Meanwhile in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't say it's common, but it does seem to happen more than it should. I was thinking the same reading the article. It sounded like there may not have been anyone on board.

It certainly does not happen on my boat. There is always at least one person capable of operating the boat and calling for help should that be needed. Currents pick up, or otherwise things happen. While rare, there have been a couple of instances where the anchored boat came to pick me up. No danger, just currents were a bit stronger than expected so it would have taken a bit to swim back.

I'll never understand why some insist it's fine to leave no one on the boat in open water. I could somewhat understand in protected water, but not open.
Not all of us have friends who are divers or qualified boat operators etc. For a lot of people it is go alone or don't go at all.

There are some wrecks that the boat ties into and divers go down and up the line. Jim Atria, Okinawa come to mind. I’m certain there are others.
He means here in SE Florida, diving in the Gulf Stream, where the divers got separated from their anchored boat.

Not all of us have friends who are divers or qualified boat operators etc. For a lot of people it is go alone or don't go at all.
Then, I guess they need to be prepared for the risks they may be taking. A lot of this may be location centric, but in FL, and especially SE FL, I see this as a real bad idea. Weather can change quickly. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion where I start the dive in calm conditions and surface with a storm blowing in and drastically different conditions.

These stories are not unusual. Sometimes they are found, sometimes they are not. A better outcome would be a non-story where the boat operator simply motors over to pick up the divers.

There are some wrecks that the boat ties into and divers go down and up the line. Jim Atria, Okinawa come to mind. I’m certain there are others.

You can certainly dive wrecks in SE Florida without having to drift them. Without someone topside who can operate the boat, the risk of getting blown off the wreck and separated from your unmanned boat would be unacceptable to anyone who values their life. I don’t see any real reason to dive in SE Florida (or anywhere with current and tides) from a boat without someone topside. You’re just asking for trouble.

The old adage “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” applies here.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom