Me or the Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last thing you want to do is detune your regs all the way down. Harder to breathe = CO2 production and retention = CO2 headache = bad.

Post your SAC rates and bottom times, if you would...

Spectrum, you mentioned diaphram conditioning. One of my aspects of healthy living is swimming about 4 times a week. I used to swim competively back in "the" day (no longer a spring chicken here, lol) but do practice the swiming several strokes before I take a breath. Do you think that will help with the diaphram conditioning? Or better yet, just sitting at the bottom of the pool holding my breath?

Since you are already in the pool try 20 minutes of swimming with your mask, snorkel and fins. Read this page when you have a few minutes, I explain why there.

Also good to see you seem to be back on track, it can only get better.

Pete

Sparticle, I'm at work right now.....when I get home tonight, I'll post the 3 sac rates I mentioned previously. Btw, thanks for the concern, but I don't have to pull awfully hard to get air out of my reg, the reg was tuned way too high to begin with. It was tuned down to be where it should have been in the first place, but thanks for the info on the CO2 headache. I certainly don't want that!!!!

Spectrum, Good article with lots of good info. I see you mentioned the CO2 headache as well!! I only got 1/2 thru it. I'll have to read the rest of it at home. Lunch hour has expired & alas, I have to return to work.

Btw, now I know why my husband's air consumption has improved so much. He's not a very good swimmer so he does swim w/the mask, snorkel & fins. I'm gonna be packing my mask & snorkel in my gym bag from now on!!!! Unfortunately have to leave the fins behind. I don't end up with a good workout with those fins on. I only get in 3 arm strokes before I'm at the other end of the pool, lol.

Ya know something? I LOVE this board!!! You all are a great source of information!!! Thank you one and all!!!!

I'll be back later to post those sac rates & any other comments after I finish reading spectrum's article.

Okay this might be a kind of nonsensical response, but this is something that I noticed helped me. I bought my own reg after a really bad rental experience and, while it isn't "high tech" at all, I love it. But my air consumption went through the roof. I used Al63s all through my certification courses but then all of a sudden, I was blowing through them while my husband was only 1/2 of the way through his. I was beyond frustrated and very concerned what was going on.

At the end of a dive in January, I found that I had completely bitten through the mouthpiece on my reg. It was 1 part nerves, 1 part that I just had to work so #$*% hard to keep it in my mouth. I tried a couple of mouthpieces and found one that helps it stay in my mouth while diving (with very little effort) and - voila! - my air consumption is now better (generally) than my husband's. Just a thought.

I can't find a picture of it online, but it has a little bit that fits just behind my front teeth. If you are interested, I can photograph it later when I get home. :D

BTW - I love that icon you've got scubacatgirl! too cute!

Interesting concept Sarita & yes, I would very much be interested in the mouthpiece you have. Mine is ok, but that's it, just ok. It would be nice to have a more comfortable one. I looked into the Sea Cure mouthpiece, but yikes, it's expensive. But, like all equipment, expense is no measure if it helps the sport! I guess I really should just bite the bullet & go for it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to take a picture of it & posting it, and thanks for the compliment.

Ok Sparticle, you'll have to bear with me. I didn't write down the average depth on my dive's in 2006 (prior to the new reg), so these sac rate calculations are close guesstimates.

48 ft - 44 min - at depth 47.13 - at surface - 18.85
75 ft - 41 min - at depth 33.24 - at surface - 10.07
34 ft - 30 min - at depth 44.95 - at surface - 22.48

2007 w/the new reg

40 ft - 44 min - at depth 59.58 - at surface - 27.26
35 ft - 35 min - at depth 54.46 - at surface - 25.93
29 ft - 42 min - at depth 44.19 - at surface - 23.26 (this is where I started sticking my tongue into the mouthpiece in order to decrease the flow of air, lol)

2007 after I had the reg tuned to the proper percusion

18 ft - 36 min - at depth 33.83 - at surface - 22.56
18 ft - 34 min - at depth 37.1 - at surface - 24.74

So what do you think?

Hmmmm, after looking at it now, I think I have some work to do.

Allright - here are the photos of the mouthpiece. I still don't know much about it other than I love it. :) Sorry that you have to click on the links, I didn't really feel that it was necessary to add the photos into my album.

In the 1st photo ("mouthpiece.jpg") you can see it as it would go into your mouth. There is a arched bit that fits behind your front teeth. Its somewhat soft so it doesn't pull or hurt your teeth. The other two photos ("mouthpiece (1).jpg" and "mouthpiece (2).jpg") show that same arch in a top view.

Anyhow, hope the suggestion might help. As I mentioned, my drastic increase in air consumption was really troublesome to me and this seems (at least for some reason) to have resolved the majority of my issues.

Attachments

• Mouthpiece.jpg
    Mouthpiece.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Mouthpiece (1).jpg
    Mouthpiece (1).jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Mouthpiece (2).jpg
    Mouthpiece (2).jpg
    161 KB · Views: 20
Sarita, those mouthpieces are called "Comfo-bite" mouthpieces. They are great because they "hang up" behind your top-front teeth (for lack of a more technical phrase :wink: ), so you don't actually have to bite down with a death grip on them, in fact I rarely ever bite down on mine at all and it stays perfectly in place.

Sarita, those mouthpieces are called "Comfo-bite" mouthpieces.
Thanks for the name on them Chris - now I will know if I ever need to buy another one. And yes .... yes they are awesome. :)

I

48 ft - 44 min - at depth 47.13 - at surface - 18.85
75 ft - 41 min - at depth 33.24 - at surface - 10.07
34 ft - 30 min - at depth 44.95 - at surface - 22.48

2007 w/the new reg

40 ft - 44 min - at depth 59.58 - at surface - 27.26
35 ft - 35 min - at depth 54.46 - at surface - 25.93
29 ft - 42 min - at depth 44.19 - at surface - 23.26

Assuming that you are diving an Al 80 the SAC rate of 10.07 psi works out to 0.26 CuFt/min which is just about impossible.

If you are not using an accurate average depth then I suspect there is just too much random noise in the figures to draw any conclusions from.

Personally I adjust my reg so there is a little breathing resistance. I dont care for the feeling that it is pushing air into my mouth.

Sarita & Chrispete, Thank You!!!!!! I'll go get that mouthpiece or the Sea Cure mouthpiece. Anything to help won't hurt, that's for sure!!!!! And after posting my SAC rates and really looking at them in a post rather than at a quick glance as I did the other afternoon, reflects I have a lot of work to do. I'll be taking Spectrum's suggestion & swimming w/my mask & snorkel, singing a lot, lol and learning how to slowly bring in air versus how I used to bring in air with my old reg.

Gosh darn it, lol, and here I was thinking I finally gotten more comfortable in my diving. Santa, I agree with you. This has been frustrating!!!! But with everyone's suggestions and help here, I just might lick this problem! Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom