to offer a little insider insight. Viz is usually great, temps are a constant 72 degrees year-round, and the diving is very nice. I've been planning to try Devil's Den and Blue Springs, and have heard good things about Manatee and Alexander.

I think I'll be in the RTP/Raleigh area next week. (I love doing business trips with my dive gear - shed the suit for a wetsuit - the whole James Bond travel package!) If anybody's interested in playing hookie one afternoon and either getting wet or sharing a pint, PM me and we'll see if we can get together.

Hope to see you guys soon,
Grier

suthnbelle:
I made the mistake of staying out all night the last time I dove out there and I'm not doing it again. I could only do 2 dives off of 3 1/2 hours of sleep.

I'm pretty ignorant of the area. Obviously there's potential for night life. Any suggestions?

Also, do you know anything about accomodations nearby? I can camp if need be, but I'm just as soon grab a hotel/hot shower/coffee source...

And finally - are you guys wet or dry suit divers? I have a 6/7mil suit that works well up to low 60's, then it gets a bit nippy.

Thanks in advance,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
I'm pretty ignorant of the area. Obviously there's potential for night life. Any suggestions?

Also, do you know anything about accomodations nearby? I can camp if need be, but I'm just as soon grab a hotel/hot shower/coffee source...

And finally - are you guys wet or dry suit divers? I have a 6/7mil suit that works well up to low 60's, then it gets a bit nippy.

Thanks in advance,
Grier

Let me know where you'll be working in Raleigh and I'll PM you some info regarding hotels, nightlife, and fabulous restaurants.

I dive the Rolesville Quarry with my 7mil Akona one piece. The temp has been in the low 70s if I'm remembering correctly from three weeks ago. I chill very easily so that is the need for the 7mil. I need to start saving for a drysuit because I'd love to dive year round.

I was at the quarry this past sunday helping a friend work on his map for divemaster. Water temp was 75 degrees. I dive in a 3mm and just did start to get a little cool on the 3rd (last) dive (I was pretty much stationary for 47 minutes so that aided I'm sure). I'm also getting ready to take a drysuit course...I'm to old to dive the winter in a wetsuit anymore.

jason

Hey is it alright if I join you guys this weekend? I'd like to get a few more dives in before it gets too cold.

Also for those that are interested, I posted a thread about a trip to the springs this winter...got a few people that are going already and would love more. It's for a cavern course....

Come on Dale. This is a first time event for us all here. It should be fun. I'm looking forward to it.

jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom