MDX RX100M/2 Housing Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought the Sea & Sea housing for my Sony RX100 and a YD-D1 strobe. I want to be able to get this neutral bouyant. It would seem to me that the bouyancy requirements would be fairly standard. Is this information published someplace? If so I have been able to find it.

Does anybody have any idea where to start? Yes, I know you can hang it from a scale to determine it's weight. Seems like a bit of work that doesn't really need to be done. Any ideas of where to start?

Buoyancy will vary depending on ports and lenses. I don't know of any buoyancy guide. Take it diving, let go. If it rises, have a variety of small weights along. If it sinks, you'll need to add buoyancy floats. Personally, I don't care much about perfect neutrality. My rig is a stone, even with two buoyancy arms and a float on the focus light. OTOH, if I put my fisheye dome and 17mm extender on, it not only floats but flips port upward as well. That drove me crazy. Not an issue lately since I've gone to a smaller dome, but the solution was to be stick-on wheel weights on the shade ring of the dome. There is no easy answer except if you find someone with the exact same set-up you have.

Thanks,
There is a wide angle lens that I could get but I don't have that right now.
I finally looked hard enough and the info is available.

Looks like it will be about 31.72 oz wt underwater. I can at least start with those numbers. A couple of pounds of lift will probably make things just about right!

Strobe YS-D1
[Weight] : 610g / 21.5oz (w/o batteries) * Attached a YS Mount
Strobe Adaptor and a fixing bolt to the Strobe.
[Underwater weight] : Approx.+0.5g / 0.02oz(w/ batteries)

Housing MDX RX100MII
[Weight] Approx. 800g / 28.0oz (housing only)
[Underwater weight] Approx.900g / 31.7oz (including the camera)

Last edited:
Stix floats will give you 13.5oz for a set of four. ULCS large buoyancy arms will give you 4.5oz each for 8" arms. With a single strobe, you may find your rig out of balance. Another solution I've seen is home-made floats from a length of capped PVC pipe running across the top of the tray handles, between the two. I've also found that a buoyant rig is worse than a negative one, as when you tie it off to do other tasks it floats in your face.

Stix floats will give you 13.5oz for a set of four. ULCS large buoyancy arms will give you 4.5oz each for 8" arms. With a single strobe, you may find your rig out of balance. Another solution I've seen is home-made floats from a length of capped PVC pipe running across the top of the tray handles, between the two. I've also found that a buoyant rig is worse than a negative one, as when you tie it off to do other tasks it floats in your face.

I have a tray for it. It has lockline arms, one on each side with GoBe 700's. The housing and the strobe sit between the locline arms. I also mount a GOPro on the cold shoe on top of the housing. I saw the STix floats but don't know if they will fit over the locline, it is 3/4" locline. I would more than likely put the STix on the locline arms and add them to the arm for the strobe as well to balance things out a bit. It looks like that will take 2 of the jumbo sets of them, or 1 jumbo and one regular sized set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom