Media Storage Units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcknight4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a trip to Truk leaving 3/18. What is the best way to store digital images? I was just going to bring extra memory but more experienced divers suggest storage units offered by Archos, Flashtrax, Digibin and the like. I just need a low cost, secure, easy to use device to hold my pictures. I would appreciate advice from digital camera users.

McKinght:

Welcome to the scubaboard. You might want to post an introduction in the meet and greet section. As to your question, it has been discussed a number of times. Check out THIS THREAD for a pretty thorough discussion. I transport photos using my iPod photo as a storage device, but you need a Belkin media reader (which I don't have) to go directly from camera to to iPod instead of using it a device to shuttle between computers. I have read mixed reviews regarding the Belkin product.

---Bob

mcknight4:
I am planning a trip to Truk leaving 3/18. What is the best way to store digital images? I was just going to bring extra memory but more experienced divers suggest storage units offered by Archos, Flashtrax, Digibin and the like. I just need a low cost, secure, easy to use device to hold my pictures. I would appreciate advice from digital camera users.

Well first, Welcome, and enjoy Truk!

I've used the Belkin deal and while I dearly love the iPod - as photo storage it makes a great mp3 player.

Best solution I have used by a giant quantum leap is a gizmo called a "disk steno". Basically, you plug in a memory card and it cuts a CD. So you just take along that and some blank CDs. Cheap and deadly!

ScubaBOBuba:
McKinght:

Welcome to the scubaboard. You might want to post an introduction in the meet and greet section. As to your question, it has been discussed a number of times. Check out THIS THREAD for a pretty thorough discussion. I transport photos using my iPod photo as a storage device, but you need a Belkin media reader (which I don't have) to go directly from camera to to iPod instead of using it a device to shuttle between computers. I have read mixed reviews regarding the Belkin product.

---Bob

Thanks for the info. I'll probably bring my laptop to Truk. I have enough new equipment to worry about. I will post an intro shortly.

Hi - Check out the roadstor by Microsolutions. Takes the info from the flashcard and burns it to cd or dvd [ the dvd cost about $100. more ] I see it at Bestbuy and Circuit City for about $249. It has video out ports so you can view your images on most TVs.
It's a lot smaller than your lap top.
I see by the date that you are just about to land in Guam so,,,,
Hope you got some great images and better memories.

I went with the Archos Gmini 400 after months of research. It does not replace the laptop which I believe is essential while travelling and shooting digital - you need the feedback from viewing after each dive to improve on the next.

I chose the Gmini because it did all I needed it to do with no messing around with adaptors, it was small and light, the screen is really nice, the battery life is great. It is a snap to load music - from ANY source, to load from CF cards and to hook to the computer. You can also load and view movies/shows...the video play back is nice. Here is a little review I did

HTH

Take a look at B&H PhotoVideo....they are selling the PicturePad at decent prices. It is being discontinued ...replaced by a more expensive model....but I talked to the company that makes it and they plan to support it for years. I just love the one I got.

rich

Back
Top Bottom