Medical Privacy Concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True. What do they do after you check "yes" to the question, "Are you presently taking prescription medicines"?

"They" don't do anything. That is between you and your doctor. If your doctor thinks the prescriptions are no big deal, then your doctor signs off on the form and you are ready to go.

So, say you had an STD. Would you be perfectly happy for the entire world to know this? What about erectile dysfunction? Incontinence?

Yeah, usually all of the above, but only after I've done the prescription drugs and move on to the recreational ones.

"They" don't do anything. That is between you and your doctor. If your doctor thinks the prescriptions are no big deal, then your doctor signs off on the form and you are ready to go.

But the dive shops do ask the question, "Which prescription?". The dive shop is actually doing this to hopefully prevent the student/diver fro having to go to the doctor (and pay for the visit).

But the dive shops do ask the question, "Which prescription?". The dive shop is actually doing this to hopefully prevent the student/diver fro having to go to the doctor (and pay for the visit).
I've never been asked, nor heard the question asked of others. The dive shop by most standards must require a physician's release once the question is initially answered as "yes" - whatever the prescription (except for anti-malarial and birth control, as mentioned in the form).

I've never been asked, nor heard the question asked of others. The dive shop by most standards must require a physician's release once the question is initially answered as "yes" - whatever the prescription (except for anti-malarial and birth control, as mentioned in the form).

Me either.

I wold never dream of asking myself, and I guarantee that if I did ask and a student complained, I would get an earful from our course director.

If a shop asks for that, then they are out of bounds and should be told so.

Edit: I am both an instructor in our shop and a student (technical diving). I take prescription medications. It is on my form, and no one has displayed the slightest interest in asking about which ones.

I am brand new to the sport. I am all for the emphasis on safety, being medically cleared etc. but I do have a concern about privacy. While I understand the need for shops to have a signed waiver before they take you on a dive, I really don't want my medical history to be documented and available to whomever. Is there any way around this? It seems to me that having a signed dive release from a doctor and signing a general waiver of responsibility should be enough without having to list all the details. If you are concerned about emergency response personnel being aware of a particular condition, you could wear a medical alert necklace. Any thoughts on this?

In a perfect world, a doctor familial with you and your health could probably determine if you should or should not be diving. Unfortunately many people in the diving industry know more about which medical conditions might present a problem and which drugs might be cause for concern. The diving environment is not very forgiving and since the people you learn from are responsible for your life, they need to know your medical condition and any drugs you are taking. You would want the same in their position.

JFTR, I am not squeamish about some little, or big personal detail. What I do not support is the requirement to divulge such info or hints I might have, to persons IMHO have no business requiring it and is my call to share, just as is not share.

As a child you want to play a sport. The school does not require a similar form which is clearly a perfect opportunity to just evade the point or purpose. The school does require the child visit their physician, for a professional opinion if this activity is suitable for the child. At least back when I was processing scads of them (tedious, time consuming and every parent complained at the cost of about $0.05 an hour.)

I use a prescription medicine; for one thing my insurance will pay for it and is considerably more expensive otherwise. So I needed the mommy note. What I did not resent was 2 doctors mind you, took the time to investigate if, knowing me; they did/could agree this activity was suitable for me personally i.e. not according to the form per se and only respond to; is this RX a no no for diving or not.

I get what the form intention is. What I don't get is why they think it really works more than on occasion.
So ok, maybe it is just a liability waver then? Back to square one the middle man -or the one with such document lying around forever who knows where.

As for the instructors ethics, or whatever. I'm not bashing you for feeling responsible for the health and safety for your students, far from it. And IMO you are well within your rights to pick and choose just whom you will be willing to possibly risk your life for.

I respond more constructively to positive reinforcement than negative. Positive would be; have a sit down conversation with a potential student to discuss learning to dive is not just hoping on a bike with training wheels. There are risks that should be considered before investing in the required education, to be allowed to dive pretty much anywhere. Introduction of examples such as medical aspects we do not know yet are affected by diving and those that are. Educate adults giving them credit to make adult, educated choices.
Hint, hint; pregnancy = gee, maybe I'd better wait until I'm not trying to get preggers. Maybe I am??? Rather than, having to tell strangers you are in the throes of wanting a baby without success and hoping the magic will happen on that south seas vacation you've been saving up for. Or, not willing to and just saying nope, not pregnant (yet.)

Please tell me if you are mental patient.
Ok, go ahead and call it a learning disability, I'm still not teaching you is to me, confrontational. And I will respond accordingly. I seriously doubt many people will freely admit to total strangers they are under any psychiatric care, suffer panic attacks, yet will readily admit sometimes they feel panicky.
"Some emotional responses are not compatible with the underwater environment."
Oh? Like what?
Tendency to panic, uncontrollable responses can be dangerous to a diver and buddies.
Ok, good to know that. I'll think about that one. Wait! So if I did that, you have to do the same bad thing! (Don't like the sound of that, I'm a nice person, sure don't want to harm anyone.) Let's talk more about this for a minute.
How do I get more advice?

And if you think this is a stupid discussion, why are you participating? You are not required to. Gee, how often do you pull that at gatherings, walk up and say, "you guys are stupid", and stand there?
Come to think of it, the vision brings a smile.
Mahalo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom