Medic FA being replaced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UKPhil

Registered
Reaction score
I see from the latest "Undersea Journal" that the PADI Medic First Aid course is being phased out and replaced by 2 Medical Responder courses. DMs will be able to train to teach these. Those of you in the know, do you know why this change is being made and is it going to be a change for the better?

Hmmm. let's see:

1 class being split into 2.

Could it be $$$$$$$?

First I've heard of this. Be interesting to see what happens.

They have been working on this for some time. The current Medic First Aid course was developed by another company. PADI only held the license to teach it. I am pretty sure that the $50 we pay every two years goes directly EMP, Intl (the other company). I have not read my new Undersea Journal yet, I am curious to see what the new course is like.

The program PADI will be switching to seems to have been developed by another company.

CPR and first response are mandatory for the first course, and Automated External Defibrillator use is a recommended skill. Choking management seems to be another recommended skill.

The second course covers more general first aid.

I looked through the latest journal and didn't see anything. Where is it?

There was a separate booklet included in with the Journal mailing, possibly didn't get sent out in all areas?

I don't see why this would require 2 seperate courses.

I think it is allot more in depth than the current PADI MFA course. I don't really think this is a bad thing.

cmay once bubbled...
I think it is allot more in depth than the current PADI MFA course. I don't really think this is a bad thing.

I agree, I think it's a good thing. It's about time padi changed the mfa course since it was not recognized by anybody except padi. It's not a bad course but the fact that by mfa instructors teaching/evaluating cpr and not being cpr instructors themselves, might pose a liability should a mfa certified person administer cpr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom